Staying With No Visa

I have been staying in thailand with my family without a visa. I leave the country every other month and return. I have been doing this for 10 years. Is this still ok to do? I have been told i qualify for non immigrant visa since i have family and my work is in the U.S. But not able to immediatley deposit 400,000 baht in an account. (I will in a few months). I'm just wondering if i might have trouble entering country next week when i have to leave Thailand.

Again i've never had problems in the past, but have read in places, this activity not permitted any more. Is this true?

You should be able to obtain at least a single entry non immigrant visa at a Consulate outside Thailand that would allow 90 days stay without a bank deposit - just copy of your marriage certificate and of wife id card. Then after 70-80 days, when you have the bank deposit made, you could extend this stay on a yearly basis.

There is no firm policy to exclude any non visa entry at this time so if you are not yet ready to get a visa a border crossing should not be a problem.

On a U.S., Passport you are allowed 30 days without a visa

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa.htm#country

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/visa.htm

If you are staying 60 days without one and without permission for the additional 30 days, it seems that you have had a long run of luck which could end at any time.

I have not gone through this personally, but perhaps some other forum members have and can give you more details, but from the information below, it looks fairly straightforward.

Procedures for passengers who did not receive an entry stamp :.

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/noentrystamp.htm

.: Procedures for passengers who did not receive an entry stamp :.

An alien who enters the Kingdom at recognized check-points but who did not receive a visa stamp, can apply for a visa as follows:

1. If the point of entry was Bangkok International Airport: Please report to the officer on duty at Room 519, 5th Floor, Old Building, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn District, Bangkok. Tel. 287-3101-10 Ext. 2191

2. If the entry point was a provincial checkpoint: Please report to the officer at Section 1 (Administration & Personnel), 9" Floor, New Building, Tel. 287-1913 or 287-3101-10 Ext. 2161-2.

Bring copy of your original flight ticket , boarding card slip or other travel document to show the date/flight of your entry. The officer on duty will make the necessary entries/corrections in your passport.

On a U.S., Passport you are allowed 30 days without a visa

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa.htm#country

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/visa.htm

If you are staying 60 days without one and without permission for the additional 30 days, it seems that you have had a long run of luck which could end at any time. 

I have not gone through this personally, but perhaps some other forum members have and can give you more details, but from the information below, it looks fairly straightforward. 

Procedures for passengers who did not receive an entry stamp :.

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/noentrystamp.htm

.: Procedures for passengers who did not receive an entry stamp :.

An alien who enters the Kingdom at recognized check-points but who did not receive a visa stamp, can apply for a visa as follows:

1. If the point of entry was Bangkok International Airport: Please report to the officer on duty at Room 519, 5th Floor, Old Building, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn District, Bangkok. Tel. 287-3101-10 Ext. 2191

2. If the entry point was a provincial checkpoint: Please report to the officer at Section 1 (Administration & Personnel), 9" Floor, New Building, Tel. 287-1913 or 287-3101-10 Ext. 2161-2.

Bring copy of your original flight ticket , boarding card slip or other travel document to show the date/flight of your entry. The officer on duty will make the necessary entries/corrections in your passport.

i think gordonh is referring to 30 day entries from border runs, not immigration forgeting to stamp his entry. as lopburi3 posted, a border run still isn't a problem at this time...but i would recommend getting the non immigrant since you qualify

thanks for quick responses. Yes, I have been just going to border and getting exit & entry stamps. Regarding non immigrant visa. I was told in bangkok

immigration about bank deposit requirement of 400,000 baht. Just wondering how likely i would get the non immigrant visa at a thai consulate without the deposit (but with my marriage certificate, wife's id, other documentation). I must decide whether to fly to city (Penang,etc) with a thai consulate or just go the border . (Time is an issue as well; i'm a programmer & need to know whether i must travel with my computer. I was planning to just fly to the border and back, but would spend the extra days if thought they would give the visa).

thanks for quick responses. Yes, I have been just going to border and getting exit & entry stamps. Regarding non immigrant visa. I was told in bangkok

immigration about bank deposit requirement of 400,000 baht. Just wondering how likely i would get the non immigrant visa at a thai consulate without the deposit (but with my marriage certificate, wife's id, other documentation). I must decide whether to fly to city (Penang,etc) with a thai consulate or just go the border . (Time is an issue as well; i'm a programmer & need to know whether i must travel with my computer. I was planning to just fly to the border and back, but would spend the extra days if thought they would give the visa).

I believe Penang would issue you a single entry non immigrant visa on that paperwork. If they question all the 30 day entries you can honestly say you want the visa so that you can extend it on a yearly basis.

Remember that Consulate closes for applications at noon and passports are normally available the next business day at 1400.

I have been staying in thailand with my family without a visa. I leave the country every other month and return. I have been doing this for 10 years. Is this still ok to do? I have been told i qualify for non immigrant visa since i have family and my work is in the U.S. But not able to immediatley deposit 400,000 baht in an account. (I will in a few months). I'm just wondering if i might have trouble entering country next week when i have to leave Thailand.

Again i've never had problems in the past, but have read in places, this activity not permitted any more. Is this true?

if you been doing this for 10 LONG YEARS ... i dont see any problems for doing it now, my guess is that you can still do it for another 10 more years. but why in heavens earth that you didnt just get a visa it will be easier for you, imagine 10 years with no visa ?! :o

My understanding is that the 400,000 baht bank deposit is required only for a one year extension of a non-imm visa and is not necessary for just the visa.

Min two days for a visa application, I believe. Bureaucracies grind slowly through their paperwork.

I would recommend you go for it, better that than the insecurity of not knowing if you will one day be turned away.

Look at it another way.

How much do those monthly visa runs cost you per year?

I am assuming that they are special trips. not in the course of your work?

If you are married to a Thai you are entitled to a one year visa, subject to showing the fund to support your family. Children from the marriage strengthen your position.

You do not need the 400K immediately. Only after 3 months when you go to extend your Non Imm 'O' visa that you will be getting in Penang.

Wouldn't that be a cheaper and simpler answer?