Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

3. 3,832

LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

4. 0

Air India trip report....

5. 9

The Urgency of Addressing Iran’s Nuclear Threat

6. 17

My Topics and comments has moved from the right side over to the left of the page

7. 76

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

8. 8

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

9. 47

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 51

Wine In Checked Baggage

Cbr 150 Tyre Swap

mac.wheeler

Hi folks.

I was chatting with another CBR150 owner the other day and he was telling me he changed his rear tyre to something a little larger, he has managed to squeeze a 120/80 17 inch 61S onto the rear wheel by moving the wheel back as far as possible on the frame and lengthening the chain.

I got to thinking about this then thought hey, I wonder how big of a tyre I can squeeze under the front mudguard?

Has anybody tried putting a meatier front rubber on a CBR150? Or have any idea how big you can go whilst still maintaining enough clearance for the mudguard?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mac.wheeler

I'm sorry, but when I hear things like this I always think the same thing. Why? Honda designed your bike to have that size tyre, do not mess. Start trying to squeeze in a larger tyre (have no idea on original size by the way) and you end up changing the profile and probably ending up with a smaller contact area

I'm sorry, but when I hear things like this I always think the same thing. Why? Honda designed your bike to have that size tyre, do not mess. Start trying to squeeze in a larger tyre (have no idea on original size by the way) and you end up changing the profile and probably ending up with a smaller contact area

That is a very valid comment and has given me pause for thought, my guess would be even the minimul (prolly couple of milimeter) and half inch longer wheelbase would change things. It woulf obviously put the gear ratios out of whack a little as well.

First Honda Thailand (APhonda) follows market trends, things that sell good...

Small tires on fast bikes sell good, as most Thai street racers belief it faster.............(no comment)

Most motorcycles produced by APHonda do better on alternative tires

Since the speedometer is wildly optimistic and drives off the front wheel, a larger diameter tire/wheel would reduce the error, and probably still be optimistic. I'd hesitate to fit a fatter front tire because I like the crisp handling of the stock size. The back tire doesn't need more width to handle the torque, because mine never wheelspins. We did fit a larger rolling radius rear tire a month or two ago (my boyfriend now drives it on tip-toes), but I haven't noticed much difference in the new IRC tire. Of course a real quality Michelin or Pirelli would improve the handling, but what tubeless sizes are actually available in Thailand, and how much do they cost?

Since the speedometer is wildly optimistic and drives off the front wheel, a larger diameter tire/wheel would reduce the error, and probably still be optimistic. I'd hesitate to fit a fatter front tire because I like the crisp handling of the stock size. The back tire doesn't need more width to handle the torque, because mine never wheelspins. We did fit a larger rolling radius rear tire a month or two ago (my boyfriend now drives it on tip-toes), but I haven't noticed much difference in the new IRC tire. Of course a real quality Michelin or Pirelli would improve the handling, but what tubeless sizes are actually available in Thailand, and how much do they cost?

I've searched high and low for the correct sized tires from a name brand manufacturer and the closest I could get would be a front tire in the 120/75-17 range. Anything else was an exercise in futility.

I also agree that the CBR150 R could use a meatier pair of tyres. Granted, at slow speeds it would slightly hinder the handling, but driving the bike like it's supposed to be would result in much better stability.

My biggest worry about putting on a meatier tire is that to do it right, and I'm talking about a name brand tire, would most likely involve trying to find a wider rim. A wider rim usually means that you'd end up changing your driveline angle (i.e. the chain is most likely going to not have a straight shot from the output sproket to the rear tire's sproket, creating strain and wearing out components), and I'm not in Thailand right now to check to see if the CBR's motor can be adjusted horizontally.

I've searched high and low for the correct sized tires from a name brand manufacturer and the closest I could get would be a front tire in the 120/75-17 range. Anything else was an exercise in futility.

I also agree that the CBR150 R could use a meatier pair of tyres. Granted, at slow speeds it would slightly hinder the handling, but driving the bike like it's supposed to be would result in much better stability.

My biggest worry about putting on a meatier tire is that to do it right, and I'm talking about a name brand tire, would most likely involve trying to find a wider rim. A wider rim usually means that you'd end up changing your driveline angle (i.e. the chain is most likely going to not have a straight shot from the output sproket to the rear tire's sproket, creating strain and wearing out components), and I'm not in Thailand right now to check to see if the CBR's motor can be adjusted horizontally.

I took a good look at the front mudguard today, at the back there isn't an awful lot of room, maybe 1cm at best, clearance around the edges and front seem fine though, but not sure just what I could squeeze under it size wise.

Thats a good point.

The tyres on the CBR always seem a little on the small/thin side though.

I wouldn't put this to the test myself but has anyone actually got their knee down on a CBR using stock tyres?

The tyres always seem to give the impression they'd not be able to take the lean 'down-that-far' so to speak...

I would be interested to know if anyone here drives a CBR150 so agressively that they are able to put a knee down. I can't think of anyplace in my neighborood where I would have enough faith in the pavement, and whatever might be around that corner, that I would be willing to give that a shot.

Maybe on the racetrack though. What do the CBR150 race drivers do for tires?

Jim, I ain't no road racer. If I understood your corner (approaching Tha Pae gate from the inside, northbound), that's a tight corner. I was going around the inner southwest corner real fast one night, and the pillion rider complimented me on my driving skill. You can be sure my knee was nowhere near the pavement, or he would have been screaming for his life!

Yesterday on the Canal Road southbound, approaching the Night Safari but even earlier, I was going through the high speed S curves faster than anybody else, and really felt I was pushing hard, and leaning over. My knee was nowhere near the ground, and the driver's seat is not very high. I don't have the nerves or the foolishness to get that aggressive in a developing country where there might be elephant poo on the road surface, or a dead Thai.

I don't kow what sizes the cbr take but maybe a 110 front and 140 back would fit. ??

Check out this website. http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/bike/

road surface permitting the gpr70 will confidently give you enough lean until you run out ground clearance although i think the standard tires are more than good enough for most people unless they have a death wish. :o

Be good if they stock the GPR 70s in Thailand...

Anyone know?

don't think it should be problem ! althou the gpr 70 has been replaced by a new "Alpha 10" so maybe ask for either . Another alternative is Bridgestone BT 90 which are pretty popular with 400cc

My bike came with an 80/90 in front, and a 100/80 in the rear.

Fellow owner has noticeably larger tires on the same rims, and his bike is taller when next to mine. Those larger sizes are:

90/80 in the front, and a 110/80 in the rear.

I am going to change to the larger sizes as soon as I need to. Can anyone suggest a store that has good brands?

• 1 year later...
Hi folks.

I was chatting with another CBR150 owner the other day and he was telling me he changed his rear tyre to something a little larger, he has managed to squeeze a 120/80 17 inch 61S onto the rear wheel by moving the wheel back as far as possible on the frame and lengthening the chain.

I got to thinking about this then thought hey, I wonder how big of a tyre I can squeeze under the front mudguard?

Has anybody tried putting a meatier front rubber on a CBR150? Or have any idea how big you can go whilst still maintaining enough clearance for the mudguard?

Thanks in advance.

u can put a 110 on the front end; i read that in a cbr forum on the internet. the guy said he has only a 90 on the front to keep the flick-ability. at the rear end u could get a 130 according to the same guy. u can also put the mono swing arm from a NSR 150 SP on a cbr. the nsr has a 120 rear stock tire fitted; maybe a 140 would fit on that?

because a wider tire looks nicer and gives u MORE grip because it IS wider. why do you think sports cars have wider tires??? and what do you mean with changing the profile? the only reason in my opinion for honda putting on such small tires is that they are cheaper, and hence more affordable for all the thais with their small salaries. no offense intended.

First Honda Thailand (APhonda) follows market trends, things that sell good...

Small tires on fast bikes sell good, as most Thai street racers belief it faster.............(no comment)

Most motorcycles produced by APHonda do better on alternative tires

smaller tires and wheels equals less weight, which results in better acceleration. the difference, though, on small bikes such as clicks and waves is probably not much of a big deal.

i personally totally dislike those slim cheese cutters on any motorbike because they look soo bad; and the grip in curves is probably for sh.., too.

Edited by pacovl46

That is a very valid comment and has given me pause for thought, my guess would be even the minimul (prolly couple of milimeter) and half inch longer wheelbase would change things. It woulf obviously put the gear ratios out of whack a little as well.

a longer wheelbase is usually better handling then a shorter one as long as the frame is any good. an inch on a cbr won't make a difference handling wise. a wider tire is usually also a bit wider in diameter which could effect the acceleration a bit, we're talking split seconds here, though.

Thats a good point.

The tyres on the CBR always seem a little on the small/thin side though.

I wouldn't put this to the test myself but has anyone actually got their knee down on a CBR using stock tyres?

The tyres always seem to give the impression they'd not be able to take the lean 'down-that-far' so to speak...

check out the following video on youtube:

the bike in the video is actually a CBR 125, but since it has the same stock tires as the 150 it doesn't matter. i actually sent the guy an email asking what tires are on the bike. his reply was factory. he didn't put his knee on the tarmac, though ;-)

Well the Cbr125 in the Uk has 100/70-17 front and 110/70-17 rear as recommended fitment (double check on michelin uk web, not sure if 70 or 80). The Michelin pilot sporty is an excellent tyre for the cbr150. the front was superb on my old bike. I also had the 130/70-17 rear it felt to large. if you can get the UK recommended sizes then do so, you will not regret it.

A guy on mocyc advertises them. Also PACO the factory tyres in the uk are different to here

Allan

Edited by thaicbr