Building Contractors In Samui

I have heard alot of bad reports of contractors on Samui. Have had some pool work done but in the end went to a company in Bangkok. Always seems to be hugely overpriced and a dont care attitude from the contactors bosses. Now, (to some extent) but not solely due to, after reading BBC's post, I would like to build a nice high wall around 1 rai of land and have not many ideas where to get some quotes from trustworthy builders,( with acceptable standard of work). Have looked around the Island and seem walls slapped together with breeze blocks and not pointed and then just plastered over, but often these will crack and discolour, very soon in this sort of climate. Heard "Surat Inter" could be an option but any ideas welcome. Does anyone source from up north due to prices or just how is it generally done??. Want something solid and one side must have drainage. Interested to hear experiences ??

I have heard alot of bad reports of contractors on Samui. Have had some pool work done but in the end went to a company in Bangkok. Always seems to be hugely overpriced and a dont care attitude from the contactors bosses. Now, (to some extent) but not solely due to, after reading BBC's post, I would like to build a nice high wall around 1 rai of land and have not many ideas where to get some quotes from trustworthy builders,( with acceptable standard of work). Have looked around the Island and seem walls slapped together with breeze blocks and not pointed and then just plastered over, but often these will crack and discolour, very soon in this sort of climate. Heard "Surat Inter" could be an option but any ideas welcome. Does anyone source from up north due to prices or just how is it generally done??. Want something solid and one side must have drainage. Interested to hear experiences ??

walls with proper footings and iron are something that you can get here at a reasonable price when getting quotes rememeber a brick is 8 baht max. and min. wage for labor per day is 180 to 200 baht per head hence do the math allow for profit and you can get a price you like. sorry no names to refer as most of my handy men now have companies and do not do small work :o

walls with proper footings and iron are something that you can get here at a reasonable price when getting quotes rememeber a brick is 8 baht max. and min. wage for labor per day is 180 to 200 baht per head hence do the math allow for profit and you can get a price you like. sorry no names to refer as most of my handy men now have companies and do not do small work :o

Thanks,I was thinking its not such a small job to build a wall about 2 meters high and say two bricks thick around 1 Rai completely which is quite a long wall. Also with drainage channel on one side, but maybe I really have no idea how much work there is on Samui and how busy such company's are.

Just had 2 meter reinorced wall built on 1,100 sqm. cost for materials & labour just over 100,000 baht. took 4 guys about 5 weeks. I bought all materials myself so no mark up on this price, just need painting so maybe another 12,000 baht...hope thats a guidline

Besides finding the right "hands" to do the job - if you succeed - do NOT forget to bring EVERY DETAIL and an agreed deadline plus the terms of payment - (conditions as of % of job done, time lines etc.) - onto Paper AND have it signed with witnesses!

if not you may very soon regret - you didn't!

Just had 2 meter reinorced wall built on 1,100 sqm. cost for materials & labour just over 100,000 baht. took 4 guys about 5 weeks. I bought all materials myself so no mark up on this price, just need painting so maybe another 12,000 baht...hope thats a guidline

Hi

Thanks that certainly helps a bit, Materials can be bought for good deal on the island, pls point me in right direction. Thks

Oh, yes... the wall. We are building in Samui and the wall costs surprised me... so much so that i'm thinking of naming the new home 'Pink Floyd' :o

Haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but so far its about 75m long and painted on the inner. We called a temporary halt to the wall proceedings to concentrate funds on the electric supply, water and a roof. The roof will no doubt prove invaluable when it rains. I'm off out there next week for phase 2 of the wall.

We are paying 2,200 bht per metre as a basic rate. With some discounts. It's a local firm my wife knows thru family.

Oh, yes... the wall. We are building in Samui and the wall costs surprised me... so much so that i'm thinking of naming the new home 'Pink Floyd' :o

Haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but so far its about 75m long and painted on the inner. We called a temporary halt to the wall proceedings to concentrate funds on the electric supply, water and a roof. The roof will no doubt prove invaluable when it rains. I'm off out there next week for phase 2 of the wall.

We are paying 2,200 bht per metre as a basic rate. With some discounts. It's a local firm my wife knows thru family.

Maybe a stupid question , do you refer to 2200 baht linear meter or square meter. How high is your wall ?

Maybe a stupid question , do you refer to 2200 baht linear meter or square meter. How high is your wall ?

Linear. As i say, i havent actually seen it.... my wife has gone over to sort things. However, as she explains it... its 9 bricks/blocks high which i think is a standard 2 metre height. We have some sections to the wall which are lower and costed less. As i recall, the price started at around the 2400 - 2600 mark, which we (she) negociated down. It looks in line with the price Lite Beer mentions as a rate from 2 years ago... given things generally are more expensive now. And that price excludes painting.

Linear. As i say, i havent actually seen it.... my wife has gone over to sort things. However, as she explains it... its 9 bricks/blocks high which i think is a standard 2 metre height. We have some sections to the wall which are lower and costed less. As i recall, the price started at around the 2400 - 2600 mark, which we (she) negociated down. It looks in line with the price Lite Beer mentions as a rate from 2 years ago... given things generally are more expensive now. And that price excludes painting.

Ok, Thanks

i have been through about 5 contractors on the island. the truth is that u pay peanuts you get monekys.

there is one bloke who was almost up to scratch Mr Somchai from the hard ware shop in the lake road near the gass station.

not the cheapest but he gets the job done and comes back after if any problems.

beleive me i have been through it with other cow boy builders it is worth spending the extra doh for someone realiable or it will cost

u more in the long run.

thats my worth anyway :o

Ah yes, the perimeter wall. 2 meter high also.

I would call it the perimeter of your own local prison.

It is the biggest eyesore in Thailand.

It never amazes me that people build nice homes and then lock themselves up inside.

Nature has some good alternatives for concrete walls.

Even a few 'spikey' ones that protect against intruders very well.

Sure it takes some time to grow, but it is so much nicer.

A good alarm system works better than a wall, it is very easy to climb over one.

Edited by Khun Jean

i have been through about 5 contractors on the island. the truth is that u pay peanuts you get monekys.

there is one bloke who was almost up to scratch Mr Somchai from the hard ware shop in the lake road near the gass station.

not the cheapest but he gets the job done and comes back after if any problems.

beleive me i have been through it with other cow boy builders it is worth spending the extra doh for someone realiable or it will cost

u more in the long run.

thats my worth anyway :o

Thanks Big C, noted.

Ah yes, the perimeter wall. 2 meter high also.

I would call it the perimeter of your own local prison.

It is the biggest eyesore in Thailand.

It never amazes me that people build nice homes and then lock themselves up inside.

Nature has some good alternatives for concrete walls.

Even a few 'spikey' ones that protect against intruders very well.

Sure it takes some time to grow, but it is so much nicer.

A good alarm system works better than a wall, it is very easy to climb over one.

I believe there are far worse eye sores than "a wall" in Thailand. Not every one (person) is the same and each to his own if he so chooses.Live and let live

The old atage "you get what you pay for" is especially true in Asia.

A good contractor has a lot of overheadTAXES , Taxes, Social Insurance, Vehicle Maintenance and fuel, Taxes, VAT, Rent, Electricity, water, Bookkeeping services, employee benefits. The list is infinate and changes every month. Our overhead is almost 35% of our monthly fixed expenses. We carry liability insurance, mecical insurance on all employees pay sicial insurance.

We have an office, a shop, a Company vehicle (fully insured liability insurance) over 2 million baht in tools and specialty testing equipment.

If you are looking for cheap it is avaliable but don't bitch about the quality of the work, or service.

samuislander

we all have our cross to bear on running a business.

I had no intention of "Bitching" but merely seeking some advise and potential leads on where to get quotes from those with varying experiences.I intend to look at cheap / expensive and weigh up all the odds sensibly. If you are in construction business, which I assume, then maybe you could point me in right direction, or again am i too assume this is not your line of work and you do not quote on such jobs.