Keep Your Passport With You At All Times

Q Bar was raided last Saturday night by the police.  All customers were drug tested.  Once tested the customers were stamped on the hand so they could leave but upon exiting they were then asked for their passport.  Copies were not accepted.  No original passport and down to Immigration they went.

it seems a thai driver's license and a copy of a passport wasn't accepted that night. i personally won't carry my original except outside bangkok. i feel the odds of some scumbag stealing it is greater than a run in with the police.

i personally won't carry my original except outside bangkok. i feel the odds of some scumbag stealing it is greater than a run in with the police.

Same here, except substitute Chiang Mai for Bangkok. In and out of Thailand since 1993 and living here since 1998, I've been asked to produce my passport by the police exactly twice: once at a highway checkpoint in Amphoe Sop Prap, Lampang in 1998. The other time was in 1999 while riding a third-class train between Hat Yai and Pattalung in 1999. Neither time did I have my passport or a copy with me and neither time did I get in trouble. Lesson learned nonetheless and I do like to have my passport with me now while actually traveling throughout the Kingdom. Of course I realize this could all change tomorrow if the powers-that-be really do start cracking down but a single raid on one bar/night club in Bangkok does not a crisis make... :o

I suppose paying a Bt1000 fine does work out cheaper than getting a stolen passport replaced and the worry about visas etc... :o

totster

Most certainly true in the light of the story from Pattaya,

where the immigration wanted 20,000 baht to replace a visa in a new passport!!

As mentioned above, the chances of Plod asking for your passport are very, very remote.

He is only on a scam, much different to what happened at Q bar where it was authorised from above, not a corrupt Plod.

I will continue to carry a photo copy of the relevant details of my passport and a copy of a utility bill showing my name and address.

I love the way that everyone ass u me s that Thai Police is corrupt and had no justification for the Q bar raid. No one here goes to the Q bar due to high cost, myself included. Why don't we give the police the benefit of the doubt that they were acting on a tip or other info that drug taking/dealing was going on inside that establishment. It certainly is in the realm of possiblity.

I can't see that anyone assumed anything re the Q bar raid.

It looks like it was authorised from above as those without their passports were taken to Immigration which seems 'straight' to me.

I refer to corrupt Plod, out with his pal, trying to scam expats and visitors with a 2000b "fine" to pay his rent, gambling debts or mia noi....... and seems only too willing to accept 200b when queried.

Plod certainly doesn't want to take you to Immigration as you will be given a proper receipt and Plod gets fkall..... :o