Dengue

Oswulf

What's the correct translation of dengue or breakbone fever, please?

LEXiTRON gives ไข้เลือดออก - but I think this is more like any haemorrhagic fever.

thai-language.com gives ไข้ส่า - but blisters or sores aren't a defining characteristic of the disease.

My other dictionaries draw a blank.

Thanks

LEXiTRON gives ไข้เลือดออก - but I think this is more like any haemorrhagic fever.

thai-language.com gives ไข้ส่า - but blisters or sores aren't a defining characteristic of the disease.

My other dictionaries draw a blank.

Thanks

My English/Lao dictionary gives the former as specifically Dengue fever, but I agree it does sound like any haemorrhagic fever. Also aren't there two forms of Dengue, haemorrhagic and non-haemorrhagic?

edit> typo

Edited by phibunmike

There have been earlier threads on this subject, although there is no definite answer in either of them:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...0&hl=dengue

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...1&hl=dengue

I googled for a while and it seems like the distinction is not always made clear. It is common to just talk about ไข้เลือดออก when referring to either type.

However, I did find a few websites which distinguish ไข้เดงกี่ (Dengue Fever : DF) from ไข้เลือดออกเดงกี่ (Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever).

This may be because the references are translated from an English source that makes this distinction; I don't know whether the majority of Thai doctors or experts would use these terms.

Ok, to shed some more light.

I checked the etiology on the WHO website.

Dengue Fever (DF) and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) and Dengue Shock Syndrome are degrees of severity, of the same basic condition. Not different diseases.

The most commonly used Thai term is indeed ไข้เลือดออก - this typically does not refer to just any type of hemorrhagic fever.

thai-language.com gives ไข้ส่า

Thanks

I think ไข้เลือดออก is by far the most used, especially in the official circles.

Haemorrhagic dengue, especially.

ไข้ส่า is also used, probably more at the common people's level. Not as well known.

I saw it used for dengue as well.