English Man Beaten-up By 3 Watch Sellers In Soi Diana Inn

Pattaya_Fox

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- blaming the victim -

that´s how we (professionals ) call this.

Someone is the victim (as far as we know, it´s clear): an old man, sitting at the bar, being pestered by a fake-watch seller. (at some places, there is a seller about every minute !). He looses his control/ or better told them in an impolite way to fu_ck off and get beaten by the young seller very serious with a chair and need treatment in a hospital.

What is the reaction of nearly most of the writers in this forum:

londonthai:"from my own experience - the story doesn't stick.

can't imagine any sellers entering the bar at any time of day and trying to sell their ware - the owner and the bar staff will chase them off fast (unless well known to them and with their permission). Sellers do walk separately, not in packs (maybe with an exception of hill tribe women selling hand made silver). They do not attack passers by - they would be risking loosing their ware. ..."

sorry but its all (!) bull_shit !!

paulsmithson:I have seen many ignorant farangs telling Thai people to fuc_k off when they have been approached by Thai vendors.

Mi Ow Krab is better!

I too think there is more to this story than the this English man is telling.

Be polite and smile and always remember this Is Thailand and the people who do not speak English are not stupid.

taxexile: he shouldn't have wound them up ..

There are 3 possible reasons for reacting like these writers do:

1. They are Thais. Identification with the Thai seller and trying to defend them(self)

2. most people do not want to realize, that the circumstances in the world, are the way, that everyone (inclusive them self) can be a victim of violence at every time.

So if they get the information, someone is the victim (of crime,violence etc.) they try to change the story in a way, that the victim is the real reason for being a victim. - blaming the victim-

This help them to strengthen their believe of the world, that without their fault, they would never be a victim of crime ...

3. They are themselves offenders, and trying to defend another offender means trying to defend themselves.

So be prepared: If you will be the next victim, about 50 % of the people (if you are unlucky 100 %) will blame you !

(the world is not "fair" - every victim does know this !)

That is from a professional kind of view ! ( I am so sorry: English is not my first language !)

It's also a good idea to allow medical personnel to treat you if your injured.

Sounds no different to a normal weekend night in A & E in the UK :o

Very different my friend.

In the uk, the police nick the guy who has just done you over.

hear. the guys walk away and can do it all over again.

hope its not you next time,, or friends of yours.

don't thing you would have the smiley face then.

My friend, I used to work in A & E as on call duty Pysch Liason Nurse, believe me I have seen, witnessed and been involved in it. The <deleted> that staff have to put up with is disgraceful. The NHS' Zero Tolerance to violence policy is an absolute farce. However, I don't think you really understood the context of my post. :D

BTW, it wasn't a smiley face. :D

Cheers.

Edited by mrtoad

It's also a good idea to allow medical personnel to treat you if your injured.

Sounds no different to a normal weekend night in A & E in the UK :o

Very different my friend.

In the uk, the police nick the guy who has just done you over.

hear. the guys walk away and can do it all over again.

hope its not you next time,, or friends of yours.

don't thing you would have the smiley face then.

My friend, I used to work in A & E as on call duty Pysch Liason Nurse, believe me I have seen, witnessed and been involved in it. The <deleted> that staff have to put up with is disgraceful. The NHS' Zero Tolerance to violence policy is an absolute farce. However, I don't think you really understood the context of my post. :D

BTW, it wasn't a smiley face. :D

Cheers.

If they were to legalise ecstacy and pot and ban alcohol the world would be a much better place,. :D !

<deleted>-another ignorant drunken slob get a good hiding---yippeeeeeeeeeee
I have to agree, what are the papers hoping for printing this drivel, all it will do is get the farang a worse ? name,.first it was 3 on to one, then one and a chair, then his brother was there then he was arrogant to hospital staff, sounds like a farce, todays news, todays fish and chip paper / litter tray liner ! :o

OK here is how I handle those pesky vendors, Works for me:

Look at it from thier view...they are carrying this load of goods around all day and using thier best marketing skills. It is an honorable job in Thailand to sell by this method. They put the goods in your face and interrupt your converstion with your friend. What do you do to get rid of them.

DONT LOOK AT THIER GOODS. Thats what they want you to do. As long as your looking at the goods you might change your mind. You might at any second pounce on that stuff like its pure gold. LOOK INTO THIER EYES. SAY MAI OW. Go back to what you were doing and ignore them. Try to be polite, with your tone of voice etc. :o

That is true I have done it for 35 years here but somebody new to this country perhaps does not have the power of officialdom of the Thai language that we pssess

The street vendor is trying to make a living. The vendor may be unlicensed as far as the authorities are concerned, but at least he is not out there mugging tourists for a living.

A smile and the shake of your head is usually enough to let the vendor know that he won't get a sale with you.

If farangs are so upset by these vendors that they have to resort to rudeness or violence to deter them, then I suggest you stay away from the tourist areas. If you can't manage some self control it may be a good idea if you live your life as a hermit and keep well away from all other human contact.

Violence begets violence.

The street vendor is trying to make a living. The vendor may be unlicensed as far as the authorities are concerned, but at least he is not out there mugging tourists for a living.

A smile and the shake of your head is usually enough to let the vendor know that he won't get a sale with you.

If farangs are so upset by these vendors that they have to resort to rudeness or violence to deter them, then I suggest you stay away from the tourist areas. If you can't manage some self control it may be a good idea if you live your life as a hermit and keep well away from all other human contact.

Violence begets violence.

Your right, his just attacking customers who wont buy his goods.

Who knows how many people this so called vendor has attacked?

The victim was the tourist not the Thai vendor.

Edited by plasticpig

I have to agree, what are the papers hoping for printing this drivel, all it will do is get the farang a worse ? name,.first it was 3 on to one, then one and a chair, then his brother was there then he was arrogant to hospital staff, sounds like a farce, todays news, todays fish and chip paper / litter tray liner ! :o

Your getting your self confused, read the thread again and you will realise that there are two different incidents reported, the first (OP) is an Englishman and the second (i believe an archive) is of a Scotish ex-policeman provided to highlight that a similar incident has occured before.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Chloe.

The Pattaya itinerant tat peddlar is an affront to humanity and should be purged.

In the food chain they rest lower than songthaew drivers and are a blight upon the cityscape beyond par.

They should all be rounded up and consigned to the crocodile farms as a dietary supplement. Not fit for anything else save possibly as live target practice at the shooting range.

Hate 'em with a passion, ignorant stupid lumpen morons all !

Your getting your self confused, read the thread again and you will realise that there are two different incidents reported, the first (OP) is an Englishman and the second (i believe an archive) is of a Scotish ex-policeman provided to highlight that a similar incident has occured before.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Chloe.

There are 3 articles in this thread, Chloe... and every one of them is in regards to the same exact person.

*welcome to Pattaya media*

:D

The so called victim here seems to me to have been a foul mouthed drunken arsehol_e.

I hbabe spent over 35 years visiting this country and now love here.

I was never beaten up by a thai but have witnessed many occasions when some farang truly deserved a good hiding for his lack of manners-understanding and foul mouth

The so called victim here seems to me to have been a foul mouthed drunken arsehol_e.

I was never beaten up by a thai but have witnessed many occasions when some farang truly deserved a good hiding for his lack of manners-understanding and foul mouth

How do you know he was a drunken loud mouthed arsehol_e?

And if he was you think he deserves a beating?

If you said the views you have on this thread and someone did not like them would you complain if they guy next to you smacked you in the mouth?

You are the sort of small minded sod who probably also writes about leaving the UK or slagging it due to yob violence - hypocrite.

Best to sober up before posting, saves all that slurring.

Naka.

Even at that "kiss" restaurant at the intersection of soi diana and second road, those

vendors can be insufferable. literally approaching your table every minute. saying

mai-ow krap over and over again during the course of your meal can test your

patience. It always amazes me how we somehow rationalize that it's okay for 3

thai men to beat an elderly farang with a chair because the farang must have

"done something wrong". I'm not sure who the bigger cowards are, the 3 thai men

or the 20-30 other farangs who must have stood around watching the event.

Some entertainment areas have posted signs "no hawking of wares" but then they

usually also have a security guard to run them off. this particular complex on soi

diana is a free-for-all. So, if you go drinking, better bring a friend with you. :D

One good reason why I never eat there...apart from the fact that their food sucks. :o

A good post to bring out the a/hole defenders of all things thai. These hawkers can be a right pain in the butt and dangerous. Not so long ago a photo hawker punched an old scotts women knocking her out when she refused to buy from him. I have seen these dvd and watch hawkers actually waiting in line to hassle drinkers and diners in bars and resatuarents in soi diana. They are often intoxicated and aggresive - especially if they are having a bad day.

Sometimes it isnt easy to get rid of them even with a polite no thanks. Personally i like to drink and dine in places where they cant enter.

Never met any drunken agressive thais then - dont get out much do you. Or let me guess you know most of the hawkers that operate around the 7/11 where you sit outside with your Chang!

me too. 18 years, the farang i have witnessed in trouble with thais all deserved a beating ,.

Even at that "kiss" restaurant at the intersection of soi diana and second road, those

vendors can be insufferable. literally approaching your table every minute. saying

mai-ow krap over and over again during the course of your meal can test your

patience. It always amazes me how we somehow rationalize that it's okay for 3

thai men to beat an elderly farang with a chair because the farang must have

"done something wrong". I'm not sure who the bigger cowards are, the 3 thai men

or the 20-30 other farangs who must have stood around watching the event.

Some entertainment areas have posted signs "no hawking of wares" but then they

usually also have a security guard to run them off. this particular complex on soi

diana is a free-for-all. So, if you go drinking, better bring a friend with you. :D

One good reason why I never eat there...apart from the fact that their food sucks. :o

Good job there isnt a sign up "no hawkers or whores " the place would be empty ! :D

me too. 18 years, the farang i have witnessed in trouble with thais all deserved a beating ,.

Tell me - in your view what actions or words deserve beatings?

Do you hold those same values in your home country or anywhere else in the world?

Do you think three young men beating up an old man as in this case is OK?

If you saw three young guys beating an old guy up on the streets of the UK what would your reaction be - he probably deserved it? - I bet a pound to a penny it would not but people come over all hypocritical as F^&K when Thai's are involved - they lose any ounce of rational thought and values they might have had.

If the old guy had been a woman would that have been OK too - after all its a farang deserving it!

Never met any drunken agressive thais then - dont get out much do you. Or let me guess you know most of the hawkers that operate around the 7/11 where you sit outside with your Chang!

Im not taking sides here but in pattaya it has always been the farang that has started any trouble i have seen,( usualy in a go go or a bar ) the result is always the same a farang in a heap on the floor,.im talking around walking st etc where it is predominatly farang drinking, i have honestly never seen a thai start a fight,finish it yes ,.

Do you hold those same values in your home country or anywhere else in the world?

If you saw three young guys beating an old guy up on the streets of the UK what would your reaction be - he probably deserved it? - I bet a pound to a penny it would not but people come over all hypocritical as F^&K when Thai's are involved - they lose any ounce of rational thought and values they might have had.

If the old guy had been a woman would that have been OK too - after all its a farang deserving it!

For me personally unless its one on one its not a fight its an assault,(if mutual ).violence for me is a last resort, ill walk, always, but if someone goes to hit me ill do whatever it takes to protect myself, but being a live coward is much better than being a dead hero especially in thailand,.i think most comments on here have not been condoning 3 on to 1 violence, just a general observation of some farangs bad behaviour, .yes its no different in the uk, but if thais are involved dont expect a fair fight,.

Im not taking sides here but in pattaya it has always been the farang that has started any trouble i have seen,( usualy in a go go or a bar ) the result is always the same a farang in a heap on the floor,.im talking around walking st etc where it is predominatly farang drinking, i have honestly never seen a thai start a fight,finish it yes ,.

Really ... good thing you told us :o

Naka.

Really ... good thing you told us :D

Naka.

Thankyou ,..you may be aware ,and others, but some still dont get on well with alcohol,.worked in night clubs all my younger life and seen this in abundance, the drunks would usually come back sober and apolagise, then the next time they were drunk ,same gain, pattayas full of em,.i find it funny,.i have never started a fight,.and im English ! :o ,...

What happened to a lone Thai with a chair versus a big drunk Scotsman and his brother?