Need New Keyboard And Mouse

cm-happy

Have an Imac machine, in need of a new keyboard and mouse. Should I go to local apple store to get an OEM replacement to ensure compatibilty, or is it ok to go to IT city or some such place, that might have a wider selection as long as they interface correctly with the Imac. Opinions?

Have an Imac machine, in need of a new keyboard and mouse. Should I go to local apple store to get an OEM replacement to ensure compatibilty, or is it ok to go to IT city or some such place, that might have a wider selection as long as they interface correctly with the Imac. Opinions?

I don't think that you'll find Keyboard and Mouse for an Mac on an other place than a Mac Shop! IT City don't have them!

So long as you don't mind deviating from the 'mac look', any decent usb mouse & keyboard should work in terms of compatibility. Just check the package for Mac info. OTOH, If I were a mac user i wouldn't want a windows keyboard layout (Windows key, no Mac command key, etc.)

I recently upgraded to a laser mouse from an old MS optical mouse. It's really nice to finally have a mouse that tracks really well on any surface, i couldn't use the optical mouse on my desktop.

Any USB keyboard / mouse will work with the Mac.

I would get one of the new super flat Mac keyboards just because I think they look fantastic. I would even go with the wireless version because in my day to day work I have no use for a number pad, and the slick wireless keyboard looks even more fantastic.

I also have a MightyMouse which works very well on the Mac. I have tried it on Windows before and found that while it works, it doesn't provide a good experience. I don't know why exactly - it just doesn't have a good feeling for Windows use. But for Mac use, it's great, the little scroll ball works way better than any wheel I have seen. That said Logitech also makes fantastic mouses so that would be a great choice too. The MightyMouse doesn't work well for some people.

Final bit of advice: Go try out a few options. Keyboard and mouse are highly personal choices, it's mostly about whether or not you like the feel. Good keyboards are not expensive but make sure to not get the cheapest possible because those will likely cause damage to your hands.