Transfer Money To A Thai Bank Account By Internet Banking - Hsbc

Mig15

I am trying to transfer some money by my internet account to my daughter-in-law’s account.

We need the Swift/BIC code which we have for the bank and an IBAN number for the bank account.

However, in Thailand they don’t use the IBAN so is the number I use just the account number or does it have some additional country code in front?

I am trying to transfer some money by my internet account to my daughter-in-law's account.

We need the Swift/BIC code which we have for the bank and an IBAN number for the bank account.

However, in Thailand they don't use the IBAN so is the number I use just the account number or does it have some additional country code in front?

Yes the banks in Thailand are using IBAN numbers now. I have used to TMB pattaya many times. Your branch can give you this info.

I use HSBC here Miggy, my SCB Thai account does not need a SWIFT Number, just the Bank address, name of the account holder and account number.

I cant speak for other Thai Bank accounts though,

Hope this helps, just fax HSBC the details in plain English and all should be OK.

Don forget to state that the money should be transferred in GBP not Thai Baht as the reate you will get will be better

Yep IBAN is mostly used in EU.

I have transferred money into Thailand using just the SWIFT Code and the Account Number (I think it may have asked for Bank name and address)

As the SWIFT code contains the country code you should be good to go.

...However, in Thailand they don’t use the IBAN so is the number I use just the account number or does it have some additional country code in front?

Yes. In the field for Swift/BIC, write the Swift code. In the field for IBAN, write the account number.

--

Maestro

Your original post talks about doing this transfer by internet banking from an HSBC account. I am not sure that this will be possible. I know I cannot do it by internet banking from any of my UK bank accounts - I have to actually phone the bank or go into a branch.

When did Thailand start to use IBAN? Not so long ago I was told by Bangkok Bank that it was not used here. But if so, good news!

I know that with my Internet bank in Europe I can do transfers internationally. If the receiving country uses IBAN/SWIFT, it will be an automatic transfer at a very low fee. If not using IBAN (all banks are using SWIFT), I enter all the data as usual, but it will be handled manually at my home bank, and a much higher fee is charged, same as if I fax/e-mail my bank with instructions.

In fact my bank will now REFUSE manual transfers if the receiving country is in the EU zone or have been using IBAN for a longer period of time.

I haven't actually tried to do internet transfer to Thailand yet, so the above is taken from the information provided by my European internet bank. I shall put it to the test soon, as money needs to be transferred in for my extension of stay.

Your original post talks about doing this transfer by internet banking from an HSBC account. I am not sure that this will be possible. I know I cannot do it by internet banking from any of my UK bank accounts - I have to actually phone the bank or go into a branch.

This is clipped from HSBC website, it is from their Channel Islands site so not sure about UK mainland.

Internet banking FAQ's

# Check entries for your accounts and HSBC Bank credit cards

# Transfer funds between your accounts with us or to any other account worldwide, subject to criteria

# Pay UK bills

Naka.

I use HSBC here Miggy, my SCB Thai account does not need a SWIFT Number, just the Bank address, name of the account holder and account number.

Hope this helps, just fax HSBC the details in plain English and all should be OK.

Don forget to state that the money should be transferred in GBP not Thai Baht as the reate you will get will be better

I used HSBC one time to send quite a large amount to my Thai bank, I gave them two weeks knowing how they can bugger up and sure enough they did eventually they said they could not find it, then a week later it turned up in my account, I was calling my bank here daily as the money was for a land purchase.

They not only did not pay me interest for the missing time period they charged me two transfer fees which was not cleared up until I went back to the UK and faced the manager who could not have been more apologetic probably only as I was one of their best customers at the time

I would confirm ThaiPauly's experience, as I regularly arrange transfers by HSBC internet-banking, from my Sterling-account in the Channel Islands to my SCB account here in Thailand. The SCB head-office address & your SCB account-name/number are all that are required.

Transfers usually arrive within a few working-days - provided that your SCB account is also in your own name, otherwise HSBC may wish to confirm by phone that your transfer-request is genuine, before they send the money, as a security-check.

I would confirm ThaiPauly's experience, as I regularly arrange transfers by HSBC internet-banking, from my Sterling-account in the Channel Islands to my SCB account here in Thailand. The SCB head-office address & your SCB account-name/number are all that are required.

That's good to know, but for banking purposes the Channel Islands of course are not the UK.

It is not clear where the OP's HSBC account is based.

I've been transferring money from HSBC to Thai accounts by Internet Banking for the last 5 years with no problems if it's less than the 600k baht FEC limit.