Pattaya On The Up

Jingthing

I hope its OK to refer to a letter from "Billy" to Pattaya Mail. He is truly a man after my own heart and sees clearly we are the midst of the emergence of a truly fabulous INTERNATIONAL CITY.

I am not Billy but I could have written this part of letter myself, word for word. I don't agree with him on his baht bus fare rant though (see the newspaper), again proof I am not Billy.

Pattaya bashers: you are passe.

(Sorry for the typo on COSMOPOLITAN)

Pattaya has to offer.

3) The emergence of a city by the sea - Pattaya used to be a sleepy fishing village and then a beach resort but it is now becoming a city. People should no longer compare Pattaya as a less attractive beach resort to Phuket or Koh Samui since neither of the latter can be classified as a city with the scale of development that is and will continue to take place here.

4) The beauty of Thai people - No change! Regardless of the developments, fundamentally, the philosophies, behaviour and mentality of Thais have not changed. They remain a very proud nation who strictly adhere to their beliefs and culture even if some of their logic escapes the rest of the world!

5) The retirement destination of choice for Europeans - This has grown exponentially especially for Scandinavians and Brits. The warm weather, the variety of beaches, world class dining choices, world class medical facilities, world class massage and spa facilities, sailing, golfing, the lack of “government controls” for smokers and drinkers, general tolerance by Thais of “exuberant” behaviour means that Westerners from cold climates have a place that they can call home without being told what to do by others.

6) The cosmopolitan melting pot of races and countries - Pattaya is more cosmopolitan than any other city in Asia! In fact I would compare its cosmopolitanism with London and New York. If one gets on a baht bus one could easily be sitting next to an American, Russian, Arab, German and Brit! During any evening in Walking Street, one will literally see people and hear languages from all over the world.

One of the great qualities of Pattaya is how people from all over the world cohabit without the same fear, hatred and violence that seems to occur on a daily basis elsewhere. Credit has to be given to the Thais for creating such an ambience and feeling of harmony and to the visitors and expats who live here!

As every year progresses, the more fun and enjoyment I get from coming to Pattaya. Her unique qualities are increasingly being appreciated by more people from more countries than ever before.

In her own time, Pattaya will become the equivalent of Miami in Asia. Her potential is huge and still scratching the surface of what she will become.

Edited by Jingthing

In her own time, Pattaya will become the equivalent of Miami in Asia. Her potential is huge and still scratching the surface of what she will become.

This is the frightening bit. In my opinion there is far too much major development taking place in Pattaya with not enough tourists to make most of it profitable.

I first toured Pattaya in 1979 and in those days I wanted it to revert back to the 'old fishing village' from whence it came. Most of the sleepy old charm that it had in those days has now gone, replaced by concrete and steel, accompanied by a lot of hustle, bustle and noise.

I still love todays' Pattaya but I much preferred the simple lifestyle of the old Pattaya.

Blame it on progress.

If you want sleepy, Thailand has sleepy, but Pattaya doesn't anymore. Might as well make it a better big city because you can't go back. Real taxi meters that actually exist and use the meter would be a start.

Edited by Jingthing

When I first visited Phuket, it was a 'sleepy' town too. There wasn't one high rise hotel at that time. Accommodation was mainly bungalows along the shoreline. No aircon, no hot water, a few shops and a few isolated bars scattered around. Walk onto the beach and you had the whole beach to yourself.

Look what progress did to Phuket. Some people like it but I will never return.

The majority of tourists already live in concrete jungles and many want a holiday location where they can escape to isolation, peace and quiet. Pattaya was once like that but now it is becoming more like what we now have in Farangland.

It seems that so many farangs want this and that to change. The demand for metered taxis is just another item on a growing list.

Pattaya is still a great place but it is fast losing the uniqueness that originally attracted me.

When I first visited Phuket, it was a 'sleepy' town too. There wasn't one high rise hotel at that time. Accommodation was mainly bungalows along the shoreline. No aircon, no hot water, a few shops and a few isolated bars scattered around. Walk onto the beach and you had the whole beach to yourself.

Look what progress did to Phuket. Some people like it but I will never return.

The majority of tourists already live in concrete jungles and many want a holiday location where they can escape to isolation, peace and quiet. Pattaya was once like that but now it is becoming more like what we now have in Farangland. It seems that so many farangs want this and that to change. The demand for metered taxis is just another item on a growing list.

Pattaya is still a great place but it is fast losing the uniqueness that originally attracted me.

The only reason I'm in Pattaya is because it is a little more like Farangland. Sleepy hollows are very easy to find in Asia.

It reminds me of a great song from the Eagles, "The Last Resort":

And you can see them there,

On Sunday morning

They stand up and sing about

what it's like up there

They call it paradise

I don't know why

You call someplace paradise,

kiss it goodbye

Shhh...next time you find some paradise, keep it quiet.

There was something pretty wonderful to ruin in Phuket. Pattaya never had world class beaches even when it was a fishing village. So it has to adjust, adapt, and compensate. Mickey, people obviously want the "non-uniqueness" Pattaya offers as it is and remains and will continue to be the most popular beach resort CITY in Asia. Paradise it most certainly is not, but whatever it is, people love it.

And be on notice, the most cosmopolitan city in Thailand (or perhaps all of Asia?) is not a bashing monkey anymore. It has a new strong identity and sense of place and it goes well beyond go go.

Edited by Jingthing

Tropo:

"The only reason I'm in Pattaya is because it is a little more like Farangland. Sleepy hollows are very easy to find in Asia." I agree 100%. I could NEVER live upcountry in Thailand. Cudos to those that can and want to. But not for me.

Jingthing:

Why this (excuse me if I call it an) obsession about trying to prove that Pattaya is such a cosmopolitan or international city (I am adding up several posts here)? I live here too, and I like it here, for my own reasons. I don't have to justify to anyone why I live here, and like it here. Hopefully I have just misread your posts, so please correct me.

You are free to label it an obsession. I agree we don't need to justify to anyone where we live. However, I think I provide a different perspective on Pattaya promotion. I don't deny the sleaze, Pattaya wouldn't be Pattaya without the sleaze (thus the moniker The Big Sleazy) but yes I want people who are Pattaya bashers to take a fresh look. You won't find the Pattaya city fathers owning up the same thing, that Pattaya can become even greater with the sleaze factor well intact.

Also, I do think Pattaya has indeed progressed to be the most cosmopolitan (different than most sophisticated) city in Thailand. I think this is still news to people outside Pattaya and I think it is great.

Edited by Jingthing

"Also, I do think Pattaya has indeed progressed to be the most cosmopolitan (different than most sophisticated) city in Thailand."

I am glad you did say that, since I think not just me but many has a tendency, rightly or wrongly, to associate cosmopolitan with sophisticated.

I must reiterate that I live in Pattaya, and both I and my g/f like it here, but sophisticated is not a description we feel is right for our city.

"Also, I do think Pattaya has indeed progressed to be the most cosmopolitan (different than most sophisticated) city in Thailand."

I am glad you did say that, since I think not just me but many has a tendency, rightly or wrongly, to associate cosmopolitan with sophisticated.

I must reiterate that I live in Pattaya, and both I and my g/f like it here, but sophisticated is not a description we feel is right for our city.

Which city in Thailand is sophisticated? I would have thought there were none...which of course could give Pattaya at least a chance of making the list.

With the amount of international resorts, shops and restaurants in Pattaya, and the shopping available I would say there is a degree of sohpistication in Pattaya compared to anywhere else in Thailand.

Tropo, it is all relative, and Pattaya is by far more sophisticated than e.g. Buriram (I have never been to Buriram, but I believe I am still right...)

Our city has "pockets" of sophistication like some high end restaurants (Mantra, Mata Hari, etc.) and some new shopping facilities. But there is not much more in terms of intellectual and arty stuff, except for the Soi 6 Library of course, a fountain of knowledge and wisdom.

Jingthing, you are right, and in a company I worked for in Indonesia long time ago we were 36 people, coming from around 30 different nationalities. That to me is cosmopolitan (but we were still not sophisticated: "Same shit, new wrapping"!)

This is the frightening bit. In my opinion there is far too much major development taking place in Pattaya with not enough tourists to make most of it profitable.

Agree. As of now, it seems like their are fewer tourists this year compared with last year. Lot's of local business owners I've talked to have confirmed this as well. Could be that the tourists have more venues to a attend to or the numbers are just down

No city in Thailand is sophisticated by international standards.

However, Pattaya and Bangkok are cosmopolitan by international standards.

That was exactly my point, but Pattaya is probably the most sophisticated city in Thailand. Thanks to the huge expat community, just about every Western commidity is available (except Grape Nuts).

Tropo, it is all relative, and Pattaya is by far more sophisticated than e.g. Buriram (I have never been to Buriram, but I believe I am still right...)

Our city has "pockets" of sophistication like some high end restaurants (Mantra, Mata Hari, etc.) and some new shopping facilities. But there is not much more in terms of intellectual and arty stuff, except for the Soi 6 Library of course, a fountain of knowledge and wisdom.

Jingthing, you are right, and in a company I worked for in Indonesia long time ago we were 36 people, coming from around 30 different nationalities. That to me is cosmopolitan (but we were still not sophisticated: "Same shit, new wrapping"!)

I think libraries will soon become museums anywhere in the world. Who goes to libraries these days?

Oh, and Indians and Iranians too, oh boy!'

Speaking of all these diverse nationalities, how come so many fly to "exotic" Thailand and then seem to mostly flock to restaurants serving their national food? I understand why long termers and expats do this, but with short term tourists I don't get it. This is great for making Pattaya even more cosmopolitan. Has anyone noticed the amazing boom in "ethnic restaurants here just in the last six months? It is truly remarkable yet the motivation is clearly the provincial limitations of many of these national groups, another wonderful paradox.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, and Indians and Iranians too, oh boy!'

Speaking of all these diverse nationalities, how come so many fly to "exotic" Thailand and then seem to mostly flock to restaurants serving their national food? I understand why long termers and expats do this, but with short term tourists I don't get it. This is great for making Pattaya even more cosmopolitan. Has anyone noticed the amazing boom in "ethnic restaurants here just in the last six months? It is truly remarkable yet the motivation is clearly the provincial limitations of many of these national groups, another wonderful paradox.

It's not that hard to understand.

The majority of tourists come to Pattaya for a cheap holiday (package deal) that's either somewhere different if they are Asian, or somewhere warm if they come form Europe or other cold climates. They're not coming here to experience Thai culture.

Then of course there's a large number of sex-tourists who don't care about Thai culture.

Then there's the small number of tourists who come to learn about Thai culture and appreciate all things Thai, but usually they would steer clear of a place like Pattaya.

...and apart from that, Thai food is not that good anyway.

Edited by tropo

and apart from that, Thai food is not that good anyway.

Ouch! Those are fighting words.

Anyway this is all good for sophisticates like me who love it all! Bring on even more provincial yahoos!

Actually, over the long term, I see more sophisticated people visiting and moving here to enjoy the cosmopolitan culture. We are in the early stages of a major boom, mark my words. Also, the huge gay population, Thai and foreign, is another strong sign of a major city on the up.

As Bangkok is sinking, Pattaya is rising from the sleaze, but not throwing the sleazy baby out with the bathwater ...

(and if you think that slogan is tacky, you understand all about my failed career as a slogan writer for the tampon industry)

Edited by Jingthing

and apart from that, Thai food is not that good anyway.

Ouch! Those are fighting words.

Anyway this is all good for sophisticates like me who love it all! Bring on even more provincial yahoos!

Actually, over the long term, I see more sophisticated people visiting and moving here to enjoy the cosmopolitan culture. We are in the early stages of a major boom, mark my words. Also, the huge gay population, Thai and foreign, is another strong sign of a major city on the up.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :o

The biggest problem I have with Thai food is consistency. You strike a great dish one day, and next day at the same place it's terrible.

I hope its OK to refer to a letter from "Billy" to Pattaya Mail. He is truly a man after my own heart and sees clearly we are the midst of the emergence of a truly fabulous INTERNATIONAL CITY.

I am not Billy but I could have written this part of letter myself, word for word. I don't agree with him on his baht bus fare rant though (see the newspaper), again proof I am not Billy.

Pattaya bashers: you are passe.

(Sorry for the typo on COSMOPOLITAN)

Pattaya has to offer.

3) The emergence of a city by the sea - Pattaya used to be a sleepy fishing village and then a beach resort but it is now becoming a city. People should no longer compare Pattaya as a less attractive beach resort to Phuket or Koh Samui since neither of the latter can be classified as a city with the scale of development that is and will continue to take place here.

4) The beauty of Thai people - No change! Regardless of the developments, fundamentally, the philosophies, behaviour and mentality of Thais have not changed. They remain a very proud nation who strictly adhere to their beliefs and culture even if some of their logic escapes the rest of the world!

5) The retirement destination of choice for Europeans - This has grown exponentially especially for Scandinavians and Brits. The warm weather, the variety of beaches, world class dining choices, world class medical facilities, world class massage and spa facilities, sailing, golfing, the lack of “government controls” for smokers and drinkers, general tolerance by Thais of “exuberant” behaviour means that Westerners from cold climates have a place that they can call home without being told what to do by others.

6) The cosmopolitan melting pot of races and countries - Pattaya is more cosmopolitan than any other city in Asia! In fact I would compare its cosmopolitanism with London and New York. If one gets on a baht bus one could easily be sitting next to an American, Russian, Arab, German and Brit! During any evening in Walking Street, one will literally see people and hear languages from all over the world.

One of the great qualities of Pattaya is how people from all over the world cohabit without the same fear, hatred and violence that seems to occur on a daily basis elsewhere. Credit has to be given to the Thais for creating such an ambience and feeling of harmony and to the visitors and expats who live here!

As every year progresses, the more fun and enjoyment I get from coming to Pattaya. Her unique qualities are increasingly being appreciated by more people from more countries than ever before.

If this is going to happen there is a lot city hall has to do. Clean up the beach's, get rid of crime, sort out the roads and corruption,

get rid of rogue developers, well we can only dream

If this is going to happen there is a lot city hall has to do. Clean up the beach's, get rid of crime, sort out the roads and corruption,

get rid of rogue developers, well we can only dream

"get rid of crime"? That will never happen. The bigger the city gets the worse crime will get...this is the natural order.

Rio de Janeiro and Miami are good examples of thriving beach cities with massive tourism along with high crime rates.

Edited by tropo

True, a certain amount of crime adds to the spice factor. You don't want too spicy (Rio was the only place I was ever mugged and to add insult to injury in broad daylight with many witnesses) but you don't want too bland either.

Kind of like stress. You really don't want no stress. That means you are dead.

Of course, a large fleet of REAL taxi meters will be a basic requirement to be a great city. Then when being chased by a mugger, you can run away in a taxicab.

Edited by Jingthing