English Man Beaten-up By 3 Watch Sellers In Soi Diana Inn

Pattaya_Fox

English Man beaten-up by 3 Watch sellers in Soi Diana Inn.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Bunjob from Pattaya Police Station received information from medical staff at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital that they had admitted an English Man who had apparently been attacked at a Beer Bar in Soi Diana Inn, Central Pattaya. The incident occurred at 11.30 on Thursday Night and according to the victim, Mr. Colin McCraig aged 56, three Thai men who were selling wrist watches approached him and attempted to sell him a watch. Mr. McCraig told the men that he did not wish to purchase a watch, however they kept bothering him and after some time, Mr. McCraig told the men that if they did not leave, he would call the Police. The men then set-upon Mr. McCraig and proceeded to attack him with a chair. At the Hospital he was treated for cuts to his head and Police are now doing their best to search for the three watch sellers.

post-15964-1196506220_thumb.jpg

Pattaya City News.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English Man beaten-up by 3 Watch sellers in Soi Diana Inn.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Bunjob from Pattaya Police Station received information from medical staff at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital that they had admitted an English Man who had apparently been attacked at a Beer Bar in Soi Diana Inn, Central Pattaya. The incident occurred at 11.30 on Thursday Night and according to the victim, Mr. Colin McCraig aged 56, three Thai men who were selling wrist watches approached him and attempted to sell him a watch. Mr. McCraig told the men that he did not wish to purchase a watch, however they kept bothering him and after some time, Mr. McCraig told the men that if they did not leave, he would call the Police. The men then set-upon Mr. McCraig and proceeded to attack him with a chair. At the Hospital he was treated for cuts to his head and Police are now doing their best to search for the three watch sellers.

post-15964-1196506220_thumb.jpg

Pattaya City News.

Suppose they will find them in TIME !.. Dont be rude, just a maew caap copcoon cap does it for me,.Im not taking any sides here and there is no excuse for 3 men to attack one, .but i have heard farang tell these guys to fack off and all sorts, not recommended,.

from my own experience - the story doesn't stick.

can't imagine any sellers entering the bar at any time of day and trying to sell their ware - the owner and the bar staff will chase them off fast (unless well known to them and with their permission). Sellers do walk separately, not in packs (maybe with an exception of hill tribe women selling hand made silver). They do not attack passers by - they would be risking loosing their ware.

the insident, although not serious, was seen by many bystanders - so catching the attackers should be easy (they walk their patch on a daily basis, usually at this same time).

I have seen many ignorant farangs telling Thai people to fuc_k off when they have been approached by thai vendors.

Mi Ow Krab is better!

I too think there is more to this story than the this English man is telling.

Be polite and smile and always remember this Is Thailand and the people who do not speak english are not stupid.

I have seen many ignorant farangs telling Thai people to fuc_k off when they have been approached by thai vendors.

Mi Ow Krab is better!

I too think there is more to this story than the this English man is telling.

Be polite and smile and always remember this Is Thailand and the people who do not speak english are not stupid.

And just tell me how many times you say that, and the guys is still pulling on your shirt or tapping on you. come on tell me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone gets hurt and people start taking the piss. not very nice it may happen to you sometime :o:D:D

so why you laughing? Does anybody know anyone personally that was bashed in bar by a Thai even if they told them to <deleted> off?

from my own experience - the story doesn't stick.

can't imagine any sellers entering the bar at any time of day and trying to sell their ware - the owner and the bar staff will chase them off fast (unless well known to them and with their permission). Sellers do walk separately, not in packs (maybe with an exception of hill tribe women selling hand made silver). They do not attack passers by - they would be risking loosing their ware.

the insident, although not serious, was seen by many bystanders - so catching the attackers should be easy (they walk their patch on a daily basis, usually at this same time).

" the owner and the bar staff will chase them off fast" Never seen That!

"Sellers do walk separately, not in packs" always at least 2!

"they walk their patch on a daily basis, usually at this same time" Always on a bikes looking for customers in bars!

"so catching the attackers should be easy" all bars by law should now have cctv!

Even at that "kiss" restaurant at the intersection of soi diana and second road, those

vendors can be insufferable. literally approaching your table every minute. saying

mai-ow krap over and over again during the course of your meal can test your

patience. It always amazes me how we somehow rationalize that it's okay for 3

thai men to beat an elderly farang with a chair because the farang must have

"done something wrong". I'm not sure who the bigger cowards are, the 3 thai men

or the 20-30 other farangs who must have stood around watching the event.

Some entertainment areas have posted signs "no hawking of wares" but then they

usually also have a security guard to run them off. this particular complex on soi

diana is a free-for-all. So, if you go drinking, better bring a friend with you. :o

OK here is how I handle those pesky vendors, Works for me:

Look at it from thier view...they are carrying this load of goods around all day and using thier best marketing skills. It is an honorable job in Thailand to sell by this method. They put the goods in your face and interrupt your converstion with your friend. What do you do to get rid of them.

DONT LOOK AT THIER GOODS. Thats what they want you to do. As long as your looking at the goods you might change your mind. You might at any second pounce on that stuff like its pure gold. LOOK INTO THIER EYES. SAY MAI OW. Go back to what you were doing and ignore them. Try to be polite, with your tone of voice etc. :o

Excerpts from:

Watch sellers attack Scottish ex-cop

Officials immediately brought Mr. McCuaig, the injured man, to Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. However, the victim was a bit intoxicated and somewhat boisterous; and refused hospital treatment. He entered and left the hospital several times while the doctor tried to persuade him to agree to treatment.

Finally, Mr. McCaig, who was still quite agitated, left the hospital, although he was still bleeding all over his face.

Mr. Ian McCuaig, the injured man’s younger brother, told police that he and his brother, who was a former Scottish police officer, were drinking beer at the bar. A group of four men attempted to sell them fake watches. Although his brother was not interested in purchasing what they were selling, the men were extremely persistent.

The senior Mr. McCuaig finally registered his displeasure at their harassment in no uncertain terms.

This made the men angry and they attacked Mr. McCuaig.

- Pattaya Daily News

can't imagine any sellers entering the bar at any time of day and trying to sell their ware - the owner and the bar staff will chase them off fast (unless well known to them and with their permission).

You don't get out much then. They wander in and out of open bars and restaurants all the time. Many a farang bar owner has learned the hard way that you can't realistically ban these people. The only establishments that are required by law to have cctv are those enclosed or otherwise with a door. Open air beer bars, including shop house style with no doors, shutters or partitions do not need cctv as the lawmakers have decided that anything nefarious won't be conducted out in the open. Take that logic as you please.

Sellers do walk separately, not in packs (maybe with an exception of hill tribe women selling hand made silver).

As another post has commented, they very frequently ride in pairs on a motorcycle, looking for a bar with potential customers for their tat.

They do not attack passers by - they would be risking loosing their ware.

I would agree with you up to a point; but once they have been insulted (or assume they have) they have been known to save face in this pack-dog style attack. If they lose any of their crap during the fracas, the victim will be accused of breaking or stealing it.

Not serious? Serious enough to require ER treatment. The OP does not say that it was observed or witnessed at all. Also note that a vendor lucking out on (for example) soi postoffice will just take his happy arse up to soi 7 or 8 and pitch his shpeil there. They are not organised, given a designated patch or in any way regulated on where they work.

In addiition to LLL's advice to not look at their wares, I also recommend NOT looking them in the eye. Turn your head slightly in their direction and keep on doing what you are doing while saying loudly and firmly 'mai-ow kraap' (or whatever phonetics suit you). They may may persist and and that point a slightly louder 'mai-ow' (no kraap this time) usually suffices. If your eatery or bottle shop proves too much of a hassle, you can always take your custom somewhere less 'infested'.

Excerpts from:

Officials immediately brought Mr. McCuaig, the injured man, to Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. However, the victim was a bit intoxicated and somewhat boisterous; and refused hospital treatment. He entered and left the hospital several times while the doctor tried to persuade him to agree to treatment.

Finally, Mr. McCaig, who was still quite agitated, left the hospital, although he was still bleeding all over his face.

Mr. Ian McCuaig, the injured man’s younger brother, told police that he and his brother, who was a former Scottish police officer, were drinking beer at the bar. A group of four men attempted to sell them fake watches. Although his brother was not interested in purchasing what they were selling, the men were extremely persistent.

The senior Mr. McCuaig finally registered his displeasure at their harassment in no uncertain terms.

- Pattaya Daily News

There you go then. There is no defense for attacking someone, be they visitor or local.

Similarly, there's no defense in being a drunk stranger in a foreign land.

Although I see now he didn't have any problem accepting treatment from this member of the "medical personnel"... :o

in yet another take on the occurrence.....

301107_6.jpg

Englishman Ko’d by Street Vendor

Mr. Colin from England got more than he bargained for whilst he was drinking at a beer bar, quietly minding his own business in the evening of 29th November.

Admittedly, he had one too many, but when a street vendor came into the bar and tried to sell him a watch and after saying no umpteen times, the vendor continued to pester the Brit to buy a watch.

Short tempered 56 year old Colin started shouting and pushed the man away. Bad move! The vendor got angry and picked up a nearby steel chair and began beating the helpless Englishman to the ground. After venting his anger, the Thai fled the scene, leaving Colin in a pool of blood suffering head and body injuries.

Sawang Boriboon was informed and after giving him first aid they sent him to the Memorial Hospital for a check up and further treatment.

- Pattaya People

Although I see now he didn't have any problem accepting treatment from this member of the "medical personnel"... :o

301107_6.jpg

Englishman Ko’d by Street Vendor

Mr. Colin from England got more than he bargained for whilst he was drinking at a beer bar, quietly minding his own business in the evening of 29th November.

Admittedly, he had one too many, but when a street vendor came into the bar and tried to sell him a watch and after saying no umpteen times, the vendor continued to pester the Brit to buy a watch.

Short tempered 56 year old Colin started shouting and pushed the man away. Bad move! The vendor got angry and picked up a nearby steel chair and began beating the helpless Englishman to the ground. After venting his anger, the Thai fled the scene, leaving Colin in a pool of blood suffering head and body injuries.

Sawang Boriboon was informed and after giving him first aid they sent him to the Memorial Hospital for a check up and further treatment.

- Pattaya People

Sounds more like what really happened.

Excerpts from:

Mr. Ian McCuaig, the injured man's younger brother, told police that he and his brother, who was a former Scottish police officer, were drinking beer at the bar. A group of four men attempted to sell them fake watches. Although his brother was not interested in purchasing what they were selling, the men were extremely persistent.

- Pattaya Daily News

He probably told them he was an ex cop, thatll do it,id have joined in ! ( joking ) :o ,,he probably gave it some, see you jimmy, ill have you in court before yee can say micky mouse watch your honor !

301107_6.jpg

Englishman Ko'd by Street Vendor

- Pattaya People

Sounds more like what really happened.

Yes here we go then, so, it was one ( and a chair ) on one, and the ex bobbys brother was there,.thai and chair =2 +2 drunk jocks, ,seems fair ,.

It's also a good idea to allow medical personnel to treat you if your injured.

Sounds no different to a normal weekend night in A & E in the UK :o

Very different my friend.

In the uk, the police nick the guy who has just done you over.

hear. the guys walk away and can do it all over again.

hope its not you next time,, or friends of yours.

don't thing you would have the smiley face then.

It's nice to think the violent attacks only happen to the drunken, boisterous

farangs who "deserve it" but that simply isn't true. More and more often it

happens to completely undeserving people who are perhaps less physically

imposing and present little threat of being able to defend themselves. They

don't want to mess with anyone who might be capable of fighting back, only

those incapacitated by drink, elderly, female or when there is some other

overwhelming advantage(3-5-10 people). Saving face my as_. :o