Farang Overcharged And What To Do

stateman

What do you think about farangs getting charged more than locals?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TV has documented several situations where farangs were charged more than locals in admission fees, etc.

I understand that the new Constitution 2550 guarantees equal treatment to all. I haven't seen anywhere that foreigners are exempted from the rights.

In the US, similar actions would draw various lawsuits to rectify the situations.

Now that Thailand's Constitution is creeping toward international level, such rights to farangs should be practised, especially by government entities.

Maybe someone files a test case in court?

Comments?

In the US, people sue Mcdonalds for making hot coffee too hot.

In the US, people sue laundries for billions of dollars for a pair of trousers.

I hope by the time the somtam lady gets sued by people for making somtam too hot in thailand, I am dead already.

I hope by the time the somtam lady gets sued by people for making somtam too hot in thailand, I am dead already.

Right on the mark....and with the luck, I'll be taking my "dirt nap" as well! :o

TV has documented several situations where farangs were charged more than locals in admission fees, etc.

I understand that the new Constitution 2550 guarantees equal treatment to all. I haven't seen anywhere that foreigners are exempted from the rights.

In the US, similar actions would draw various lawsuits to rectify the situations.

Now that Thailand's Constitution is creeping toward international level, such rights to farangs should be practised, especially by government entities.

Maybe someone files a test case in court?

Comments?

well everyone seems to disagree with you, so im trying to find a way i can agree with you, but i cant, Not u.s. :o

Maybe someone files a test case in court? Why don't you?

Comments?

Please put your brain into gear before engaging your mouth!

I think the legal system here is quite different from the US and I don't know if it would have the expected outcome.

In spite of the usual "this isn't the US" crap, it would be good to hear some legal people explain how these type of lawsuits work here and why they usually aren't very successful.

Nice one My Som Tam lady makes mine just right

As many have said, don't expect Thai legal system to be like USA, where people sue each other for all sorts of frivolous matters. I have been overcharged a few time in LOS for small items & make sure I don't return to the place again. If it involves large ticket items where the price may be variable, such as construction, home improvement issues or repairs, I have my Thai lady do the talking and I stay out of sight.

Comments?

Thailand isn't the US?

You are right, Thailand isn't the US. In the past, filing lawsuits like this in Thailand was indeed seldom done.

However, during the last couple of years there have been a big flurry of suits filed. Many by Mr. Big T. himself on many of his political oppositions. Many others followed suit. Now it is common to read about big ฿ lawsuits for defamation, violating one's rights, etc. Many of them are still coursing their way through the court system. On the suing curve, I think Thailand is in its initial phase. But with the new Constitution and a new awakening, I think these lawsuits will be more common.

Someone implied that safety may become a concern, if one files one. From what I read, I don't find many people who file lawsuits in Thailand get murdered. I probably can think of only a few. I feel if one has a personal dispute involving a mafia type, safetly can indeed be a big issue. But in this subject, where if one files a test case seeking to be treated equally under the new Constitution, I don't see Big Brother sending an assassin to 'take out' the guy. :o

Someone has suggested that I file one. Well, I sometimes have given that some thoughts! But up to now, there is not one that riles me to that point yet. That is not to say it won't happen in the future.

Issue like this one can be looked at in two ways. One is a matter of principle and fair treatment, for which one may want to rectify any inequality.

Another view is most of the farangs living in Thailand have more income/wealth than an average local. While the cost of living in LOS is already low, paying more is justifiable/acceptable.

Reading some past topics related to this kind of issue I saw a pretty good split among TV readers, ranging from very upset to grudgingly accept to totally OK with it. Maybe we can set a poll here to gage how TV members feel?

For completeness, I have one choice for "Strongly opposed and want changes made", although I don't expect many to choose it.

Second and 3rd choices distinquishing farangs who are longterm residence vs. tourist because some TV members in past topics felt different treatments are warranted.

Last 3 choices are self-explanatory.

Have fun!

I have mixed feelings on this one.

I think Thailand is an insular/xenophobic country.

I think Thailand sees us as ATMs tolerated as long as the cash is flowing, and doesn't extend and does not plan to extend the same rights to farangs as Thais.

This is a double edged sword. If Thailand wasn't different, it wouldn't be Thailand, and many of the differences attract us, so on balance probably better to accept the unpleasant parts such as sometimes being overcharged. I for one do not want Thailand to become exactly like the US or Europe.

(I would, however, like to see Pattaya become more like Bangkok, in the area of taxi meters.)

Also, nobody is making us go to national parks, I hate camping and snakes.

Edited by Jingthing

<br />good question.<br /><br /><br />some hotels actually charge thais more than foreigners , it would be interesting to see a thai question the legality of this in the courts.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

And when in some shops with my Thai wife they will give me a discount but not her if she goes in alone (for another pair of shoes)

Someone has suggested that I file one. Well, I sometimes have given that some thoughts! But

From what I understand Thai lawyers work on a fee only basis (not working on a percentage of projected award from suit) and I doubt you'd get any who'd be willing to pony up on a pro-bono basis for what is basically a well-to-do foreigner complaining about double pricing standards.

Not saying I agree with the policy just think you'd find it a very expensive principle to defend if you did choose to file.

Did anyone back home ever complain about pensioner's discounts - stores & travel? Female nurses getting into certain night clubs free? Armed Forces discount? If not, why not?

Oversea's students paying higher course fee's etc etc.

I have mixed feelings but do not lose any sleep over it.

Having to pay extra to a national park as a foreigner - well those Thai's that pay tax already pay towards them and those not earning enough are poor (I know I know)

Private attractions re a little different but I am sure special deals for locals are available elsewhere in the world.

I thought legal qualified foreigners got cheaper rates or thaie rates - the higher prices for visitors only?

I voted don't care either way. Not entirely true as I would like Thailand to become a mature society where value for money and non discrimination are core qualities in the people. But it aint going to happen in my lifetime so I'll just stick with weighing up what's on offer against the price and taking it or leaving it as I feel fit.

Put it this way, I'd rather run the risk of a few rip offs than have Thailand go the way of the US or UK where everyone is looking for a law suit rather than trying to get a life. :o

Anyway we can't get rid of dual pricing, think of all the rivetting threads that would disappear and one less thing for us farangs to whinge about. :D

I voted don't care either way. Not entirely true as I would like Thailand to become a mature society where value for money and non discrimination are core qualities in the people. But it aint going to happen in my lifetime so I'll just stick with weighing up what's on offer against the price and taking it or leaving it as I feel fit.

Put it this way, I'd rather run the risk of a few rip offs than have Thailand go the way of the US or UK where everyone is looking for a law suit rather than trying to get a life. :o

Anyway we can't get rid of dual pricing, think of all the rivetting threads that would disappear and one less thing for us farangs to whinge about. :D

Excellent post, Phil. Same here; I don't much care, etc.

It ain't much of an injustice to pay double or tenfold. Getting dispossessed of your home, gassed in ovens, victims of genocide, centuries of enslavement of millions of people: those are examples of injustice. The invasion of Iraq was unjust. Probably the coup of 2006 was unjust. But, higher prices, when most of us can afford it? Peanuts, nada, soon.