Marriage Visa

As i know the Thai law has recently changed to ask proof of a monthly minimum income of 40.000 bath, plus a deposit of 400.000 bath for any "farang "spouse of a Thai citizen wishing to live in Thailand.These are the conditions required in order to get a marriage visa,failing these you should be not allowed to stay in Thailand with your spouse.Never mind all the related issues about reciprocity with other countries and the fact that there is no government welfare system in Thailand for Thai people let alone for farangs......so how could farang spouses not earning a hefty 40.000 monthly but still supporting themselves be cosidered parasites?

As harsh as all this business may sound there must be a way around it.There are countless men living in Thailand with a Thai wife.How do they do it?

My question is:is this 40.000 a month requirement just in the case the foreign spouse in the supporting one,i.e,the husband?If the couple income would come from,say,the wife's farm-land in her name or a business in her name,would this make the difference? Would immigration still ask for the 40.000 monthly or a normal Thai income?

If marriage visa is a no-option,what is then the best way to live more or less permanently with your Thai wife in Thailand?Are double entry visas,non-immigrant visas,and tourist visas a viable option?Wich one is the most cost-effective?

I would like to thank anyone who has been there before me and can speak with the eyes of experience.

Have a nice day everyone........ :

A man is expected to support his wife. His wife is expected to travel to the home country of her husband. If there are serious reasons she can not do this and has the means to support her husband it is possible to obtain an extension of stay but this is not a common occurrence from information available on Division 3 web site.

Now if you have legal employment here do not believe the 40k per month is always required. Immigration usually can work with people who try to work with them.

You have not indicated any intent to work or of having any funds. With marriage you should be able to obtain a non immigrant visa allowing 90 day visits. This is all you can normally get if you do not prove support.

I think you will find most countries have income requirements for long term stay; even if married.

:o Well, man, I think you have the misinformation. The income requirement are basically 40,000 baht a month or bank balance in excess of 400.000 baht. I have the military pension with a small bank account and I shall have a new one-year stamp soon. I supported my claim with Black Johnny also. If you can't make it then it is possible, so I've heard to borrow money from the boys in brown for one day. Sometime they wear white shirts riding in Benz.

Thailand has a somewhat unusual view regarding foreign males residency rights if they are married to a Thai woman. In most Developed Countries if a citizen e.g. of Australia, wishes to marry a foreigner the sponsoring spouse (male or female) has to demonstrate their ability to support the foreign partner. I cannot recall the T's & C's. After two years the foreign spouse can gain Australian citizenship.

In Thailand only Thai males can sponsor a foreign female spouse. Similar rights for Thai females do not exist. This law was reviewed approx six months ago & was upheld.

Thailand has a somewhat unusual view regarding foreign males residency rights if they are married to a Thai woman. In most Developed Countries if a citizen e.g. of Australia, wishes to marry a foreigner the sponsoring spouse (male or female) has to demonstrate their ability to support the foreign partner.

Yes buuuuuuuuuuuutttttt............

As the saying goes, "THIS IS THAILAND".

With marriage you should be able to obtain a non immigrant visa allowing 90 day visits.  This is all you can normally get if you do not prove support.

But is it normal and customary for the 90 day visa runs with non-immigrant Os/Thai Spouse to get repeated extensions/renewals over a period of years(without proof of income OR yearly inward transfers of 400,000 baht) ?

Thanks.

With marriage you should be able to obtain a non immigrant visa allowing 90 day visits.  This is all you can normally get if you do not prove support.

But is it normal and customary for the 90 day visa runs with non-immigrant Os/Thai Spouse to get repeated extensions/renewals over a period of years(without proof of income OR yearly inward transfers of 400,000 baht) ?

Thanks.

It is not normal and customary but it has happened often in the past. It is less likely now with most local consulates not issuing multi entry visas but have not heard of anyone being forced to be apart from their wife.

But much better to work with immigration and try to obtain extension of stay if you have valid reasons for being below the normal 400k/40k window I would think.