Some Advice From Samui Residents Please

Hello all, some of you may already know if you have read 'A big thumbs up to Thai Visa', in the general topics section, (in fact, I recognise some of the names here from the thread in question) that I have recenlty found employment on Samui at the Emerald Irish bar and restuarant in Bophut (quick plug).

Don't worry, I am not touting for customers, yet. I leave the UK in 7 days and I want to find a good gym to check out when I get there.

I have done a Google search and looked at some maps of the island and have not found any good information. I have seen that there are a few 'health clubs' but I don't know whether these would be what I am looking for. I need a gym with free weights, as well as machines. Olympic barbells would be great but a smith machine will do. I would also like dumbells that go up to a good weight range, if they stop at 25kgs then they are falling short. A would also like a good supply of weight plates; enough so that if I someone is doing deadlift that eveybody else is not waiting for the plates. It doesn't have to be a fancy gym, just have the right gear and not be to scummy. Air con is very important in that climate as I have enough trouble not passing out at the moment, when I train.

I am actually a qualified personal fitness trainer, so if anybody needs any advice on training, diet etc. then pop in and see me. I am bringing my laptop with me and I have all types of workout plans for different goals and levels, or i could just put one together. It is not really that complicated to do, there are a core group of exercises, really, and then there are the variations of those exercises, which makes it a bit more complicated if you are a novice to resistance training. Anyway, I sound like I am touting again....not me; I will be too busy flogging my booze to keep people fit too.

Well, if anybody has any information that can help me narrow down my search when I arrive, then please let me know.

By the way, don't forget to come in and see me at the Emerald Irish bar and restuarant, I am there from the 14 th December - one show daily, two on Sunday's.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all, some of you may already know if you have read 'A big thumbs up to Thai Visa', in the general topics section, (in fact, I recognise some of the names here from the thread in question) that I have recenlty found employment on Samui at the Emerald Irish bar and restuarant in Bophut (quick plug).

Don't worry, I am not touting for customers, yet. I leave the UK in 7 days and I want to find a good gym to check out when I get there.

I have done a Google search and looked at some maps of the island and have not found any good information. I have seen that there are a few 'health clubs' but I don't know whether these would be what I am looking for. I need a gym with free weights, as well as machines. Olympic barbells would be great but a smith machine will do. I would also like dumbells that go up to a good weight range, if they stop at 25kgs then they are falling short. A would also like a good supply of weight plates; enough so that if I someone is doing deadlift that eveybody else is not waiting for the plates. It doesn't have to be a fancy gym, just have the right gear and not be to scummy. Air con is very important in that climate as I have enough trouble not passing out at the moment, when I train.

I am actually a qualified personal fitness trainer, so if anybody needs any advice on training, diet etc. then pop in and see me. I am bringing my laptop with me and I have all types of workout plans for different goals and levels, or i could just put one together. It is not really that complicated to do, there are a core group of exercises, really, and then there are the variations of those exercises, which makes it a bit more complicated if you are a novice to resistance training. Anyway, I sound like I am touting again....not me; I will be too busy flogging my booze to keep people fit too.

Well, if anybody has any information that can help me narrow down my search when I arrive, then please let me know.

By the way, don't forget to come in and see me at the Emerald Irish bar and restuarant, I am there from the 14 th December - one show daily, two on Sunday's.

Thanks in advance.

world gym in on chaweng ring road ,i belong to the chaweng regent hotel gym 10000b a year can also sit round there pool ,freee towels .works out around 25 baht a day ,take a bangkok post from the desk and thats free ,also get 10% off drinks and food ,30% off room rates for freinds etc.......

Thanks in advance.

world gym in on chaweng ring road ,i belong to the chaweng regent hotel gym 10000b a year can also sit round there pool ,freee towels .works out around 25 baht a day ,take a bangkok post from the desk and thats free ,also get 10% off drinks and food ,30% off room rates for freinds etc.......

Thanks Lazeeboy, do either of the gyms that you mentioned have any of the facilites or equipment that I listed in my post?

If ever in Fisherman's Village and need a WC, this E.I. place has a great one.

I have a friend who goes to the Centura Grand Beach Resort's gym on Chaweng Beach. It's not hardcore but if you want to be reminded everyday that you live on a beautiful tropical island, this place has a great view and surroundings.

there are two places I know of that have what you want i.e. free weights and real work out facilities world gym on the ring road is full of work out buffs (pumping iron) the other place is on the beach road in chewang up stairs in front of the tops market, it has a vast amount of equipment. sauna, locker room etc... both places are less costly then the hotels but then again they are more like gyms.