Does Thailand Have The Fashion Police ?

engineer

Just wondering about something . When you buy clothes in Thailand and the tag says ' X-Large or Adult ' , does this also apply to tourists or are the sizes mentioned just for Thais ?

If so , can someone please tell this guy .post-50932-1195972826_thumb.jpg

I can tell you really had to search hard for such a fascinating topic <not>. I am guessing that the guy in the photograph was out there having fun and not caring about his sartorial elegance.

CB

As soon as I read the subject heading I thought the same as Gimble. The 'fashion police' is typically a US / UK mindset.

Get over it mate theres more to life than some dudes freaky clothes combo.

:o:D:D Just as well judging by some of the outfits seen around Chiangmai :D

Generally I don't give a stuff how people dress, but I do get p'd off when I see male tourists wandering about topless, or women in what could generously be described as beach/swim wear on the streets - don't they read the cultural do's and don'ts sections in their Lonely Planets and Rough Guides?

Apart form any cultural considerations - wandering the streets at dusk with only around 30% of their bodies covered is just plain dumb - (warning - Americanism alert) - Hello! Have you never heard of mosquitoes? Do you really look forward to a case of dengue, malaria or similar?

OK, I know malaria is pretty much wiped out in Chiangmai, but dengue is a perennial problem and ultimately far worse than malaria, but ask yourself why this fair city has a government-run malaria centre.

(OK that's my "crusty old fart" rant out of the way - you can get on with life now :D

Just wondering about something . When you buy clothes in Thailand and the tag says ' X-Large or Adult ' , does this also apply to tourists or are the sizes mentioned just for Thais ?

12 posts huh? Keep trying. You might come up with something intelligent eventually.

12 posts huh? Keep trying. You might come up with something intelligent eventually.

I too wonder how this picture can invoke 12 responses..........oops, I mean 13

If it was Speedo's and sandals with socks pulled up tight then yes. People should be arrested on sight and deported immediatley. And to the miserable posters who seem to loose their sense of humour as soon as they log onto TV, thats if they ever had one to loose, then get a life. ITS A FUNNY POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Blah thats nothing.

But when some idiot is walking down the street without a shirt on like he is on Koh Chang. or when female tourists visit temples with extremely lowcut shirts, exposed shoulders and short shorts. Then I have a problem. I am really surprised that

1. They don't look at other people and realize everyone else has their shirt on, even if they are hot.

2. That commonsense wouldn't kick in to tell it's not polite.

I saw two woman wearing bikini tops and short shorts walking down the street. I hate to say it, but how much do you want to be the police response to their rape might sound something like "The way they dressed caused the action" :nonono:

Bad taste I can deal with, but bad manners and dressing disrespectfully I get irksome.

Thats nothing! Years ago there used to be an old German guy living here. Big belly, long beard. He wore a thong speedo everywhere. When he went into town, he put on a t-shirt.

Ever since then, very little bothers me. :o

Blah thats nothing.

But when some idiot is walking down the street without a shirt on like he is on Koh Chang. or when female tourists visit temples with extremely lowcut shirts, exposed shoulders and short shorts. Then I have a problem. I am really surprised that

1. They don't look at other people and realize everyone else has their shirt on, even if they are hot.

2. That commonsense wouldn't kick in to tell it's not polite.

I saw two woman wearing bikini tops and short shorts walking down the street. I hate to say it, but how much do you want to be the police response to their rape might sound something like "The way they dressed caused the action" :nonono:

Bad taste I can deal with, but bad manners and dressing disrespectfully I get irksome.

Yes, I tend to agree with you - these foreigners like many other foreigners are well aware of the cultural protocol, but again many foreigners think they can just do what they like - the protocol doesn't apply to them. Although it bothers me, I have spoken to many Thai friends who actually don't get offended at all. They simply shrug it off and laugh, saying 'it's a farang not a Thai, so it's OK'. I've been here a long time and I personally haven't seen a group of scantily clad tourists asked to leave a restaurant Thai or foreign - (I'm not saying they haven't I'm just saying I haven't seen it). So I guess until the services are withdrawn by establishments or someone stands at the temple entrances turning people away, then the practice will continue.

So I guess until the services are withdrawn by establishments or someone stands at the temple entrances turning people away, then the practice will continue.

At some temples and special places, especially where fees are charged for entry it happens. Last time I was at Wat Arun two women and a man in one group were refused entry, the women because they were wearing bikini tops and the man for very short shorts. They were not happy but were stopped at the entry gate and to to go back and change clothes.

Wat Doi Suthep will tell people they can't come in if they are wearing shorts or women not wearing long sleeves shirts. Most of those that do these things know that it is socially and culturally inappropriate but offer the excuse "but I am on holiday". At our temple the Thais will look at the wandering farung viewing the murals on the inside walls and step over and around the Thais who are patiently waiting to make tambun. The monks and Thai simply shrug and put it up as another reason they are lucky to be Thai and not a farung.

It never ceases to amaze me the things that westerners do in this country, or their own country for that matter.

CB

So I guess until the services are withdrawn by establishments or someone stands at the temple entrances turning people away, then the practice will continue.

At some temples and special places, especially where fees are charged for entry it happens. Last time I was at Wat Arun two women and a man in one group were refused entry, the women because they were wearing bikini tops and the man for very short shorts. They were not happy but were stopped at the entry gate and to to go back and change clothes.

Wat Doi Suthep will tell people they can't come in if they are wearing shorts or women not wearing long sleeves shirts. Most of those that do these things know that it is socially and culturally inappropriate but offer the excuse "but I am on holiday". At our temple the Thais will look at the wandering farung viewing the murals on the inside walls and step over and around the Thais who are patiently waiting to make tambun. The monks and Thai simply shrug and put it up as another reason they are lucky to be Thai and not a farung.

It never ceases to amaze me the things that westerners do in this country, or their own country for that matter.

CB

OK I'll concede on the Temples, but what about eating establishments Thai and Foreign owned? Somehow I cannot see either asking half a dozen spenders to leave, bikini or no bikini. So for the foreigners who are really bothered by this and own restaurants, perhaps they should take the lead? :o

Maybe his mum bought him that top when he was thirteen and he's become really attached to it. :o

Or it was the market stall girl told "no promplem sir, one sye fit all"

As for the temples thing, I know some temples that have sarongs at the entrance to loan out to inappropriately dressed visitors.

OK I'll concede on the Temples, but what about eating establishments Thai and Foreign owned? Somehow I cannot see either asking half a dozen spenders to leave, bikini or no bikini. So for the foreigners who are really bothered by this and own restaurants, perhaps they should take the lead? :D

Or no bikini? :o I can think of one restaurant on Th. Arrak that has a sign telling all patrons to dress appropriately or service will be refused. I saw the owner of one of the Arabic (Muslim) restaurants in Anuasan Market ask two people to leave because it was against his religious values to have a girl with a white singlet and very tight shorts in his restaurant. It appeared that some of his customers objected and asked him to refuse the service. He offered the girl a shawl to cover her upper torso but she refused to he asked them to go.

I agree that it is difficult for any business owner to do this because it affects their ability to make money but everyone has personal ethics and I think good on him for apply them in this case.

When I visit my dentist all customers remove their shoes outside the door. They supply a variety of blue slip on flip flops but unfortunately not size 11 for me so I take my own rather than wear bare feet inside the clinic. This is common and polite. My girlfriend was shocked to see a friend of ours walk in through the front door with his boots on. She offered to take them from him but he said "he was fine and not to bother" I asked him to take them off and he muttered something about "people who go native". He is a good friend but refuses to bow to local customs, he has his way and I guess it works for him, but it isn't for me.

CB

Ok , I agree it was a pathetic posting .

But , IU had just returned from getting bombarded by missiles on the bridge and more importantly , I was DRUNK !!!

I will try to do better next time .

I now have a post it on my computer reminding me NOT to post on Thaivisa when under the affulance of incohol.

What kind of engineer worries about how other guys dress ??

This from a string puppet with a pencil for a nose and lives of the moon? :D

I have found that engineers as a profession dress with good taste and style - until they move to Thailand and we end up in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

:o

CB

Ok , I agree it was a pathetic posting .

But , IU had just returned from getting bombarded by missiles on the bridge and more importantly , I was DRUNK !!!

I will try to do better next time .

I now have a post it on my computer reminding me NOT to post on Thaivisa when under the affulance of incohol.

Dont feel to bad you have outposted every other topic here so far, judging by all the responses. I think the people responding here are really just frustrated fashion police wanabees .urrmm ..cough... except me of course :o