Passport Stolen In Europe

Hello Everyone,

I have an elderly Italian friend who has resided in Thailand for more than 20 years on a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa, with consecutive 1-year extensions. Every year he returns to Italy for one month to attend to matters concerning property ownership there. Last week, whilst travelling from Alassio in Italy to Nice in France to catch his flight to Bangkok, his travel bag was stolen whilst he was in a service area on the autostrada. His Italian passport, containing his Thai visa and extensions, was in this bag.

He was forced to cancel his return to Thailand whilst he obtained a new Italian passport urgently. On arrival at Don Muang, he was given a 30-day entry stamp in his new passport.

I would like to point him in the right direction as to how he can establish his previous status in his new passport, at the least cost to him, i.e. having his new passport endorsed to show that he has a Non-Immigrant Visa' with a current 1-year extension on retirement criteria.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated greatly. Thanks to everyone.

Artisan

He needs to talk with immigration himself to be sure. He may have to go outside to obtain an O visa as he has nothing now but only immigration can make that decision. Immigration should have records of old visa and re-entry permit so should not be a big problem. Perhaps you could go with him if he has a problem being understood. He should take what information he has with him (police/passport reports or old photo copies) but his file at immigration should have the information needed to get him back on track.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your advice.

I've explained to him that he'll have to talk nicely to the Pattaya Immigration and rely on them being in a sympathetic mood. I will go with him.

His re-entry permit appilication (held in Pattaya Immigration) might be the key to his success in re-establishing his status. It will include everything relating to his stolen passport and the visas therein.

Thanks again.

Artisan

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up on this. Yes, we went to the Immigration Office in Pattaya and explained his predicament to the Immigration Officer at the reception counter. After a short conversation with a captain at the back of the office, the Immigration Officer returned and said that my friend would have to leave Thailand to apply for another Non-Immigrant Visa.....OR, he could have his new passport stamped there for 20,000 baht...and no questions asked! I mentioned that they would have his re-entry application form complete with a photograph, a copy of the original passport and Non-Imm. Visa with extensions and suggested that that would be sufficent basis to re-establish his status. "Cannot" was the reply. I ask you, what are these people like?

My friend said that he would "think about it"!

The following day we went to the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok and explained the problem there. A Senior Immigration Officer telephoned the Pattaya Immigration Office and asked for the re-entry application to be faxed quickly to Bangkok. The Senior Officer asked us for the name of the Pattaya Immigration Officer who wanted 20,000 baht. We thought it would be best not to divulge the name as both of us will need to use the Immigration Office in Pattaya again and again. Twenty minutes later, the fax came through and my friend's passport was endorsed to show his original status. The service was courteous, sympathetic and free.

Artisan

To learn a bit more - why, oh why, did you discuss the 20k with any other officer? Next time your friend needs to go to Pattaya Imm. Office he will be a marked man.

Keep shtumm about these things. You could have said you were in BKK to visit friends and thought it best to use their facilities, even though the file was in Pattaya. Then face is saved all round.

I don't think that we will be "marked men" when we go to the Pattaya Immigration Office. I have lived in Jomtien for ten years and, naturally, use the local Pattaya Immigration Office for visa extensions/re-entry-permits etc. There is usually an embarrased demand for "gratuity" payments, or gifts, by many of the officers there, including some at a senior level. Once, when applying for my 1-year extension, I was greeted with the words "I want whisky" by a captain who was about to initial the extension stamp. Last year, a female captain asked for 500 baht towards her purchase of a PC and she would initial my passport immediately, otherwise it would be ready for collection the following day. I declined both times without any problem afterwards.

Even now, "gratuities" are sometimes asked for from new residents when they do a simple 90-day reporting! The reporting process is free!!!

If we had said that we were in Bangkok to 'visit friends', we would have been redirected politely to the Pattaya Immigration Office where his file is held. I know that.

Artisan

The Senior Officer asked us for the name of the Pattaya Immigration Officer who wanted 20,000 baht. We thought it would be best not to divulge the name as both of us will need to use the Immigration Office in Pattaya again and again.

Nothing good could come of leveling a formal accusation against the officer in Pattaya. In the great scheme of things, a single immigrations official will always trump a roomful of farang witnesses. Even if a video tape existed of the official making the demand, his out will always be that there was a communications barrier and his intention was misunderstood. :o

Doesn't sound like there was any long-term harm done here. I'm sure the next time your friend returns to the office in Pattaya, the staff will all act like nothing ever happened.

Spot on Mr. Ovenman.

Just a post script to this thread.........This problem that we have with minor corruption in the Pattaya Immigration Office, or indeed any provincial Immigration Office, is because many "resident" farangs offer gratuities or other gifts, even though they are not demanded nor are necessary. I've seen the odd bottle of Johnny Black, wrapped in plain paper, being deposited under an officer's desk. In other words, these farangs are part of the problem.

I've tried to understand the reason for this but I can only put it down to some sort of swanky idea about their status...........or maybe they have something to hide!!

Artisan