Confused About "du!"

NaiGreg

Hello all.

I have seen/heard the word "du" (daw-dek & sara-U (short); sorry, no Thai keyboard today) used as both fierce (viscious dog) and as scold (mother scolds child that is "son" [naughty])

Is this correct? There must be a way to differentiate these two meanings. What are the synonyms for "du"?

Hello all.

I have seen/heard the word "du" (daw-dek & sara-U (short); sorry, no Thai keyboard today) used as both fierce (viscious dog) and as scold (mother scolds child that is "son" [naughty])

Is this correct? There must be a way to differentiate these two meanings. What are the synonyms for "du"?

What are the synonyms for "du"?

Hi there NaiGreg, :o

1.If ดุ "doh" is an adjective meaning fierce,then น่ากลัว "nah-gloo-a" can be used as a synonym.

ดุร้าย "doh-raai"=fierce;ดุดัน "doh-dun"=violent;ดุเดือด "doh-deu-at"=savage,wild

2.If ดุ "doh" is a verb meaning glow,burn,smoke,flame etc.,then ลุก "lohk";ติดไฟ "dtit fai";ปะทุ "pa-toh" might be used.

3.If it's the verb to admonish,scold,castigate,then some choices could be ดุว่า "doh-waa";or,ดุด่า "doh-dah".

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Hello all.

1.If ดุ "doh" is an adjective meaning fierce,then น่ากลัว "nah-gloo-a" can be used as a synonym.

ดุร้าย "doh-raai"=fierce;ดุดัน "doh-dun"=violent;ดุเดือด "doh-deu-at"=savage,wild

2.If ดุ "doh" is a verb meaning glow,burn,smoke,flame etc.,then ลุก "lohk";ติดไฟ "dtit fai";ปะทุ "pa-toh" might be used.

3.If it's the verb to admonish,scold,castigate,then some choices could be ดุว่า "doh-waa";or,ดุด่า "doh-dah".

Snowleopard.

OK, was sitting here with the hubby and he had a few corrections, sorry snow leopard! But this is the only way I have ever learned.

On number 2: it is Too (short tone, tor ta-hahn not dor dek) and pa too means "to explode"

On number 3: He only knows of the word doh dah to mean scold --he's never heard of doh waa.

On number 2: it is Too (short tone, tor ta-hahn not dor dek) and pa too means "to explode"

On number 3: He only knows of the word doh dah to mean scold --he's never heard of doh waa.

Just checked, my "experts" back from shoping :o

Du ( not U but sounds like ugh ( sound youd make if youd just stept in dog poo) :D

Naughty,

waa, doh waa, dah, doh dah,, scold tell off, heard both used lots of times, but not usually with the doh in front!

Hello all.

Hi there NaiGreg, :D

Cheers. :wub:

Snowleopard.

OK, was sitting here with the hubby and he had a few corrections, sorry snow leopard! But this is the only way I have ever learned.

sorry snow leopard
Hello SBK,

I don't mind your pointing out errors I make. -_-

I was thinking about คุ "koh" with ค "koh-kwai" but made the mistake of writing ดุ "doh" instead!Sorry. :D

I got confused because ดุ "doh" and the similar คุ "koh" are synonyms and both mean "scold";"reproach";chide and so on.

On number 2: it is Too (short tone, tor ta-hahn not dor dek)

ทุ "toh"!I'm not sure about that! :D Please ask you husband if คุ "koh" isn't the better choice for those meanings? :o

I meant to write that ดุ "doh" and คุ "koh" are synonyms for "scold";and that คุ "koh" can also mean all those other burning and glowing things! :D

The prefix ทุ "toh" means "bad,evil,wicked,wrong,immoral etc.

Synonyms of ทุ "toh" would be เลว "le-o";ชั่ว "cho-a";ยาก "yahk";ลำบาก "lum-baak" etc.

Strangely enough,ทุ "toh" can also mean "amen". :)

Probably because it's an abbreviation of สาธุ "saa-thoh".

Please proofread more of my posts for typos and such so I get a chance to improve myself. :(

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Thank you Snowleopard et. al.,

There must be hundreds of words and phrases that can have multiple meanings/nuances like this. I suggest we explore and discuss each one over the next five decades or so. For that is precisely the time I have alloted for mastering Thai. So, let us not waste time.

Regards,

NaiGreg

BTW, I discovered this multiple meaning [of ดุ] while reading Maanii Reader I. I think the Maanii Readers are worthy of their own thread here. I recommend them highly to anyone [just] learning to read/write Thai. :o All Thai school children know of these ubiquitous readers.

Could it be that this "thu" is Southern Thai dialect? They are kind of famous for cutting off the first syllable of Central Thai words... in which case ปะทุ -> ทุ pa-thu = thu ...?

This is just a far-fetched guess from me though, I may be wrong.

There is another 'du!' as well, an interjection... my girlfriend likes to use it.

This type of "du!" is pronounced with a short, high tone, as if written ดุ๊ (she has never seen it in spelling, but we both agreed that this is how it'd have to represented phonetically)

It really has nothing to with the word ดุ above... but means something like "look!" or "How about that?!?!". Similar t่o ดูนั่นซิ่ duu nan si! (Look at that), but also feigning shock.

Could it be that this "thu" is Southern Thai dialect? They are kind of famous for cutting off the first syllable of Central Thai words... in which case ปะทุ -> ทุ pa-thu = thu ...?

This is just a far-fetched guess from me though, I may be wrong.

I'll ask. But since he knew it was for this forum I am guessing he gave me the Central Thai word.

Not only do they cut off syllables but add on a few extra as well. Ex: 'Pai Nai?' in southern Thai would be "Pai nai-uh?" "Arai" becomes "Reua" or "Rai-uh?" :o

Hello all.

Hi there NaiGreg,

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

sorry snow leopard
Hello SBK,

I don't mind your pointing out errors I make.

I was thinking about คุ "koh" with ค "koh-kwai" but made the mistake of writing ดุ "doh" instead!Sorry.

I got confused because ดุ "doh" and the similar คุ "koh" are synonyms and both mean "scold";"reproach";chide and so on.

ทุ "toh"!I'm not sure about that! Please ask you husband if คุ "koh" isn't the better choice for those meanings?

I meant to write that ดุ "doh" and คุ "koh" are synonyms for "scold";and that คุ "koh" can also mean all those other burning and glowing things!

The prefix ทุ "toh" means "bad,evil,wicked,wrong,immoral etc.

Synonyms of ทุ "toh" would be เลว "le-o";ชั่ว "cho-a";ยาก "yahk";ลำบาก "lum-baak" etc.

Strangely enough,ทุ "toh" can also mean "amen".

Probably because it's an abbreviation of สาธุ "saa-thoh".

Please proofread more of my posts for typos and such so I get a chance to improve myself.

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

sbk Posted on Wed 2004-08-25, 17:00:22

snowleopard Posted on Wed 2004-08-25, 23:36:54

I got confused  because ดุ "doh" and the similar คุ "koh" are synonyms and both mean "scold";"reproach";chide and so on.

snowleopard Posted on Wed 2004-08-25, 23:36:54

ทุ "toh"!I'm not sure about that! :D Please ask you husband if คุ "koh" isn't the better choice for those meanings? :o

I meant to write that ดุ "doh" and คุ "koh" are synonyms for "scold";and that คุ "koh" can also mean all those other burning and glowing things! :D

Hi there SBK,

Have you asked your native hubby yet whether he thinks it's คุ "koh" or ทุ "toh" which is the better choice for burning and glowing things?

I'm all ears!

He hasn't fled the scene now,has he? :D

Snowleopard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Digging this up again as I thought the discussion was interesting and could probably be expanded.

ดื้อ [FL]due = stubborn, unyielding, intent to have one's own way... like a child who won't do what his/her parents say. 'Naughty' can be a good translation when it comes to children although the closest equivalent of 'naughty' I know would be ซน...

ดุ = fierce, blunt, stern, rough (also depending a lot on context)

Thank you Snowleopard et. al.,

BTW, I discovered this multiple meaning [of ดุ] while reading Maanii Reader I. I think the Maanii Readers are worthy of their own thread here. I recommend them highly to anyone [just] learning to read/write Thai. :o All Thai school children know of these ubiquitous readers.

Hello are these the primary school books featuring มานี and her elder brother มานะ with ครูไพลิน and various chums? They are great value for money and you don't need a dictionary if you have some basics, because the words keep cropping up in slightly different ways so you can guess. It's very enjoyable to discover that you understand but cannot really translate with what you already know. eg. in book 1 lesson 10 ครูไพลินเอากระดาษมาติด ไว้บนป้ายขางกระดานดำ ในกระดาษมีตัวหนังสือ... (phew first time on the keyboard for six months) the picture is what makes the lessons so good because we can be sure that ป้าย is not just a bus-stop and who would have thought of translating written words as book-words, that's clumsy I know but it doesn't matter how it is in English if you know what it means does it. I was riding the underground and trying to hear the Thai for 'mind the gap' I swear that by the fifth station when I was listening to for the Thai I thought she had said it in English. I may have it wrong but I thought she said ใช้ความระมัดระวัง ... when on reflection I think it may be การระมัด ... I think that because it is seems more practise than theory but I will know one day. Wouldn't it be great if there were cartoon books using proper Thai with interesting stories. Fun too, it mustn't be like the picture book I saw for Thais to learn English and 'Awful restaurant' was translated as ร้านอะหารน่ากลัว good job it wasn't an awful barber, they would be left wondering why the police are not involved, Sweeny Tod! I have been learning for a long time now but forget as much as I learn especially with long breaks but this time I am hoping to have lessons with a Thai language teacher from a government school. I think if nothing else it will improve my pronunciation. Your idea of discussing these books is a good one I think.

An example of when I've seen ดุ used as a verb: ดุนักเรียนไหม Do you scold your students?

I've also heard อาจารย์ดุ which, looking at the translations, could be either (our teacher is/you are) a harsh teacher or (our) teacher scolds (us/me) in the context I've heard it.

An example of when I've seen ดุ used as a verb: ดุนักเรียนไหม Do you scold your students?

I've also heard อาจารย์ดุ which, looking at the translations, could be either (our teacher is/you are) a harsh teacher or (our) teacher scolds (us/me) in the context I've heard it.

Does it really matter what it means? surely everyone has the gist of it by now, scold, be unkind, strict, what ever it means to you, for instance สัตว์ดุร้าย if its spelt right, refers to Lions in kids books, draw your own conclusions, how about น่าดุ do you think 'loveable'? Why are we so pedantic in a foreign language when we don't care about our own. Eg. Quite; perfect on every way. but mostly it is used to mean 'so,so', not quite the opposite, and nobody is worried because we know what is meant or think that we do and if not, it probabaly doesn't matter, at least nobody thinks 'extreemly bad'. Sorry I've had a few. Ha Ha

Edited by tgeezer

Hello all.

Actually your understanding is right. The word has 2 meanings.

The word ดุ may mean scold as a mother scolding a child.

By itself ดุ (without combining with another word such as ดุเดือด etc.) also means someone who has a mean look, or a mean person. Imagine someone, escpecially someone with authority who likes to scold (his/her children or subordinates or servants). If he does it often enough, his face will have a mean-looking expression.

It appears like this person can easily have a sour mood and ready to scold someone.

You'd usually use it as หน้าดุุ (mean-looking face)ุ เป็นคนดุ ( is a mean/fierce person) ุ

People from the province of Supunburi has a reputation as

เป็นคนดุ or simply ดุ e.g. คนสุพรรณดุ . With that reputation, you don't mess with people from Supun.

In this case their reputation is not about having a mean expression. It is fierce as can easily kill someone or commit violent acts. This has become a stereotype for Supun folks. Kind of like Texan and people in the wild West back then.

หมาดุ is fierce dog or mean dog.

Hello all.

Snowleopard.

Snowleopare:

1. Instead of "doh", it should have been "duh".

2. It is best to just erase 2. above. It is incorrect.

3. Same as 1, regarding "doh" and "duh". Otherwise the meanings are ok.

Cheers.