Buying Property With A Thai Wife

I have a question about a Thai national buying property with a non-Thai spouse wrt to the Land Department

I am looking at buying a property with my Thai girlfriend. While she is professional and has a good salary, most of the money will come from me (I will pay 50% in cash and we are looking at a mortgage for 50%).

Obviously I need a way to protect my investment.

As we are planning to get married at some point, one of the options we are looking at is to get married soon and then the property should go into the marriage estate. However I have read that a Thai, with a non-Thai spouse “may” have to sign something at the Land Department saying all the money is hers.

Firstly this would not be true to she would be lying and therefore committing fraud. Secondly, it would do little to protect my investment.

Any ideas on whether the Thai national always has to sign this form with the Land Department? Is there any way round it if she does?

I have a question about a Thai national buying property with a non-Thai spouse wrt to the Land Department

I am looking at buying a property with my Thai girlfriend. While she is professional and has a good salary, most of the money will come from me (I will pay 50% in cash and we are looking at a mortgage for 50%).

Obviously I need a way to protect my investment.

As we are planning to get married at some point, one of the options we are looking at is to get married soon and then the property should go into the marriage estate. However I have read that a Thai, with a non-Thai spouse “may” have to sign something at the Land Department saying all the money is hers.

Firstly this would not be true to she would be lying and therefore committing fraud. Secondly, it would do little to protect my investment.

Any ideas on whether the Thai national always has to sign this form with the Land Department? Is there any way round it if she does?

I just signed one of those papers Tuesday. Basically it says that you have no interest in the property and that it is hers alone. If you want protection you must buy a condo in your name BEFORE you get married.

The new Salon/house ive just paid for and we are not married, could i apply for some rights to the property and then get married? or could i apply after getting married, at the this time there is no need for us to be married, GFs parents are both dead, GF has 2 kids 16 plus years old i have 2, 26/29 yo and a grandson, I live with my GF full time and on a retirement visa thanks for any help, Cheers, Lickey..

The new Salon/house ive just paid for and we are not married, could i apply for some rights to the property and then get married? or could i apply after getting married, at the this time there is no need for us to be married, GFs parents are both dead, GF has 2 kids 16 plus years old i have 2, 26/29 yo and a grandson, I live with my GF full time and on a retirement visa thanks for any help, Cheers, Lickey..

Hi Lickey,

I was in the same type of situation when I purchased several & Rai & put it her name as foreigners cannot own the land.

From what I do understand Once you are married & build a house. Upon divorce(hopefully it never happens!) you would be entitled to half of the house assets. I believe that is the only thing you can get back. You can protect yourself somewhat with a 30 year lease or an unsfruct.

Their are some good posts on these subjects. Quicksilva is super knowledgeable on both as well as others in this forum.

If you go this route, you have to decide which route is best for you as they both have their pro's & cons to either option.

The best advice Everyone will agree on is never invest more money than your willing to part with.

If you don't get a bunch of responses start a new post & ask. This site is really helpful!

Cheers to you!

Beardog

• 2 weeks later...

:o