Driving License

ajarnmark

I got my driving license recently in Bangkok. I found there are some wrong info on net. I got letter of residence from embassy, which was not required. Here is the procedure that I went through.

1. You need a passport and work permit (if any). If you have WP then you dont need any letter from embassy. Otherwise you need letter.

2. No photographs are required.

3. Doctor's certified is required. Without this you cannot make a DL.

4. If you have a valid DL from your country then you dont have to go through testing process. You can get it without testing. My DL from my country was expired just 3 months back and I had to go through testing process.

5. If you have to go through testing process then you have to attend a briefing in Thai or you can choose to watch a video in English.

6. After watching video you have to go through a written test which is in English, Thai, Chinese and Japanese (if the staff is correct)

7. After passing written test you have to go for driving test. You can rent the vehicle there and go for the test.

8. After driving test you have to go back and get your license.

9. Car license would cost you 205 baht for 1 year and they give you a Temporary Car license at first.

I heard that after one year they give you full license, i.e. not temporary.

Anyone has differing information? :o

I got my driving license recently in Bangkok. I found there are some wrong info on net. I got letter of residence from embassy, which was not required. Here is the procedure that I went through.

You do not state which type of visa you are holding. This fact is important.

1. You need a passport and work permit (if any). If you have WP then you dont need any letter from embassy. Otherwise you need letter.

This requirement may be relevant in Bangkok, but in the North East here, a "form" from immigration is required which needs input from the owner of your dwelling. There is no need for an Embassy letter.

Again, this may only be relevant in Bangkok and larger cities. I am assuming that the photographs were taken digitally in the Licence Office. Photographs are required else how could they incorporate one into your licence?

3. Doctor's certified is required. Without this you cannot make a DL.

4. If you have a valid DL from your country then you dont have to go through testing process. You can get it without testing. My DL from my country was expired just 3 months back and I had to go through testing process.

5. If you have to go through testing process then you have to attend a briefing in Thai or you can choose to watch a video in English.

6. After watching video you have to go through a written test which is in English, Thai, Chinese and Japanese (if the staff is correct)

7. After passing written test you have to go for driving test. You can rent the vehicle there and go for the test.

8. After driving test you have to go back and get your license.

9. Car license would cost you 205 baht for 1 year and they give you a Temporary Car license at first.

In the North East, the temporary car licence costs Bht 105.

I heard that after one year they give you full license, i.e. not temporary.

Anyone has differing information? :o

Note: You do not mention a colour blindness test nor a reaction test. Was it required to take such tests?

Edited by jayenram
Note added

Well the OP is right !> Work permit, or Tabien Baan replaces he lettr from embassy by default ! Also if you're on extention & do 90 days reporting, you may save$$ by getting the letter from Thai Immi .

As for 205 baht & NO pic. required Few of you know, that RECENTLY Thais started to issue NEW type of DL>>Card

like ID with english on it also>> i even thought of replacing mine :o it looks rather cool...

Yes there sure is some wrong info.

You need passport and either work permit, embassy letter, or immigration letter... Unsure about tabien baan but presume it would work also.

And how do you have a picture on your license ??

Dont know about where you are but on Phuket you need an international drivers permit and it has to be current to get it converted to a Thai one, they will not accept simple home country licenses and wont accept those bought online international drivers licenses.

Initially you get a 1 year, after that expires you can get a 5 year (if your long stay visa is all still good).. I assume thats what you mean by 'temporary' ??

Dont know about where you are but on Phuket you need an international drivers permit and it has to be current to get it converted to a Thai one, they will not accept simple home country licenses and wont accept those bought online international drivers licenses.

Admittedly, I obtained my initial 1 year 'temporary' licence some time ago, but my still valid UK driving licence (without photograph) was sufficient to satisfy the requirements to obtain a Thai driving licence with only the need to pass a colour blindness test.

OK just to confirm Phuket town insist on IDP not home country (1.5 years ago and AFAIK still) and will accept an immigration slip (possibly as a long way from embassies and immigration is just round the corner).

In fact for the address proof / immigration slip. I walked in to check out requirements to renew to the 5 year, they needed a new slip to prove my address, went to immigration who wanted proof of address (lease agreement, util bills, etc) and to do that I showed them my expired 1 year license, so they gave me the paper, which I then took back to transport office to prove my address for new license. Kafka is alive and well and living on Phuket.

I tried to use an expired rental contract, and they insisted on a current one. Of course, they need photos and my partner insisted they couldn't use year-old photos on the five-year licenses, so we did that again. And as mentioned, most offices not only check for colour blindness but also for reaction time and depth perception. Monocular people have to get a very special test at govt. hospital to prove their one eye sees well enough, peripherally.

I suspect that examiners/officers at the same station have different rules from day to day. My last license took about six trips to various offices and hospitals.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there sure is some wrong info.

You need passport and either work permit, embassy letter, or immigration letter... Unsure about tabien baan but presume it would work also.

And how do you have a picture on your license ??

Initially you get a 1 year, after that expires you can get a 5 year (if your long stay visa is all still good).. I assume thats what you mean by 'temporary' ??

Photo is printed on hard plastic card, so no need for any photo.

Temporary Car is written on the license and it is valid for one year and I think they will give me 3 or 5 years car license later on.

This is 100% valid/authentic license as I have done it by myself from Mochit office.

Hi guys, got my bike riders license at Chiang Mai Hang Dong Road Transportation Dept this Monday.

Arrived at 10:00, missed the 09:00 queue of 60 and had a personal 1:1 demonstration of the colour blind chart ( point & tell), head in the box colour quiz, pull strings to line the white candles & hit the pedal test.

I already have a Thai 5 year car license but as I do not have an international bike license, I was required to do above tests, sit a multi choice 30 question computer test and then with my bike, I had ridden there, take a short ride around the test area.

The documents I required are as per the attachment and as I am on a Non Imm O (Retirement) I needed a letter from the consulate.

I opted for a new style card which meant that I did not require to supply photos as the office there takes your pic digitally but there is an additional 100baht charge for their services. Amazingly enough though, the 'temporary bike license' does not show your address, that unfortunately will mean that the car license will need to be shown as and when! TIT.

A note to new readers. Be sure to check with the office first before getting all your stuff in order. The rules can change quickly. Thai Visa & other sites of info are useful but they do not issue the licenses.

post-7006-1198065864_thumb.jpg

[...] Amazingly enough though, the 'temporary bike license' does not show your address, that unfortunately will mean that the car license will need to be shown as and when! TIT.

Hi Ally, it appears that none of the "new style" licenses show your address. At least, the five year car license does not (got mine yesterday :o .

/ Priceless