Your Very First Post On Thai Visa

GuestHouse

Looking back on your very first post on TV - how does it seem now?

Were you full of the joys of having discovered TV or indeed Thailand?

Perhaps naively friendly, like a lamb to the slaughter?

Desperately seeking help, or even rescue from the mess you had gotten yourself in?

And how does that former self seem when looked back with what are presumably more experienced, if not wiser, eyes?

-------

For my part I came here to ask about, no surprises, setting up a guesthouse - Well I've not got around to that yet, but I still day dream along those lines now and a while...

Edited by GuestHouse

In the early days, I joined cos I missed Thailand, my friends, and Kan Win had repeatedly told me about this site.

So finally, when I moved away from Thailand I joined up, and in those early days spent a bit of time in the jokes forum, and the pub.

This was my first post. Got no replies.

Hi all,

This was a tad amusing.

One of those rare gems... Based on a Woody Guthrie tune, takes a few mo's to load. .

Sue me if you're american.

for your next lunch break....click to play

The presidential elections

Who'll it be, the cigar smokers or the evil empire?

Were you full of the joys of having discovered TV or indeed Thailand?

Perhaps naively friendly, like a lamb to the slaughter?

Desperately seeking help, or even rescue from the mess you had gotten yourself in?

And how does that former self seem when looked back with what are presumably more experienced, if not wiser, eyes?

-------

For my part I came here to ask about, no surprises, setting up a guesthouse - Well I've not got around to that yet, but I still day dream along those lines now and a while...

You must be (surely) semi trolling on here, no??

You have contributed much sage information, I am a lurker (or translate, I have better things to do, IMUO (In My Useless Opinion) out in the boonies near Udonthani)

While it cannot be taken as a general rule, the number of posts to the extremely small corner of the the internet that is TV, doth not a man make.

You can, and have done better, try again?? :o

Bah, I came on here all friendly and naive, posted a few stories of my experiences in Thailand..... and was promptly torn to pieces. Shocked to say the least. Now I understand that this forum attracts the worst people you could encounter online full of jealousy and pettyness. Still not sure why that is... perhaps because this country in general seems to attract the lowest form of human being, and this time I'm not even referring to the TV posters heh, just seems like lots of bad people come to Thailand and I guess it is reflected here on the forums to a lesser degree.

Damian

You have contributed much sage information, I am a lurker (or translate, I have better things to do, IMUO (In My Useless Opinion) out in the boonies near Udonthani)

While it cannot be taken as a general rule, the number of posts to the extremely small corner of the the internet that is TV, doth not a man make.

You can, and have done better, try again? :o

Perhaps you'd better stick with the lurking if you have nothing to contribute.

Now I'm back in the UK I'm not really up to speed on things Thai, so I havent got too much to say. One thing I learnt early on though was make very sure you know what you're talking about, and be able to back it up with facts/links or whatever. Too many people are very quick to shoot you down, and its too easy to get into a slanging match.

Damian, wow, I think there are alot of good people here, I signed on here several years back and never posted, I was wary after my first marriage if I ever wanted to comeback to Thailand, I finally did after 17 years and it is a great life and post now. The thing that has surprised me most are the farang woman here, they are great, enjoy their Thai partners as I do mine(she is Thai), never say bad things about Thai's because they understand them, reslient ladies.........yes Damian, a lot of jerks here, but they are not the type who will be here a long time

Edited by jEFFREYk44

put it this way - I asked the mods to delete the majority of my old patter. :D

I had to read some of it through the gaps in my fingers. cringe-tastic. :o

You can, and have done better, try again? :D

Perhaps you'd better stick with the lurking if you have nothing to contribute.

Hmm..disappointing. So you equate the number of posts on TV to discovery of the joys of Thailand, its culture and the general way of life? Seems a bit anal, but hey what do I know?

To be honest, I did see your posts (as a lurker, no doubt a lower form of life, but I really in the day have better things to do) as balanced, informative and sensible.

Now you don't live in Thailand, ok what is your view? You still would prefer your guesthouse, or you would rather post snide remarks from Europe/SA or wherever? :o

Edited by yorkman

Bah, I came on here all friendly and naive, posted a few stories of my experiences in Thailand..... and was promptly torn to pieces. Shocked to say the least. Now I understand that this forum attracts the worst people you could encounter online full of jealousy and pettyness.

If you think that Thaivisa is full of jealousy and pettiness you ought to try reading Usenet (more specifically soc.culture. thai) for a few weeks. Compared to that we are an oasis of calm and gentility :o

Guesthouse has started a perfectly reasonable thread. Let's not turn it into a schoolyard brawl.

Agreed, but I do not see what the first post on TV has to do with anything. If in the few years that TV has existed you have had a life changing experince, well that may be interesting...perhaps

I have been happily married and lived in Thailand 12 years plus. This forum has had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's infomative occasionally to be sure.

I still await the justification as to what your first post on the tiny corner of the earth that is TV has to do with anything?

Ahhhh.. I am a "newbie" on TV.. got it, not 1000's of posts......sigh

There's no justification needed. The thread is within Thaivisa rules and may interest a lot of people. If it doesn't interest you, move on.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

This forum helped me move to Thailand with visa advise as well as specific practical info about what to do to prepare to leave the United States

Yes it helped me too despite having been living in Thailand for many years at the time of my first post.

But how was your first post(s) and how do they look to you now?

Bah, I came on here all friendly and naive, posted a few stories of my experiences in Thailand..... and was promptly torn to pieces. Shocked to say the least. Now I understand that this forum attracts the worst people you could encounter online full of jealousy and pettyness...

Damian! Really! "pettyness" is spelt "pettiness".

:o:D

... how does that former self seem when looked back with what are presumably more experienced, if not wiser, eyes?

Great topic,

In the early years I had cut and pasted so many tid-bits of great info from TV on various visa issues, I had a huge FYI file going,

After a while I couldn't rely on it anymore due to frequently changing policy and regs, That's why this board is such a valuable resource, something new comes down the pike or even rumor of it, you can bet someone knows about it here.

Looking back I can see a lot was Lost in Translation, also thought I was going to be able to keep LOS all to myself, like DiCaprio in The Beach, showed up at The Full Moon only to find 10,000 already there, pretty naive.

I'll never say I'll have the LOS completely figured out, I'm more of a Ratso now, (Midnight Cowboy), ready to befriend wide eyed newbies,

... yes, it's all true my friend, get this drink and I'll tell all... :o:D

Edited by cobra

Bah, I came on here all friendly and naive, posted a few stories of my experiences in Thailand..... and was promptly torn to pieces. Shocked to say the least. Now I understand that this forum attracts the worst people you could encounter online full of jealousy and pettyness.

If you think that Thaivisa is full of jealousy and pettiness you ought to try reading Usenet (more specifically soc.culture. thai) for a few weeks. Compared to that we are an oasis of calm and gentility :o

That is for sure.

When you read soc.thai.culture, you suddenly understand the need for moderators and bannings! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I joined last year just to keep up to speed with the changes in visa regulations and just kind of got sucked in. I try and offer positive advice, based on my time in Thailand, wherever possible. However many posts are p1ss taking comments but I try and avoid outright confrontations as being a waste of people's time.

Currently I am in Viet Nam and still harbour the urge to return to Thailand and TV helps keep me in touch with things. When I finally quit this work lark Thailand is top of the list of locations for settlement but Viet Nam is coming up fast. Who knows, if I stay here, I might even see if it's worth setting up a Viet Visa website based roughly on TV. That could be a good project to while away the time avoiding that bane of retirement known as excessive drinking.

My first post I was the Lamb at the Slaughter!

I posted incorrectly on the farming forum & realized how wrong I was. I got grilled so hard that I was chagrined to the point of failing to apologize for my stupid oversight. Since then I have learned to respect the posters that really know what is going on!

On this site if you are posting points of view you best be strong enough to take a tongue lashing & eloquent in your words not to offend. & I learned if I am wrong an apology goes a long way. And most important relax- this site is not meant to raise your blood pressure more than your awareness.Those who purposely goad other posters are truly bored & I feel sorry for them.

It is a good place to be balanced. Not to be the Lamb or be hunting for one to condemn!

Beardog :o

You can find your original post by finding one of your current posts, then clicking on the username and choosing "Find Member's Posts." Mine has 323 pages! Then you go to the last page, by choosing the drop down box and putting in the number of the last page.

My first posts were in the Gay section, and I said in brackets, "[this is my virgin post on ThaiVisa! how many more virginities can a man lose?]."

My first post was regarding driving licences and using an IDP.

The response was :-

Top of the screen, 4 th button from the right - "Search". Give it a try.

An answer which I've since used myself on several occasions :o

The first post under 'chanchao' that I could find dates to 4 Jun 1997 though:

----

In article <[email protected]>,

[email protected] (Polymaj) wrote:

> Things are changing rapidly in Thailand. Girls are now very money

> oriented. Two of my friends have been ripped off by girls taking their

> billfold and leaving the room while he was still asleep. DC-10 seems to be

> good for knockout drops on their tits.

> Be careful of one called Noy. She didn't think 1000 Baht was enough for

:-))))))))))))))))))))))) That's real useful.. How many Noys do you think

there are in Thailand?

I think I know her by the way: quite short, long black hair and dark

eyes, flat nose. She's got a nice tan too.

Like... "BEWARE of an American called... John.."

> all night and threw a fit breaking the TV in the Hotel room. My friend had

> to replace the TV.

I hope he had travel insurance.

Cheers...

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

First post was the infamous and numerous, " how much money do you need to retire in Thailand". Most of the posters, including myself, can answer the question better than anybody else. I'm surprised not to have seen a recent post on this topic.

Haven't had any meaningful posts since then, but have enjoyed reading others.

My first faltering steps on TV was as an alter ego, perhaps a year or so ago. No much wisdom to save for posterity I'm afraid...

I quickly realised that if I were to benefit from the fountain of knowledge, experience, helpfulness and fun TV can be, I would need to change tactics.

And so here I am.

Now you be the judge if I am on the right track or not.

My first faltering steps on TV was as an alter ego, perhaps a year or so ago. No much wisdom to save for posterity I'm afraid...

I quickly realised that if I were to benefit from the fountain of knowledge, experience, helpfulness and fun TV can be, I would need to change tactics.

And so here I am.

Now you be the judge if I am on the right track or not.

Don't let the mods know as that is against the forum rules. :o