Advice On Non O Visas Wanted

This is my first post, so hope I'm not going over old ground.

I'm British, 46yrs old. Have been living in Thailand for 6 years, getting by on Tourist visas and 30 day entry stamps.

Went back to the UK briefly last year and got a multiple entry Non O from The Consulate in Hull. This expires on Sept 22. Done my final run and am now legal until Nov 7.

Questions are these.

What are the current requirements in Penang or Vientianne for getting another multiple entry Non O?

I've heard lots of stories and needless to say, it's all a bit confusing. One version is this. I need 800,000 B in a Thai bank account, or income of 65,000 a month. The first is out of the question, but I do have the income. However, it's deposited in a UK bank and I draw on it here through ATMs etc. Does this income have to be coming into a Thai bank in a lump sum to get the visa? I'm also told that if financial matters are authenticated by The Embassy in Bangkok, this will help. Is this possible? If I go to either Malaysia or Laos with original bank statements, will this suffice as proof of income?

I appreciate that rules and regulations change regularly, but any up-to-date info on the above would be appreciated.

I know this doen't answer your question, but I'm amazed you have been living in Thailand for six years & don't even know the basics of visa requirements. The answer to your question has been posted many times in www.thaivisa.com; just do a search.

Best of luck...

You wrote...

I'm British, 46yrs old
Then you wrote
I need 800,000 B in a Thai bank account, or income of 65,000 a month.

Those conditions are for extension of stay on a "O" visa for retirement. One of the conditions being you're 50 years or older. Forget about that option then.

Now the Consul in Hull may of granted you a visa based on marriage to a Thai which on an extension of stay would be 400,000 Baht or 40,000 Baht income.

He could of also issued you the "O" visa for other, as he did not really have a category to put you in. You might of stated to him you wanted to seek out business opportunities.

Hence if you are not married to a Thai, working or acquired a business. You cannot apply for an extension of stay at this time. Your best choice is to determine what your purpose is to stay in Thailand the coming year. Depending on that answer, we can then advise you the best action.

By the way you wrote

got a multiple entry Non O from The Consulate in Hull. This expires on Sept 22. Done my final run and am now legal until Nov 7.

If you cross the border Sept 21st and come back the same date, you'll find that you will have 90 more days and your exit date will be December 20th 2004. Hence you still have more than 40 days past Nov. 7th. by going and coming on the 21st of Sept.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Thanks for the info sunbelt asia. Take your point about departing on Sept 21. Certainly makes sense to get the additional time.

When I got the visa from Hull, there was a section on the application form to tick that I was visiting Thailand for a prolonged period of time to see "friends/family". I telephoned them and asked if visiting my girlfriend would suffice. They said yes and a few days later my passport was back with visa through the post. I was in the UK, by the way, so sending it wasn't illegal.

My father also guaranteed to cover the cost of repatriation if necessary. The consulate even supplied a printed letter for this, leaving blanks for names, dates etc.

I somehow assume that the process will not be so straighforward in neighbouring countries to Thailand.