Frozen Roast Veg?

Tatler

Just wondering if i could start cooking my roast vegetables now for Christmas day and then freeze them?? could i take them out of the freeze on Christmas morning then heat them up in the oven?? Any info would be great. Cheers

Yeah, I've done this before in the UK. As long as they are oven heated rather than nuked they will be about 90% as good as freshly cooked, but defrost them before putting in the oven.

Cheers, this will save so much time.

The previous response raises the question, when buying frozen vegetables in the market, package directions always say don't defrost before cooking so why wouldn't that advice apply here?

Freezing in the fast freeze section of a frostless freezer is one method of freezing, similar to commercial fast frozen vegetables, perhaps slow freezing in the freezer section of a manual frost refrigerator may require a different approach?

The previous response raises the question, when buying frozen vegetables in the market, package directions always say don't defrost before cooking so why wouldn't that advice apply here?

Freezing in the fast freeze section of a frostless freezer is one method of freezing, similar to commercial fast frozen vegetables, perhaps slow freezing in the freezer section of a manual frost refrigerator may require a different approach?

We are talking about roasted vegetables. Frozen veg for steaming/boiling is fine from frozen, I have just found from experience that it is better to defrost roasted veg prior to heating for 10 mins to revitalise them. If you have to cook them for 30-40 mins to ensure they are fully defrosted and heated through they will generally be overdone.

I am an amatuer cook and speak from my experience only.