Christmas Is Coming

Humphrey Bear

Actually I will be eating in the Aramco canteen - somewhere in Saudi.

But I had promised to look around for friends.

Talked with Keith in Caddy Shack, but he has an invitation-only 60-place party fully-booked.

However, if anyone wants home-cooked mince pies and so on, he is looking at off-sales. But place your orders soon, because he will be baking from now on. Didn't ask about Christmas Pud, but it's worth calling him.

Where else? Harley Bar is now the Eden Hotel Bar & Restaurant, so may be a different atmosphere.

Liberty Mansion? Lion Bar or the eatery next door?

Tigglebitties down Soi 17? Very friendly staff, good Thai cook.

Sounds like you need a venue in soi 17? What about the new place next to Tigglebitties - LEC I think its called. Looks quite good from the outside.

I personally don't need a venue - Soi 17 or elsewhere. I'll be eating in a Saudi Aramco canteen, drinking Pepsi.

But several friends have asked me about Christmas parties with the full English treatment - turkey, roast potatoes, Christmas pud and mince pies. So I posted on here.

It is LEC, which is a closed-in establishment with a/c, therefore non-smoking, whereas Tiggiebitties is an open area, thus smoking permitted. (Well, that's a simplified version - pedants will correct me).

What about Tropical Bert's? What about Crazy Dave's? What about Greg's Kitchen? Are they serving a full spread? Are they taking bookings?

Information on what is happening in Pattaya is sadly lacking these days - lets try to get things back to the way they were a couple of years ago, when this forum was mainly written by residents, for residents.

I looked at the Xmas menu in the new Shennanigans yesterday. Looked very nice - full spread. I thought at 1,500 bht it was a bit steep for a pub meal (they want the same price for Thai's as well), they would probably be better off at a more upmarket establishment for only a few hundred baht more. I have heard Casa Pascal does a good Xmas spread.

I only mentioned soi 17 as all the places you mentioned are there (or soi 8 Threppasit - same, same). Tropical Berts has had some good reviews, whatever you decide I would do it quickly.

Have fun in Saudi

Sounds like you need a venue in soi 17? What about the new place next to Tigglebitties - LEC I think its called. Looks quite good from the outside.

I personally don't need a venue - Soi 17 or elsewhere. I'll be eating in a Saudi Aramco canteen, drinking Pepsi.

But several friends have asked me about Christmas parties with the full English treatment - turkey, roast potatoes, Christmas pud and mince pies. So I posted on here.

It is LEC, which is a closed-in establishment with a/c, therefore non-smoking, whereas Tiggiebitties is an open area, thus smoking permitted. (Well, that's a simplified version - pedants will correct me).

What about Tropical Bert's? What about Crazy Dave's? What about Greg's Kitchen? Are they serving a full spread? Are they taking bookings?

Information on what is happening in Pattaya is sadly lacking these days - lets try to get things back to the way they were a couple of years ago, when this forum was mainly written by residents, for residents.

What about Tropical Bert's? What about Greg's Kitchen?

ill find out for ya today cos ill be eating at one of them!

chris

1500 baht at Shenanigans is a total rip off and I dont really care about how expensive a meal is, providing it gives good value - but they feature Roast Turkey 52 weekends a year for the price of 395 baht, so what exactly is different other than a total blatent rip off - blimey I sound like a right whinger here but really, what a total con.

Anyway, no worries for me - I get my maid to cook a perfect Butterball and after 5 years, she is getting really good at it and best of all I get to eat loads of great turkey sandwiches in the evening and the next day with red cabbage, pickled onions and the odd baked potato with sour cream and plenty of mayo - hmmmm

1500 baht at Shenanigans is a total rip off and I dont really care about how expensive a meal is, providing it gives good value - but they feature Roast Turkey 52 weekends a year for the price of 395 baht, so what exactly is different other than a total blatent rip off - blimey I sound like a right whinger here but really, what a total con.

Anyway, no worries for me - I get my maid to cook a perfect Butterball and after 5 years, she is getting really good at it and best of all I get to eat loads of great turkey sandwiches in the evening and the next day with red cabbage, pickled onions and the odd baked potato with sour cream and plenty of mayo - hmmmm

First paragraph - I have eaten in the new Shenanigans once - ordered a Ploughmans Lunch (stated incrusty bread). It came in a long bap-like piece of cotton-wool, no crust as I like it. And pricey.

No more eating in Shenanigans for me.

With regard to home cooked turkey (and cold turkey salad, and turkey sandwiches, and turkey soup, and turkey-cakes - as opposed to fishcakes), first - there is too damned much for a small family and secon, I like toi enjoy Christmas in a group setting.

The one thing I can guarantee in Saudi - I will not be eating turkey in the canteen. Although it is served about every tenth day, it is never served on 25 December for fear of antagonising religious sensibilities. So, beef, lamb, curries and fish, but no gobblers.

• 2 years later...
1500 baht at Shenanigans is a total rip off ...

Jamesons is cheaper at 1499 baht!!!

Shenanigans Christmas Menu (December 25th 2009) 12 Noon-11.00pm is 1,500 baht for as much as you can eat and as an added bonus you receive a voucher giving you admission to the New Year Buffet 50% off 1,200 baht so only 600 baht!

See you there!