Asus Eee Pc

mac.wheeler

I'm running 1280X800 on a 12" screen and its a nice res, but I think it'd be overkill for an 8.9" screen - 1024x600 would be perfect for the EEE... maybe I'll have to wait for it - when? Mid year, here in Thailand? Judging by the lack of the 8gig which was due 1st week of Jan, I think better screen model wont be here til Sept at the earliest... dam_n i want that portability for that kind of money - the 9v power input is really a big plus for me also - can run on external battery....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone seen one on display or for sale on Phuket yet ??

I want to go and actually hold one..

Trying to decide if I was a 12 inch 'real' laptop or a ultra portable again (after the screen update).. I owned and loved a libretto for years so am quite sold on the idea but will be my only travelling laptop so also a bit cool due to that.. Would be an ideal second weekender machine.

Hi Los,

Got one at the office, we've had it for about 2 months now - They are for sale everywhere - Central at the top of the elevators, Big C etc... (White and Black).

Think its 13k baht. If you can handle linux instead of windows it wins on just about all counts, boots faster, more responsive etc....

In terms of people moaning about the resolution - 840x400 res on a 7" screen is exactly the same pixel quantity as 1680x800 on a 14" screen or 3360 x 1600 on a 28" screen, its perfectably acceptable - I can see no reason to have more pixels on a screen that size, there would be absolutely no gain in visual perception.

Hi,

Not lot of activity about EeePc in Pattaya. :o

Most sellers in Tukom only have the 4G_Surf model (black, white or color).

Do you easily find other models in Bangkok : 4G, 8G ?

Has somebody already seen 4G-X or 8G-X in Thailand ? (EeePc with native Windows XP, not Xandros).

Never seen the 8G, not sure what the pint is to sell a native XP version, it's very easy to install XP yourself (with external cd-rom).

CD with drivers for windows is included with the EEEPC, installs everything automatically!

Apart from stopping XP to use a pagefile (to free up space on the SSD) not much more can be done.

Personally I used XPlite to get rid of some unneeded stuff, but the freed up space is not that huge...

My problem is not a technical one,

but don't you know that some people have to use legal software on their computer ?

(By example a businessman traveling in lot of countries)

Buying a 4G-X is far more interesting than buying a 4G + 1 Windows XP license

(at least in Japan as I don't know for prices in Thailand)

I know that you can here find a XP cd for 100 baht,

and that your Eee seller probably would give it to you free,

but I do need a license.

Thanks

Its not the visual perception, its the ability to render web pages and other things that need that bit more width.

Needed to have a chat with you any way ben.. Will give you a bell this week.

Cool,

Its a normal 16:9 resolution, so not much different from using a typical widescreen monitor, although they are often 16:10 ?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for the 4G with webcam in Chiang Mai, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Been to Pantip, Computer City, Computer Plaza and the likes. Anyone know if it's possible to pick one up somewhere here in town?

Thanks a lot!

i got mine from 3rd floor airport plaza. next to the entrance of IT City. Hip Gadget by Chi Chang. THB12,733 VAT included.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for the 4G with webcam in Chiang Mai, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Been to Pantip, Computer City, Computer Plaza and the likes. Anyone know if it's possible to pick one up somewhere here in town?

Thanks a lot!

i got mine from 3rd floor airport plaza. next to the entrance of IT City. Hip Gadget by Chi Chang. THB12,733 VAT included.

Hi tigerbeer!

Thanks for your reply! I went to check it out, but alas, out of stock at every location. Coming in next week or the week after apparently. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
can the Hutch aircard be used with the EEE PC

Nope, no PCMCIAA slot!

You can however use any USB modem, gprs/edge or cdma. Especially if you run the eeepc with windows.

USB modems tend to be quite complicated to get installed when running linux.

i have a eee pc, and im really confused now with the edge thingie.

Ok i have a DTAC simcard. am i suppose to buy something else and call someone to use that EDGE?

i suppose i need a USB slot device, otherwise i have no idea where to slot my simcard into

someone help~!

i have a eee pc, and im really confused now with the edge thingie.

Ok i have a DTAC simcard. am i suppose to buy something else and call someone to use that EDGE?

i suppose i need a USB slot device, otherwise i have no idea where to slot my simcard into

someone help~!

Edge is an extension of GPRS which allows a cell phone to connect to the internet.

Some EeePC users use Bluetooth to connect their computer to their cell phone and

then the cell phone connects to the net.

So your phone must have GPRS or EDGE capability and Bluetooth.

And your computer must have Bluetooth.

EeePC does not have internal BT, so ou need a BT dongle ..... about 300Baht.

With that you can connect to the internet anywhere you are without using WiFi.

The most convenient is to buy a dedicated usb gprs/edge modem.

Does exactly the same as an aircard, only it connects to your computer through a USB port.

Looks like this:

segm_520_small.jpg

It is in this device you stick your sim card!

As noted before, to use the device you also need drivers and a little piece of software, most probably only available for Windows and not for Linux!

The device picutered above is the Solomon SEGM-520 Edge modem, available in most IT centers in Thailand for between 5500 and 6000 Baht.

Advantage is you can use it on simply every computer, be it a laptop or a desktop!

• 3 weeks later...

The one I bought in Thailand only has English.

Haven't really looked at the ones for sale at the moment, although I also have one bought in Taiwan, and that one has an English/Chinese keyboard.

To be honest, I prefer the English alone keyboard, as the keys are not very big, and it gets crowded with three or four symbols on a key!

• 1 month later...
looked at it again today. find the screen a little small though. nonetheless nice. just wondering if there is any laptop that comes close to this in terms of price? size definitely not possible this small without a hdd. what about something around 12" for the display and priced below 20k? anything out there ? by acer or HP or SVOA?

something cheap and practicable.

Check out this one, I was nanometers from buying one last time i was i Malaysia:

http://www.twinhead.com.my/product_detail....=268&type=1

At this price it comes with an XP-looking Linux (I only saw the chinese language version, not sure if it comes in English), but they can upgrade it to Genuine XP Home for 300 RM extra.

And easy to convert to THB, just add a zero ;-)

ohhh now its getting clearer.. 1 more qn.. the EDGE's speed is fast?

or as slow as GPRS?

EDGE is substantially faster than GPRS, at least in theory. And usually applied too.

I could stream internet radio on DTAC EDGE almost any time of the week when i was in Ko Samui. So it would work for most surfing needs.