I.d./passport Checks

my friend I

Just been on a trip from Korat to Ubon then along the river to Loei.

There wasn't one passport check while anywhere up here they are part of life.

My experience is that they check you passport during the evenings and the night. Several weeks ago from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai 4 ID checks! When it's raining they stay indoors :o .

When I drove from Laos to Chiang Rai they even checked my luggage, drivers licence, insurance papers etc. Not a problem, but....in general their English is not that good, at least worse than mine :D .

Edited by ISPY

I never bring my passport, just my driverlicences.

Anyone that knows if that is enough?

The passportnumber is printed on the driverslicence.

:o:D:D

I'd carry at least a photocopy Sven. All the relevant pages including your latest visa.

I take my passport everywhere.

I never bring my passport, just my driverlicences.

Anyone that knows if that is enough?

The passportnumber is printed on the driverslicence.

:o:D:D

I'd carry at least a photocopy Sven. All the relevant pages including your latest visa.

I take my passport everywhere.

Usually we take our passports with us when we leave the district.... not in town... never checked in Chiang Rai city...

In the city of course not. But even in the province I have a feeling that the officers see through most things when it comes to farangs. Much more than anywhere else I've been.

You are right.... besides that...normally it only takes time.... :o

Doesn't the law require non citizens to carry their passports at all times?

May be....but it is not convenient to take your passport all the time. Especially in the city it is inconvenient. Outside...doesn't make any difference.

Doesn't the law require non citizens to carry their passports at all times?

May be....but it is not convenient to take your passport all the time. Especially in the city it is inconvenient. Outside...doesn't make any difference.

I think it's a matter of practice making convenience. I carry a small strong shoulder bag at all time when I'm out. I has my phones, passport and a copy of my last "bai rabrong tin tee yu" which has my address on it.

I never forget I live in circumstances in this country that my home country would never allow for non residents and if carrying my passport is part of the deal then I'm willing to oblige.

That sounds serious scea! :D Even though if you had been living in France it would have been the same thing (if you´re not French that is). So, it´s actually not that an extreme measurement and with all the bozos living in Thailand it´s more or less natural that you should be able to identify yourself :o

I was once involved with two people in Phuket who refused to pay a restaurant bill based on not liking to smell the soap used when cleaning the kitchen after it closed. These two people were hunted down by the Chalong Police and hauled in the next day. One of the the culprits had left his passport in Hua Hin, the other had a small laminated copy in in wallet. Col. Satit stated that if you left the province of residence you are required to carry your passport with you. The culprit with small copy in his wallet resided in Phuket. The culprit without his passport was detained for several hours by the immigration police who were called in. In addition, immigration police could not find where this German National had entered the country.

On a positive note, Col Satit read a section of the Thai National Law which was also available in English that stated the seriousness of refusing to pay for goods or services at hotels and restrauants. In the end, the 2 culprits gladly paid the 1600 Baht bill they owed, otherwise they were headed to re-bar city. The bad mouth culprit number two called his lawyer to the scene and the lawyer told him that most likely he was going to be fined and could be deported for violation of the law and not having his passport with him. After several hours I left and and the culprit was in still in custody. Col. Satit promised them if they ever broke the law again in the his district they would be locked up for a significant period of time.

Hope that this is of some value. The reduced copy of your passport and visa laminated and carried in your wallet seems like a good idea and was satisfactory for culprit number one.

Don

Yeah great topic.. i've been throu most of Thailand by car, & only in CR & the south, they do have that many checkpoints ! Well CR IS #1 because, they are permanent .. Just out of curiosity, since i was asked for passport once & well gave it to them as well (didn't matter, as it was in glove compartment) Are they as happy to see thai DL ?!? or passport is what they are after ?!> Nice to know for the future, since i love the place .. esp. this time of the year :o

I have been using my Thai DL all the time. I have been stopped both in CR and in other provinces and noone has asked for passport.

10 days ago a friend and I went to Phuket. We used our Thai DL when we checked in in CR, BKK and Phuket. Noone asked for passport.

But I will make this small plastic copy of my passport.

:D:o:D

I think its normal that CR have many checking points. CR share border with Burma and Laos...obvious a drugs route include illegal traffic of all kinds.

Just take your id card or a copy of your passport on yourself should be fine. They're just doing their job. Although i've been asking for my Thai ID people still think i'm a foreigner (i dont look like Thai according to many peoples).

I think its normal that CR have many checking points. CR share border with Burma and Laos...obvious a drugs route include illegal traffic of all kinds.

Just take your id card or a copy of your passport on yourself should be fine. They're just doing their job. Although i've been asking for my Thai ID people still think i'm a foreigner (i dont look like Thai according to many peoples).

I didn't mean to suggest I had a problem with the checks.

But I didn't understand why there were none in E-sarn. There are the same concerns there with drug smuggling - in Khemmarat they had two drug sniffer dogs & they body searched everyone.

But I didn't understand why there were none in E-sarn. There are the same concerns there with drug smuggling - in Khemmarat they had two drug sniffer dogs & they body searched everyone.

Because Yaba comes from Burma. Where Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Tak, Mae Hong Sorn and along to Rathburi province all share the same borderline with them. The direct contact would be greater then in Isan region. Is not that Isan doesnt suffer from Yaba but much less then in the North. The drugs amount found here in Chiang Rai is massive when compare with Isan or other places.

Don't worry .. if you miss the checks take a leisurely drive along the Cambodian border from Wattana Nakhon up through Buriram & Surin province.. as long ,as you stay within 50km from the border, you'll have as many checks, as you can bear :o