Scam Artist On Ploenchit

camerata

There's a scam artist working the area around Ploenchit BTS station. His technique is to stand in a public phone booth holding a map and ask people for coins for the telephone. Both times I've seen him it was late on a Sunday afternoon. The first time he told me he needed to call his friends to pick him up. I had 7 baht on me and offered him the 2 baht, but he said he needed the 5 baht as well. I thought that was a bit cheeky and walked off. The second time I confronted him as soon as he asked for coins, but he denied having asked me before and claimed he'd just arrived.

This guy speaks good English with what I think is a Singaporean accent. His ethnicity is hard to guess - possibly Indonesian or some kind of look khreung because he doesn't look particularly Oriental or Occidental. His clothes are a bit scruffy, he has a high-pitched voice and timid demeanour. I don't know what his con is but I'm sure it goes further than a few baht for anyone who stops to talk or seems gullible.

Anyone else met this guy? I haven't come across any con artists since the pairs of Africans claiming they were "refugees from Rwanda" a few years ago.

That Canadian guy? He damned me for all eternity a few months back (I wrote a thread about it here) and claimed I would only have bad luck from now on, after I refused to give him money for the airport tax, which doesn't even exist anymore.

Business has been getting better ever since, maybe he casted the wrong spell on me :o

If you're wondering about scam artists, I ran into a Brit/Aussie (after many years of friends from both countries I still have trouble differentiating, sorry) about a month ago in Bangkok who was trying to give me the whole line about losing his bag and passport and he has no money, etc. He said he needed to go to the British embassy to sort things out, had just come down from Chiang Mai, and "Oh, no!" discovered the embassy was closed after 5 p.m. (imagine that) and had nowhere to stay and no money for the night. Of course I didn't help him, as there was a high likelihood he was a scammer, and his location near patpong didn't help his credibility. When I told him I wouldn't help him as I'd been scammed before he asked if I could spare just 100 baht and I couldn't, so I said so. Then he got mad and walked off. All the signs of a scamming liar. So, watch out for this one. He may be in the same area or not, I don't know. I don't have a good description except that he's probably in his 40s, average height, and short, dark hair. I remember him having dark eyes but not sure.

Now I remember , the last time I went to Bangkok ,

an English guy came to me , asking money to call to his

mother cause he went out the day before , took some girls

or whatever who hit him on the head and stole everything

he had ....

Anyway I did not believe him and then he showed the

wound on his head , which was pretty severe , gave him some money ,

which he was thankful for but asked if I had some more , which is frankly

a scammed approach again .

I thought at the time what a moron he was , gave him 500 baht cause

I had to make something up for the English , they were the only ones when I got stolen of

everything in my bungalow in the remote Gilli islands of Indonesia on one of my former

travels , so I felt pretty good about to give it to him , probably got lucky for some pints anyway

There's a scam artist working the area around Ploenchit BTS station. His technique is to stand in a public phone booth holding a map and ask people for coins for the telephone. Both times I've seen him it was late on a Sunday afternoon. The first time he told me he needed to call his friends to pick him up. I had 7 baht on me and offered him the 2 baht, but he said he needed the 5 baht as well. I thought that was a bit cheeky and walked off. The second time I confronted him as soon as he asked for coins, but he denied having asked me before and claimed he'd just arrived.

This guy speaks good English with what I think is a Singaporean accent. His ethnicity is hard to guess - possibly Indonesian or some kind of look khreung because he doesn't look particularly Oriental or Occidental. His clothes are a bit scruffy, he has a high-pitched voice and timid demeanour. I don't know what his con is but I'm sure it goes further than a few baht for anyone who stops to talk or seems gullible.

Anyone else met this guy? I haven't come across any con artists since the pairs of Africans claiming they were "refugees from Rwanda" a few years ago.

I think I have been caught out several times by somebody at a phone box holding a map or an address book asking for change. Not sure if it was the same guy, but definitely oriental looking but not Thai, based on his English accent. Anyway he seems quite happy with 10 baht so if it's a scam its a pretty unproductive one. Anyway for 10 baht I will give him the benefit of the doubt (unless I see him again of course).

I recently and rather unwittingly gave money to some deformed beggar with no legs. Seeing as its near Christmas, and i can afford spare change.

The scam artist was Cambodian-looking and probably removed his own legs just to take advantage of gullible people like me. Beware.

• 1 year later...

Incredibly, this guy is still at it. I came across him last Sunday on Ratchada, just south of the Sukhumvit intersection, where tourists come out of Asoke BTS station and head down to Benjakitti Park. Seeing him in a phone kiosk waving a wallet and banknote, asking for change, I pointed at him and (adopting my best Biblical tone) thundered: "I KNOW you!!" That pretty much shut him up, and then he no doubt watched as I warned an approaching farang couple about him.

Incredibly, this guy is still at it. I came across him last Sunday on Ratchada, just south of the Sukhumvit intersection, where tourists come out of Asoke BTS station and head down to Benjakitti Park. Seeing him in a phone kiosk waving a wallet and banknote, asking for change, I pointed at him and (adopting my best Biblical tone) thundered: "I KNOW you!!" That pretty much shut him up, and then he no doubt watched as I warned an approaching farang couple about him.

Cam I am sure your mobile has camera, why not take a photo of said individual. I can help with the captions. :)

Oh and the farang "I have no money to go home" beggar was on the BTS bridge to Central Chidlom last Friday evening. The approaching holiday season must bring these clowns out of the woodwork.

This beggar is on Utube he is Dutch and well organised, his has a visa and making around 40 k a month with begging :) .

Cam I am sure your mobile has camera, why not take a photo of said individual. I can help with the captions. :)

There is a logical explanation. It was only a couple of weeks ago that the battery in my beloved 7-year-old Nokia phone clapped out and my employer provided me with a modern model with camera. I completely forgot about it!

"I had 7 baht on me and offered him the 2 baht, but he said he needed the 5 baht as well. I thought that was a bit cheeky and walked off."

In a city of 10million+ in a 3rd world country where poverty and desperation is rife youre doing ok if youve only been scammed out of 2 baht.

I recently and rather unwittingly gave money to some deformed beggar with no legs. Seeing as its near Christmas, and i can afford spare change.

The scam artist was Cambodian-looking and probably removed his own legs just to take advantage of gullible people like me. Beware.

Cripes he sure got you by the B***ls with that one.............unbelievable I think I met his Brother at the bottom of the BTS once half his face missing looked like he had drunk petrol and then had an accident whilst smoking!! I know, stupid is as stupid does etc

What about the French lady, perhaps early to mid forties with two or three young farang children in tow.

Some years back she was often hanging around outside of Alliance Francais on South Sathorn, no hesitation to put her hand in your face and demand cash.

Haven't seen for for quite a while.

Cripes he sure got you by the B***ls with that one.............unbelievable I think I met his Brother at the bottom of the BTS once half his face missing looked like he had drunk petrol and then had an accident whilst smoking!! I know, stupid is as stupid does etc

I've seen him. Gave him 20b at On Nut once. Can't help sympathising with burn victims.

If you're wondering about scam artists, I ran into a Brit/Aussie (after many years of friends from both countries I still have trouble differentiating, sorry).

You cretin !! "Sorry" does not cut it !! May the kangaroos kick the <deleted> out of your chooks. :)

He said he needed to go to the British embassy to sort things out

Jimjim ....... there's a bit of a hint in this for you.

I know this one of old ,he has been around for years ,my friend has seen him in Phuket as well ,once saw him (on his false legs) smoking a fag and laughing with some Thai friends on the corner of sukhumvit soi 7 ,is he the one who drags himself along with fake blood on the bandages?

REMINDS ME.... years ago a good friend was walking along Silom Rd. near the Bangkok christian Hospital and came across a man wriggling along the pavement, tatty clothes and legs covered in blood and bandages.

Shocked as every one walking along the road just walkedover or around him.

David my friend then rushed into the Hospital and asked if a nurse or doctor could go out and help him. "Has he any money? " 'I doubt it " said David. "Sorry" and the receptonist walked away.

"Wonderful Hospital " thought David. Found the poor fellow and gave him 500 baht.

David then crossed Silom Rd. and sat at the Macdonalds and had lunch. Looking out the window he sees the same man wriggling along the footpath outside. '' Bugger" thought David ..... HOW DID HE CROSS 4 LANES OF HEAVY TRAFFIC!!! wriggling?

Great scam.

BAYBOY

Hes been at it at least 2 years according to you. If that would of been me I would of clapped him, seriously.

In Amsterdam I have been confronted a few times with this kind of tric by Eastern-europeans.

They display a kind of panic/urgency/big hurry to let you change some small money.

When you draw your purse -I heard- they "help" you seeking the money, covering their actions with a map or some papers and later you find out you are missing some bancnotes.

"here's a scam artist working the area around Ploenchit BTS station. His technique is to stand in a public phone booth holding a map and ask people for coins for the telephone."

Before you made it to Thailand, you'd tell someone that you met a beggar. In Thailand, the "beggar" has become an international "scam artist". Scamming people for spare change. Oh look, my eyes are rolling.

REMINDS ME.... years ago a good friend was walking along Silom Rd. near the Bangkok christian Hospital and came across a man wriggling along the pavement, tatty clothes and legs covered in blood and bandages.

Shocked as every one walking along the road just walkedover or around him.

David my friend then rushed into the Hospital and asked if a nurse or doctor could go out and help him. "Has he any money? " 'I doubt it " said David. "Sorry" and the receptonist walked away.

"Wonderful Hospital " thought David. Found the poor fellow and gave him 500 baht.

David then crossed Silom Rd. and sat at the Macdonalds and had lunch. Looking out the window he sees the same man wriggling along the footpath outside. '' Bugger" thought David ..... HOW DID HE CROSS 4 LANES OF HEAVY TRAFFIC!!! wriggling?

Great scam.

BAYBOY

Thats the one ,Bangkok ,Phuket and here in Pattaya sometimes at Thepprasit market,been at it for years.

I'm curious, does the problem of begging and low end scamming seem to be getting better or worse with time? As the country develops are there any services coming out to help support these people? Or is it getting worse as more and more tourists come to Thailand making it easier to make a living this way?

Does anyone know the beggar that looks like he's possibly had a stroke? I was in Bangkok a few weeks back, he approached me asking me for money and I refused. It's not that I never give anything, I just don't give money to every one I see. He got really nasty with me, punched me in the leg (I was sat on a bar stool) and started shouting at me and an Australian guy across the bar who'd also said no. Not seen anything like it before or since.

I'm curious, does the problem of begging and low end scamming seem to be getting better or worse with time? As the country develops are there any services coming out to help support these people? Or is it getting worse as more and more tourists come to Thailand making it easier to make a living this way?

Does anyone know the beggar that looks like he's possibly had a stroke? I was in Bangkok a few weeks back, he approached me asking me for money and I refused. It's not that I never give anything, I just don't give money to every one I see. He got really nasty with me, punched me in the leg (I was sat on a bar stool) and started shouting at me and an Australian guy across the bar who'd also said no. Not seen anything like it before or since.

There are a few of them, they can bag no problem for me, but never touch me or my children.

If he was crawl, just drop your empty beer glass next to him, he wouldt crawl there anymore. :)