Banglamung Cable Internet

pontious

Yes, I have it and so far it is very good (4 months now). Not always at top speed but very consistently available which is more important to me and the service is good also. I live out by Mapachan Lake and had MaxNet before and that was real crap compared to this. If you do not have BTV already, they charge 7500 to set you up. You get the first 2 months free at full speed - 4 Mbps. If you already have BTV, you pay 5000 for the cable box. After two months, you choose a plan with monthly rates similar to MaxNet - 1024Kbps/256 Kbps = 1000 Baht/month, etc. This info is from 4 months ago so it could have changed by now.

As an update:

I too have internet in the Mabprachan area, and indeed the first two months it was lightning fast. Often in excess of 3mbps.

Now it seems they have oversubscribed, as rarely speeds go over 400 kbps, sometimes as low as 50 kbps! To BTV's defense, they recognize the problems and have stopped accepting new subscribers (the standard "line full" reply). They also have not charged me 1 Baht, and promised not to do so until they have it running properly again.

Currently it is completely down, no IP is being assigned.

Main problem they have is the equipment to put the internet onto the cable is not living up to what it promised. The manufacturer states that the main cable should support 200 mbps, but practically BTV found out it tops out at around 80mbps.

Even though they calculated maximum possible subscribers on a cable capacity of 160mbps (allowing for tcp/ip overhead) they still ran out of capacity much sooner then expected...

Also, it is good to surf the web and for e-mailing. Forget all the rest. You do not get a router but a coax to LAN converter, the router is located in their office and off limits to you. They basically use equipment to use TV coax cable as very long CAT5 LAN cable. Basically you are on a local network with the router at BTV's office. No port forwarding etc an be set.

So currently the project is on hold...

• 4 months later...

I called the regular tel no for Banglamung Cable and the recep said the co doesn't offer any internet service but is only considering it! Anybody have a number for whoever at Banglamung knows about this service?

BTV has split of the internet service from their television service. The internet arm is now called Supernet.

http://www.supernet.co.th/

They actually seem to take it pretty serious, they have acquired several brand new little trucks to service existing and new customers.

It's working good, but has limitations, the biggest being that they cannot gice your cable modem a public IP address, but rather a private one.

In short, they have a router connected to the ADSL at their location, which will give you a private IP address using the TV cables basically as very long LAN cables.

Major drawback, no applications which need to be acessed from the internet side work. Examples are P2P, a camera which needs to be accessible from the internet (surveillance) etc..

This would need port forwarding, but since you do not have access to the router (and your own private IP address keeps changing) this is just not possible.

Sophon cable indeed buried the idea, strangely since BTV (Supernet) is actually doing pretty good on the technical side, and Supernet is already taking on subscribers in areas also served by Sophon cable TV!

I know the equipment Supernet uses, it is actually very good and cheap to deploy, the biggest cost are the end user modems, but this cost is entirely carried by the end users themselves (5,000 BAht for the modem)

Maybe later Supernet will mature, and be issued an ISP license, after which they can get their own public IP address pool. As of today, they are basically just reselling CAT ADSL to areas not serviced by CAT, but serviced by BTV's cable network.

• 2 months later...

I have BTV known as Banglamung Cable Net. Speed great 2 Mbps in fact sometimes a bit more. Cost Modem B 6000, Installation B 1500, Monthly rental B 1590. Inital connection costs total B 9090.

And yes it does go through CAT which is the best in Pattaya and guaranteed by CAT. However if you wish to have High Speed via CAT alone and not BTV, CAT charge B 2500 a month for the same speed.

BTV had threats of bombing their office last week and have had their cable cut outside 7/11 off Laplae Rd, competition obviously dont like them as they are taking business away. GOOD SERVICE.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to access this system has been one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had!

After months of "next week" promises, BTV technicians showed up at my door to install their modem.

I had had BTV cable for years so the access was there.

Four days later, and many hours of effort on their part, I still had no internet access.

I live less than a KM from the BTV sub-office down my soi.

I was the first person on my small village to ask for this service.

There is a "BTV black box" (repeater / amplifier / I don't know what") on the main Soi within sight of my house.

The techs changed out everything from that "box" to the cables to my house and finally got "service".

It was pitifully slow!

I complained and a "manager" showed up.

I showed him side-by-side that my TOT ADSL 1024 service was faster that BTV's 1 Meg service.

He upped the service to 2Meg and actually lost speed!

He told me to "try it out" for a while.

To their credit, BTV had not taken a satang from me in payment.

He promised a minimum of 1.5 kps with the 2Meg service line.

It has been horrible!

Not only has the 2 meg service never exceeded 800 kps; it is constantly dropping off-line and requires 2-3 attempts to re-establish the connection.

It is worse than a dial-up modem!

They called yesterday to say they were coming by to re-claim their modem.

They're not here yet......

I'd advise everyone to stay FAR, FAR away from these purveyor of lies until they get their act together an deliver a product somewhere near their exorbitant claims in thiei ads.

Pat

I too live near the Mabprachan Lake.

I contacted Supernet no less than 6 times over a period of 2 - 3 weeks, and each time they told me they would be out to see me the next day. That was weeks ago and I have never seen anyone yet.

Then Monty told me about BTV so I went to their office on Nern Plub Warn,and they took my details and said they would call me the next day for an appointment,

One week went by and no call. I went back to their office. After an interminable wait while they studied their computer and made several calls they told me that they had surveyed my place and the cable wouldn't be extended out there until the 'end of the month'. I pointed out that I already had their cable TV service and that all around me people were being connected. They said "end of the month" - not very convincingly.

I will either never get cable internet or I will end up with two on the same day :D .

Which do you reckon? :o

And yes it does go through CAT

It is my understanding that CAT owns ALL the connections that leave Thailand.

IOW everything "goes ththrough CAT".

Therein lies a major issue.

CAT sells off its available bandwidth to other ISPs (TOT, CAT, BTV for example).

They then subdivide that amount to their customers.

You are likely sharing your 1-2 Meg service with 4-10 others who think they have the same level of service.

Should CAT have any trouble at all, since they are the bottle-neck, everyone in the queue experirnces slower service.

BTV's "manager" promised me that they "will not share bandwidth" but this was either an outright lie or just a play on words.

Nothing in Thailand is as it seems.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
As an update:

I too have internet in the Mabprachan area, and indeed the first two months it was lightning fast. Often in excess of 3mbps.

Now it seems they have oversubscribed, as rarely speeds go over 400 kbps, sometimes as low as 50 kbps! To BTV's defense, they recognize the problems and have stopped accepting new subscribers (the standard "line full" reply). They also have not charged me 1 Baht, and promised not to do so until they have it running properly again.

Currently it is completely down, no IP is being assigned.

Main problem they have is the equipment to put the internet onto the cable is not living up to what it promised. The manufacturer states that the main cable should support 200 mbps, but practically BTV found out it tops out at around 80mbps.

Even though they calculated maximum possible subscribers on a cable capacity of 160mbps (allowing for tcp/ip overhead) they still ran out of capacity much sooner then expected...

Also, it is good to surf the web and for e-mailing. Forget all the rest. You do not get a router but a coax to LAN converter, the router is located in their office and off limits to you. They basically use equipment to use TV coax cable as very long CAT5 LAN cable. Basically you are on a local network with the router at BTV's office. No port forwarding etc an be set.

So currently the project is on hold...

A friend got the Wireless equipment from BTV and now he suspects that his neighbours are using his bandwidth, he can't figur out how to encrypt the Lan converter or router or whatever it is, Did they block that option also?

monty, have you tried dyndns to keep a track of your IP

Won't work.

Supernet hands out private IP address to their customers, which means it's not the same as the IP address visible on the internet.

DynDns detects the public IP address, which is the address assigned by CAT to the ADSL router located at Supernet's offices.

Private IP addresses are not accessible from the internet unless port forwarding to the required private IP address is done at the point where you have a public IP address (in this case Supernet's router, too which I have no access!).

Additionally, the private IP address Supernet hand out are dynamically assigned by the coax cable network equipment, not by the router, so even for them it would be close to impossible to start doing port forwarding for certain customers, if they even grasp the concept :o