Any Issues On Keeping My Thai Bank Account

I'm leaving soon, but I want to keep my Thai bank account running as I still expect to get the odd payment coming in through my online business. Since there is a whole song and dance about needing a non-B and work permit to open my account, will there be any issues once I no longer have these. I plan on using Internet banking to monitor my account from abroad.

Can't say definitively but when my contract came to an end I stayed on another 18 months and continued to use my Thai Farmers account and visa/WP never even got raised but I didn't receive funds for that time. I am led to believe that any account lying dormant for a period, 3 months sticks in my mind but don't quote me, is automatically closed. Personally I don't see it as an issue but you could go along to the bank and ask, maybe just tell them you're off to a new contract elsewhere but want to keep the account.

I'm leaving soon, but I want to keep my Thai bank account running as I still expect to get the odd payment coming in through my online business. Since there is a whole song and dance about needing a non-B and work permit to open my account, will there be any issues once I no longer have these. I plan on using Internet banking to monitor my account from abroad.

Not sure who your bank is with. That could make a difference. I moved away from Thailand for about 2 years, and kept all my accounts open (with Bangkok Bank and Bank of Asia - now UOB). No problem. It's easier to just keep accounts open in Thailand than to close them. A couple of tips:

- Internet banking is a good idea. Be prepared for it to take a couple of weeks to set up if you don't have already.

- Consider registering 3rd party bank accounts that you can transfer money to 3rd parties on-line. eg friend/ persons you trust that bank with same bank. If need be you can transfer money to them on-line, which can be useful if you need to make small payments, get funds to someone etc. Again may take a couple of visits to bank/ weeks

- For current (and some other) accounts there is often a minimum balance below which they charge a fee. eg Bangkok Bank is THB 5,000 and below that charges THB 100 per month

Golden rule. Sort before you move, and allow a couple of weeks to put in place. Sometimes they go smoothly, sometimes you keep needing to go back to your branch

Edited by fletchsmile

One of my accounts was closed last month by the bank after 12 months of no activity.

Took a trip to the bank with my passport and the account was re-activated.

Taking a few hundred Baht out every few months via ATM card should keep it functional.

Naka.

Edited by naka

The account must be kept active. There may be different time periods for different banks, I don't know. A local farang friend of mine had his account at the Siam Commercial bank closed for inactivity. He lives here. He didn't even know it. I owed him some money and he asked me to deposit it into his account. The bank told me that the account was closed.

I've kept a Kasikorn bank account going since about 1997. For various periods, the last between 2004 and 2006 it remained pretty inactive. I always managed to keep a couple of thousand baht in it, and it seemed to work.

Good idea about getting internet banking though.