Arrival To Bkk On A One Way Ticket

phastmike

I know its possible but do they at Don Muang cause any trouble to those arriving without visa (30 days on arrival) or with tourist visa but without return ticket?

I want to return to Bkk, stay there some time and try to find a job. I don't want to pay for a return ticket which i may not use.

Are the tickets bkk-europe at the same price than those bought in europe.

Is ok to enter the kingdom without tourist visa and then get it from Laos, Cambodja, Myanmar or Malaysia?

Sorry for many questions and thanks in advance to those who can help me.

ps.:

one way ticket here costs around: 650€

3 months round-trip around: 890 €

6 months round-trip around: 1100€

I had no trouble arriving in BKK with a one-way ticket with passport check or with my airline. I went with electronic check-in though where I did not speak to a representitive of the airline. Some airlines might give you problems, it is not guarenteed. I do not know the one-way price to Europe, but to the USA it is cheaper to fly Thailand-USA economy than the other way around. About the Visa situation, you should post on the visa section and it depends what countries' passport you are holding. Also check out thorntree at www.lonelyplanet.com because there are more travelers postings there and you might actually get these questions answered there.

www.lonelyplanet.com

Thanks for the replies.

This question could have been made at the Visa section but the main issue is regarding the ticket. I'm in Portugal (portuguese) and the last time i went on StarAlliance(Lufthansa,Thai) but as far as the travel agent told me, the tickets are non-refundable, so that's my worry.

I've been one month in Thailand, mainly in bangkok and i've been in lurk mode on a few forums/boards of foreigners/expats living there.

About not getting the visa here is just due to the fact that the Embassy is far from my home and services in Europe are more expensive than in SE Asia, which means that i will spend more to get a visa here than getting it on a nearby country there, i think! (i can get it by mail? that would be nice :o)

I wanted to get a non-Imm B to be able to work there but the few companies that required my CV/resume always quit on me after knowing that i'm not there, this implies that i cannot get the letter required for the Visa. Seems and endless loop.

Since i do not know when i will be back (i will if i don't get a job), i'm not too keen on being chained to a return ticket that, maybe, i will not use. I was thinking about the 6 months roundtrip ticket which lets me change the return date without a fee/tax but i'm stucked to the 6 month limit.

So i thought about the one way ticket but i remember reading somewhere that a tourist should have a return ticket or at least a proof that he has enough money to buy a return ticket.

Is there also a problem if i enter as a tourist but carrying a laptop/notebook? The definition of work in thailand is very vague... For example: imagine a photographer, he can be a tourist but he can also be working!

Thanks, once more, for the replies.

You should obtain a tourist visa before you travel and it should not cost any more than any other place - all Consulates charge the same price (unless the exchange rate has recently changed). This will eliminate any problem of the one way ticket and not being allowed to board your aircraft and also give you a visa that can be changed to a B type inside Thailand if you find employment.

You should be able to obtain visa by mail or through a travel agent without making the trip to the Embassy yourself.

a 2 way ticket costs less than a 1 way.

650 Euro are more than enough to get a return ticket.

Otherwise buy on the Web a ticket to Malaysia (in this case you will loose just 50 Euros) and tell the Thai police that in 2 weeks time you will go to Malaysia to live (they will never care about your return ticket from Malaysia to Europe).

go to airasia.com if you want to buy this ticket and not use it.

.... but again, 1 way ticket and return ticket are both below 650 Euros (in low season).

i'm a brit and got into bkk with no visa from Singapore (though now wish i had, one less trip to camb) back in april. They did ask me at thai airways desk in s'pore why i didn't have onward ticket. I just said that i was travelling around for a few months and i'll buy one there, no problems.

Laptop absolutely no problem.

You are being overcharged for your tickets in Portugal

Shop around - you will get tickets at far cheaper rates.

If you do not want to buy a return ticket, buy one to Kuala Lumpur, or similar, via Bangkok. Should cost same money and will prevent problems at check-in.

Tourist (30-day) visa should be issued at airport. But longer-term visas will only be issued at Consulates outside Thailand.

To work in Thailand you must find a job, get a letter from your employer that you have a job (falling within required categories) take it to a Consulate outside Thailand, get your Non-Imm 'B' visa, come back to LOS and start your application for a work permit. Non-Imm 'B' can be either three-month single-entry or one-year multiple-entry.

Laptop is on the list of dutiable goods, but it is not worth the hassle of declaring it and going through the red channel. I did this once and all other times I have carried it on my shoulder through the green channel.

Airlines can get fined up to €3,000 if they fly someone with only a one-way ticket and no visa and that passenger gets turned away by immigration. In practise, you will rarely be asked for the onward or return ticket by Thai immigration but nice to have the ticket just to be sure. Swiss Airways asked me for a visa when I checked in on a one-way but still let me fly.

€1,100 for a return is steep, try flying to London on a budget carrier and getting the return from there via the internet. Trailfinders are quite cheap.

jackr, where did you get the €3,000 from? Baht 150,000!

Thought it is Baht 20,000, but not sure, and must fly the culprit out.

Btw, checked in for BKK at Singapore this morning. Nobody asked for my Thailand visa, which is not in the p/port, just made sure the SIN-stay was ok.

Makes it over the last 8 months 6 trips, 4 times ok, 2 x insisted on visa. (Which I then showed)

Anyway, why the hassle and the worry, if you are actually refused by a carrier? It is easy to get a visa, and as said, prices are the same, subject to exchange - rates.

A few years ago i flew to Thailand on a one way. No questions asked. I suggest if you do that. get your story straight. eg. you've got friends coming to meet you from Oz ands you are all gonna go travel around Asia and wherever. So dont know wher you'll be when you finally want to go back to the Uk. Not that you do. But its best to have a story ready. Or just get a visa and then have the same sort of story. I never worried too much. I was never even asked to show my onward ticket anyway.

jackr, where did you get the €3,000 from? Baht 150,000!

Thought it is Baht 20,000, but not sure, and must fly the culprit out.

Btw, checked in for BKK at Singapore this morning. Nobody asked for my Thailand visa, which is not in the p/port, just made sure the SIN-stay was ok.

Makes it over the last 8 months 6 trips, 4 times ok, 2 x insisted on visa. (Which I then showed)

Anyway, why the hassle and the worry, if you are actually refused by a carrier? It is easy to get a visa, and as said, prices are the same, subject to exchange - rates.

As ever Axel, you are correct. 20k and fly 'em out on the first available flight.

• 2 months later...

ok so i am totally confused except that i know that you should have a correct visa but if you get on the ground there you should normally be able to pass through as they do not check most western passports.

so the main problem is the airline? If the airline sells you ticket directly, then you are alright? meaning if i buy the ticket at the counter i am ok? I am getting a delay on my non-imm B visa in the processing and the visa will not arrive on-time with my start date and my departure. The last day of the ticket being held is in 2 days

ok so i am totally confused except that i know that you should have a correct visa but if you get on the ground there you should normally be able to pass through as they do not check most western passports.

so the main problem is the airline?  If the airline sells you ticket directly, then you are alright? meaning if i buy the ticket at the counter i am ok?  I am getting a delay on my non-imm B visa in the processing and the visa will not arrive on-time with my start date and my departure.  The last day of the ticket being held is in 2 days

Visa's are the passenger's responsibilty. The airline has no responsibility at all. Isn't it somewhat easier to just get a visa ?

Well they were right sonner or later i would be able to contribute unfortunately or forunately i suppose, i did get ahold of the consulate and she said she can overnight the visa if i sent it all today plus an additonal 20$ for expedition fee and a return envelope from fed ex they would give me a one day turn around time and have it back by this weds. Great news!

Well they were right sonner or later i would be able to contribute unfortunately or forunately i suppose, i did get ahold of the consulate and she said she can overnight the visa if i sent it all today plus an additonal 20$ for expedition fee and a return envelope from fed ex they would give me a one day turn around time and have it back by this weds.  Great news!

And your worries are over :o Good for you :D

The good Dr & Axel provide good advice as always & that is not a suck up. I was experiencing the one way ticket concern last year some time and as the Dr pointed out non immg visa one way ok.

My real reason for entering this topic was to highlight pricing for Australia.

Sydney to Bangkok return with most major airlines $1200-$1400 (one year ticket)

Bangkok to Sydney return one year ticket B30000 give or take a few thousand

Vietnam airlines same journey open ticket one year B21000 one night stay in HCM on return journey transfers & accomodation provided.

For the $ minded traveller.

mijan :o

The good Dr & Axel provide good advice as always & that is not a suck up. I was experiencing the one way ticket concern last year some time and as the Dr pointed out non immg visa one way ok.

Vietnam airlines same journey open ticket one year B21000 one night stay in HCM on return journey transfers & accomodation provided.

What are the aircraft in operation Mijan ?

They use triple-7's. Sounds like a good deal. Back to subject I've travelled into Don Muang from overseas close to 40 times but was never asked about a return ticket (visa on arrival 95%)... carrying a Norwegian passport, if that makes a difference.

In Singapore, HK, Malaysia, China and the Phillipines I seem to recall being asked though..

/// dfw

They use triple-7's. Sounds like a good deal. Back to subject I've travelled into Don Muang from overseas close to 40 times but was never asked about a return ticket (visa on arrival 95%)... carrying a Norwegian passport, if that makes a difference.

In Singapore, HK, Malaysia, China and the Phillipines I seem to recall being asked though..

/// dfw

Buy a lottery ticket with that luck.

/// dfw

I do every now and then...about 4 months ago I was one <deleted> number away from winning 72.5 MUSD on the Texas Lottery...

/// dfw

/// dfw

I do every now and then...about 4 months ago I was one <deleted> number away from winning 72.5 MUSD on the Texas Lottery...

/// dfw

Two tickets might have done it for you ( or did Dubya win it :o )

/// dfw

Two tickets might have done it for you ( or did Dubya win it :o )

Dubya's got way tooooo much of my money in the first place...

I did have the missing number directly below where it needed to be.

4+1 rather than 5+1 paid a few thou...would've greatly enjoyed multi-millions...I think?

/// dfw

Thanks dfwbkk for the 777's.

Service was good also godd departure time pf 6pm ex Don Muang with 1-2hr stop in HCM landed Kingsford Smith 9am.

Return suited me departing KS 10.20am arrive HCM 4pm depart HCM 12 noon next day.

Regards to all

Mijan24 :o

Is there also a problem if i enter as a tourist but carrying a laptop/notebook? The definition of work in thailand is very vague... For example: imagine a photographer, he can be a tourist but he can also be working!

No-one will take any notice of your notebook computer, it is just a shoulder bag.

The immigration are very unlikely to ask for your return/onward ticket, unless you

look suspicious or appear to come from an dubious country.

Westerners will just get the 30 day stamp.

As already stated you will have to check with the airline for their requirements at checkin.