mac.wheeler

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend at work/school bought one at Pantip 2 weeks ago

and I bought one yesterday at FortuneTown.

They had the black version and that is what I have now.

Installed Windows for me for free.

But Linux and/or Ubuntu work very well.

I paid 12000B including VAT for the 4G non camera model.

I purchased a 80GB 2.5 inch USB Western Digital drive for it to have plenty of storage.

That ran 2700B

It will be really easy to carry to/from work now.

Fits inside a 70 CD carry case nicely.

Noticed a black one for 10.9k in Pantip on Friday. Didn't pay much attention to features so don't know if camera model or not.
This was probably the 2G model.

Thanks guys, I lost my windows mobile smartphone a few days ago and this little beast might be just the ticket for a better and cheaper replacement. I have a nice fate 16Gb USB stick that will get around the storage limitations nicely.

Noticed a black one for 10.9k in Pantip on Friday. Didn't pay much attention to features so don't know if camera model or not.
This was probably the 2G model.

You may be right about unit at Pantip but I saw the same 10.9k price for 4GB and no camera or 11.9K for 4GB and camera, at Siri Center today.

Bought one 3 weeks ago Pantip BKK, pearl white, 4G, cam, 512MB, including VAT = 12700Baht. Upgraded to full desktop.

Only one word: fantastic!

I thought it might be an interesting device to use as a media center PC. Have you tried any movies on it, especially if connected to an external monitor? Speed issues, etc. All my movies are on an external USB drive and connected to a full size PC which I would prefer to free up for other uses. Also, would be easy to disconnect it and carry it with me when I need a travel computer.

Bought one 3 weeks ago Pantip BKK, pearl white, 4G, cam, 512MB, including VAT = 12700Baht. Upgraded to full desktop.

I thought it might be an interesting device to use as a media center PC. Have you tried any movies on it, especially if connected to an external monitor? Speed issues, etc. All my movies are on an external USB drive and connected to a full size PC which I would prefer to free up for other uses. Also, would be easy to disconnect it and carry it with me when I need a travel computer.

Some of the multimedia enclosures like this would be good for that too.

Ok, I just gave it a try on my big screen, up to now I only used it's own one.

That's, what I found out: It works up to a resolution of 1280 x 960, (1650 x 1050 did not work although you could choose this resolution, but there is not even a recognizable screen....). I tried all kinds of files like mpg (DVD on harddrive in this case), m4v, flv, and mp4 as well as DVD from an external drive. All works well, mostly also with maximised window - but not as well in full-screen mode, there you'll get some jerking, only mpg-files are doing well.

In my opinion this tiny little machine is very usefull as travel media center, I by myself get a lot of staff downloaded from miro, put it on an external USB drive and have enough fun for the time being away from home.

One thing: When fresh, the EEE rejected mp4 and m4v format, but I just installed vlc and everything was fine.

Ok, I just gave it a try on my big screen, up to now I only used it's own one.

Great, thanks for taking the time for the update.

Anyone seen the 8gb version anywhere?

Only rumors. But prices of flash memory are declining rapidly, for example Kingston-stick 4GB 999.-Baht, 8GB Toshiba Pocket-Disk 1999.- and so on. 

So, who cares?

Anyone seen the 8gb version anywhere?

Only rumors. But prices of flash memory are declining rapidly, for example Kingston-stick 4GB 999.-Baht, 8GB Toshiba Pocket-Disk 1999.- and so on.

So, who cares?

I care - the EEE fits my travel needs so very well - been waiting for something like this for many reasons. Yet 4 gig C drive is just too tight - need 6 gig minimum for windows, a few programs and at least one audio project. Dont want to run programs from flash card, also have doubts that flash transfer rate would be fast enough for multi track audio - its certainly slower than internal drive transfer rate. I'm in Chiangmai mostly - as soon as 8 gig EEE hits Bangkok I'm coming to get one. So, anyone seen the 8gb version anywhere?

I care - the EEE fits my travel needs so very well - been waiting for something like this for many reasons. Yet 4 gig C drive is just too tight - need 6 gig minimum for windows, a few programs and at least one audio project.

I have a 4G with full Windows XP and Office 2003 installed. Still have 500M left for more programs after YMessenger and VLC and Foxit [compact pdf reader] installed too.

And they installed Windows for free with the purchase.

JFYI

I picked up a 4GB black non-webcam with a 1GB RAM upgrade and a 4GB SD card in Pantip a couple of days ago.

What an incredible little machine, I've used lots of different portable devices over the years starting with an old IBM PC transportable complete with CRT monitor and fold down full size keyboard a couple of decades ago. I've tried PDA's, laptops, smaller notebooks, smart phones, all of them didn't quite do the job as I would like.

This cheap little PC does it perfectly, I truly recommend it.

Last weekend they were on sale in one of the smaller laptop shops on the top floor of fortune. They had two models - a black one for 11K with camera and various colors of a non-camera version for 10K. I played with one for a bit - seemed quite nice for casual browsing/portable machine. The vendor said if you install windows on it there is only 1GB space left, but if you leave Linux on it there is 3GB space.

Keyboard is too small to touch type, my only criticism. If you want a tiny notebook you can drop in a bag and carry around for basic needs this is ideal.

Last weekend they were on sale in one of the smaller laptop shops on the top floor of fortune. They had two models - a black one for 11K with camera and various colors of a non-camera version for 10K. I played with one for a bit - seemed quite nice for casual browsing/portable machine. The vendor said if you install windows on it there is only 1GB space left, but if you leave Linux on it there is 3GB space.

Keyboard is too small to touch type, my only criticism. If you want a tiny notebook you can drop in a bag and carry around for basic needs this is ideal.

Even a full blown and fat XP install only takes up around 1.4Gb, if you streamline your install using something like nLite you can get it down to about 500Mb which would leave you just under 3.5Gb free for other software installs.

I'll let you know very soon just what fits as I am currently in the process of installing XP properly to replace the dodgy copy that was on the machine when I purchased it. Quite complicated though as I don't have a USB CD-ROM drive and am having to juggle USB memory sticks instead.

Mac.wheeler,

I have a machine with XP on it.

I would love to know how to scale it from 1.5Gig to 500Meg.

To others concerned about memory, there are 3 usb ports and 4G flash drives are around 1000B each so getting 8-12 G added on is easy. Plus there is an SD card slot for another Gig or more.

I bought a little 120G 2.5 inch USB hard drive for 2600B which is small, light and has all my large data files like photos, videos and music.

Three weeks now and it seems like a seamless machine perfect for my protable needs.

Edited by paulfr

Mac.wheeler,

I have a machine with XP on it.

I would love to know how to scale it from 1.5Gig to 500Meg.

To others concerned about memory, there are 3 usb ports and 4G flash drives are around 1000B each so getting 8-12 G added on is easy. Plus there is an SD card slot for another Gig or more.

I bought a little 120G 2.5 inch USB hard drive for 2600B which is small, light and has all my large data files like photos, videos and music.

Three weeks now and it seems like a seamless machine perfect for my protable needs.

Ok just finnished the instal plus all windows updates.... 3.08Gb free on the SSD afterwards.

Google nLite to find out how to streamline an XP install and remove the stuff you just don't need.

Google nLite to find out how to streamline an XP install and remove the stuff you just don't need.

Here's a step by step guide for doing it for an eee > http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nLitexp

BTW: I just received my black eee PC (with webcam) and 1GB ram today and it really looks nice. Bought it to replace my PocketPC which isn't so pocketable with it's built in keyboard. The eee costs less them my PocketPC. :o

Here's a step by step guide for doing it for an eee > http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nLitexp

BTW: I just received my black eee PC (with webcam) and 1GB ram today and it really looks nice. Bought it to replace my PocketPC which isn't so pocketable with it's built in keyboard. The eee costs less them my PocketPC. :o

I should also point out that I disabled the swap file to get that much free storage space.

I agree with the cost comment, the price is less than I paid for my HTC TYTN smart phone, pretty amazing.

Saw the Eee PC in CNX Pantip for 10.x K - looks awesome - small, cheap, and stylish. Feels sturdy.

I'd buy it in an instant if the screen was just a little bit bigger (filling it out to the bezel) and there was 8 or 16G RAM in it. I would pay extra for this no problem, and this stuff is cheap, so chances are they'll come as soon as Asus production catches up with demand... no wonder they're selling like hotcakes. I would leave linux on it too - a tiny unix box, a geek's dream...

USB sticks stick out so not really an elegant option. The SD card would work but my experience with an SD card in my current laptop is that it's god-awful slow. That is, the card is the fastest I could get, "150x", but the SD slot was apparently not made for speed. It feels very slow.