Pig Farming In Thailand

YangYaiEric

Eric, A couple of points, for an 8-10 sow set up, IT IS viable to keep a boar. Surely, as in all areas in Issan, there will be a guy local to you who keeps boars & runs around servicing the sows in the vicinity? We have an old guy, this is his business, keeps ten boars, is never off the road & charges 500 baht per service; he's never failed us yet & keeps good quality stock.

OK, just a word of warning on this. It is viable to keep a boar, until the boar dies unexpectedly. (Speaking from experience here.) Then you kick yourself saying it would have been cheaper to rent the boar when you needed it.

If you are going to keep a boar, make sure you factor in a little every month for "boar life insurance". They do die despite your best intentions, and if you haven't planned for that, it can come as a real shock to your budget.

Actually, you really need 2 boars. One for making fattening pigs, and one for making more sows. They are different boars.

You should also grow a forage called STYLO (there are several species and varieties).

JungleBiker,

Out of morbid curiosity, what is the lysine percentage by weight for stylosanthes? I couldn't find it on the net. Not that I'm actually considering this mind you, but I still enjoy the challenge of "doing it right."

However, I fear many people underestimate the challenges integrated farming involves on a commercial scale of hundreds of pigs. I've tried this before, and I can imagine doing an integrated system for a dozen pigs or so, but doing this on a large scale? Didn't work for me. Vastly underestimated the effort.

Just keep in mind, if it was really this easy, everyone would be doing it. The fact that everyone isn't should be telling you something. I had a meeting once with Dr. Preston at CelAgrid in Cambodia, and I asked him why he didn't try to set up a commercial operation around his research. His answer boiled down to it was too labor intensive for anyone except for small scale subsitence farmers. ( I don't remember his exact answer, but that is the impression I came away with.)

I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport. I really wish the OP all the best. But this is a really difficult business filled with lots of things that can go wrong. Make sure you are prepared to lose everything before you start.

Anyone on a small scale should forget the biogas lagoon idea as a cheaper than cheap version will cost in excess of 1.5 million baht-plus to set up.

Actually, only the grid tie is expensive. A biodigester is extremely cheap, especially if you do polytube. If you can sell the power to your neighbors and forget about the Thai IPP tie up, you can easily set it up for only about 200k.

Essentially, all you need is a large polyethelene bag that you fill with manure and water (or several bags in parallel), a pipe running through a sulfur filter of iron shavings, and a generator.

The problem with the Thai IPP program is that you need alot of expensive power conditioning equipment. Sell direct in your village and biogas can be done very cheaply. And this is an expensive option. A "cheaper than cheap" option could probably be arranged for 50k or less for a small setup with a second hand generator.

Might not help the OP depending on his plans, but if all you need is to reduce your own power bill and not sell to others, biogas is very cost effective.

Eric, A couple of points, for an 8-10 sow set up, IT IS viable to keep a boar. Surely, as in all areas in Issan, there will be a guy local to you who keeps boars & runs around servicing the sows in the vicinity? We have an old guy, this is his business, keeps ten boars, is never off the road & charges 500 baht per service; he's never failed us yet & keeps good quality stock.

Select potential breeding gilts from good producing dams, good conformation, temperament & soundness being essential as is the number of teats she has ( 16 as a minimum) . We have a 300 kilo Landrace sow, produces & rears 15 piglets a pop, she has produced some super daughters. The ten year thing is a little too much to hope for, most sows start to decrese in litter size after the eighth litter or so, some sooner. Planned right, you can very nearly squeeze 3 litters per year, something like 2.7-2.8.

We have Pla Nin in the pig pond, I was advised to put in these as opposed to the Pla Duk, being told that these will better utilise the algae produced in vast quantities from the pig s**t. I am no fish expert & when these Pla Nin come out, will be trying the Duk, as was my first instinct.

If you enjoy having Pigs, go for it, at worst, you should lose nothing. I would however, exercise a little caution & try smaller numbers to start off with, feel your way forward with it. Best of luck:)

We had someone in yesterday, ordering two for a wedding in a fortnight, a villager, we did them for 42 per kilo for her, thats eight now for new year weddings.My Xmas bonus.lol..

Many thanks 'fruity' for your excellent comments and suggestions. We certainly WILL be going ahead with our plans in the very near future, despite some negative comments posted in this thread.

May I ask , are you aware of the Bokashi (EM1) method of feeding pigs. My wife is absoultely sold on this pig-feed additive. I've done some research on the Web, and it seems to be quite popular in Thailand.

Any comments?

Experience taught me a few things. One is to listen to your gut, no matter how good something sounds on paper. The second is that you're generally better off sticking with what you know. And the third is that sometimes your best investments are the ones you don't make

We certainly WILL be going ahead with our plans in the very near future, despite some negative comments posted in this thread.

//////////////////

With the overwhelming negative comments from people that are in the know, I Don't know what to say YangYaiEric ?

Will you keep us truthfully informed of your progress ?

Just thinking about it is there anybody here that has made (big money) with a pig farm in Thailand ?

Edited by undercover

Select potential breeding gilts from good producing dams, good conformation, temperament & soundness being essential as is the number of teats she has ( 16 as a minimum) . We have a 300 kilo Landrace sow, produces & rears 15 piglets a pop, she has produced some super daughters. The ten year thing is a little too much to hope for, most sows start to decrese in litter size after the eighth litter or so, some sooner. Planned right, you can very nearly squeeze 3 litters per year, something like 2.7-2.8.

We have Pla Nin in the pig pond, I was advised to put in these as opposed to the Pla Duk, being told that these will better utilise the algae produced in vast quantities from the pig s**t. I am no fish expert & when these Pla Nin come out, will be trying the Duk, as was my first instinct.

If you enjoy having Pigs, go for it, at worst, you should lose nothing. I would however, exercise a little caution & try smaller numbers to start off with, feel your way forward with it. Best of luck:)

We had someone in yesterday, ordering two for a wedding in a fortnight, a villager, we did them for 42 per kilo for her, thats eight now for new year weddings.My Xmas bonus.lol..

Many thanks 'fruity' for your excellent comments and suggestions. We certainly WILL be going ahead with our plans in the very near future, despite some negative comments posted in this thread.

May I ask , are you aware of the Bokashi (EM1) method of feeding pigs. My wife is absoultely sold on this pig-feed additive. I've done some research on the Web, and it seems to be quite popular in Thailand.

Any comments?

Hi Eric,

Yes, I am aware of the use of EMI, however, I know little about it & therefore, nothing of the benefits if any. I believe Bokashi is used in order to eliminate odours? Personally, we have little from our pigs; the secret is keeping their floors clean & giving them a shower a couple of times a day which they love.There are no smells whatsoever from the pool where waste ends up, mind you, it looks horrible being a very dark green colour all the time.

I am looking into changing my feeding regime, primarily to cut costs. The wife constantly moans about the ongoing expenditure with the pigs,only forgetting briefly when she gets the proceeds from the finished 'product'. One sure fact, Pigs 'eat money' It would be easy to get half way through rearing a batch & for someone to lose heart, seeing all this money being converted into pig s**t

In answer to Undercovers comments; I would wager there are NO people reading this forum who have or will ever make BIG money from Pigs. There are, however, plenty of people who DO make good money from them in Thailand, Thais with large farms. It is like most things, a numbers game. Assuming 300 sows are kept, producing on average 2.5 litters per year of on average 10 reared (vastly underestimated; 25 pigs reared to slaughter easily from 2 litters only) NET PROFIT per pig produced 2000 baht.

300 sows- 7,500 pigs sold - 2,000 baht NET profit per pig equals 1.5 million baht. A big underestimation here across the board. Not a fortune in some peoples books, but realistic. I wouldn't want the headaches involved at any price. There was an old saying in UK farming circles 'Pigs are either muck or money' This is a worldwide problem; historically, pig prices are either up or down & the one sure fact being nobody will ever make their fortune pig farming.

Hello.

The missus and I are planning to establish a pig farm for the purpose of selling their piglets for meat. We intend on buying 8 ten-weeks old weaners from a reputable pig farm in our area, and we have estimated that within 18 months, we'll be looking at having over 100 piglets for possible sale.

Does anyone have any experience in pig-farming in Thailand? Any tips, advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

:o You could try your hand at this mate. I looked into it a few years ago as I liked the initial prospect. My wife took me to a pig farmer that she knew and he gave me a break down of the costs and income. There is money to be made but it comes with a lot of risk. To a certain extent I am risk adverse considering the potential profit to be made.

There are a few things to consider:

1. The risk of loosing your investment due to stock theft and illness;

2. The fluctuating price of pork and piglets as a whole;

3. The changing price of already expensive feed costs

My advice would be a scrap the idea. During 2005 I met a Thai guy who was the business development manager of an export driven livestock company. His views when we discussed farming over the period of a month was that pig farming was one of the riskiest options available in Thailand. He viewed cattle farming and poultry farming as having less risk. He was not talking about small scale farming either. If you want to get a good idea of farming - try and get your wife to look out for the farming magazines available in Thailand. Its in Thai but she could translate it for you. There are excellent magazines as they give you the low down dirty news of all the potential pit falls.

Edited by aqua4

Fruity,

How do you make 2,000 baht profit per pig? Surley you must grow alot if not all of their feed to get so much from one pig. Most small time farmers would be happy to get half that but don't because of feed prices.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

In answer to Undercovers comments; I would wager there are NO people reading this forum who have or will ever make BIG money from Pigs. There are, however, plenty of people who DO make good money from them in Thailand, Thais with large farms. It is like most things, a numbers game. Assuming 300 sows are kept, producing on average 2.5 litters per year of on average 10 reared (vastly underestimated; 25 pigs reared to slaughter easily from 2 litters only) NET PROFIT per pig produced 2000 baht.

300 sows- 7,500 pigs sold - 2,000 baht NET profit per pig equals 1.5 million baht. A big underestimation here across the board. Not a fortune in some peoples books, but realistic. I wouldn't want the headaches involved at any price. There was an old saying in UK farming circles 'Pigs are either muck or money' This is a worldwide problem; historically, pig prices are either up or down & the one sure fact being nobody will ever make their fortune pig farming.

Hi 'fruity'.

Interesting comments you made to 'Undervover' about making money from pig-farming. I have done quite a lot of reasearch on this subject, and apparently, quite a number of Thias DO make a substantial amout of money from pig-farming. Of particular interest is a set-up in Ratachburi called SPM Farms. The MD of the farm uses state-of-the-art RFID tags which are attached to each piglet's ears soon after birth. These RFID tags are used to monitor the feeding regime of each pig rigght through the life-cycle of the pig.

BUT, to run such an eloborate operation, you have to have SERIOUS money to start with, somwehre in the region of 20 - 60 Mill Baht!! :o . This is WAY above the heads of the like of you and me, but its does make interesting reading though.

Cheers!

Hello.

The missus and I are planning to establish a pig farm for the purpose of selling their piglets for meat. We intend on buying 8 ten-weeks old weaners from a reputable pig farm in our area, and we have estimated that within 18 months, we'll be looking at having over 100 piglets for possible sale.

Does anyone have any experience in pig-farming in Thailand? Any tips, advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

:o You could try your hand at this mate. I looked into it a few years ago as I liked the initial prospect. My wife took me to a pig farmer that she knew and he gave me a break down of the costs and income. There is money to be made but it comes with a lot of risk. To a certain extent I am risk adverse considering the potential profit to be made.

There are a few things to consider:

1. The risk of loosing your investment due to stock theft and illness;

2. The fluctuating price of pork and piglets as a whole;

3. The changing price of already expensive feed costs

My advice would be a scrap the idea. During 2005 I met a Thai guy who was the business development manager of an export driven livestock company. His views when we discussed farming over the period of a month was that pig farming was one of the riskiest options available in Thailand. He viewed cattle farming and poultry farming as having less risk. He was not talking about small scale farming either. If you want to get a good idea of farming - try and get your wife to look out for the farming magazines available in Thailand. Its in Thai but she could translate it for you. There are excellent magazines as they give you the low down dirty news of all the potential pit falls.

Thanks for all your good advice 'aqua4'. My wife is already into scouring the Thai media for as much information as she can on the subject.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, we have had past experience (1 year) of raising wild-pigs for slaughter. This venture was stopped due to the fact that the wild-pig meat market was not as bouyant as we initially anticipated, so we ended-up selling the lot(20 in all) at a small loss .

We are not going into this new venture expecting to make a huge amount of profit. This will be only one of several businesses that we will be running. So all eggs are definitely NOT in one basket, so to speak!

Eric , I wish you all the luck in the world I really do

And I hope things turn out well , no offense meant

I hope as Undercover said … Will you keep us truthfully

informed of your progress ?.

TL

Oh , and .. Didn't they say something similar about the humble automobile 100+ years ago?

Yes they did Eric but I have a strange feeling it was not in Thailand ?

post-37178-1197881905_thumb.jpg

I hope as Undercover said … Will you keep us truthfully

informed of your progress ?.

Well, TL, all I can say is that I will do my best to keep fellow T.V members informed of my venture into pig-farming. Only time will tell if we're successful at it or not! But, its going to be 'fun' trying though :o

Cheers!

Fruity,

How do you make 2,000 baht profit per pig? Surley you must grow alot if not all of their feed to get so much from one pig. Most small time farmers would be happy to get half that but don't because of feed prices.

Chownah

Hi Chownah,

Read again:) I didn't say I MAKE 2,000 per pig. I said that a large scale operation breeding their own can do this, sadly, NOT me:) I am certain that with a few adjustments in our feeding regime, however, that I can gross 2,000 per pig reared. I plan to experiment with my next litter.

We breed our own, eliminating the piglet purchase price, the costs of breeding a litter are negligable, although, plenty of work.

Experience has taught me what has been said a thousand times; basically, there is very little money to be made rearing pigs in a small scale operation. I look on my pigs as a savings scheme; I get the money back with a little bit of interest, in the meantime I have something to do that requires burning off a little energy, plus the fact that personally I like pigs. If labour costs were figured in we'd be losing money for sure. I work for free:)

Like everything farming related throughout the world, the producer, i.e. the farmer gets the short end, basically feeding on the crumbs from the rich mans table. We sell the majority to a guy who does nothing other than sell pork, he kills everyday, sometimes as many as eight pigs; at the moment his pork is 90 baht per kilo! Of course, this doesn't work out at 100% profit, allowing for waste & labour, however, he does very nicely at the end of the day!

Eric, the farm in Ratburi is performance testing, not difficult to set up in a small way; this basically allows you to calculate the daily weight increase of the growing pigs against the amount of food intake.

Good advice re the farming magazines; look out for CITY OF LIVESTOCK & LIVESTOCK INSIDE mags. Loads of articles & photos, the emphasis on both publications being on the pig trade.

I am certain that with a few adjustments in our feeding regime, however, that I can gross 2,000 per pig reared. I plan to experiment with my next litter.

Can you give us a rough cost breakdown and expected price per kilogram of pig? What kind of experiments will you be trying?

Chownah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a follow up on pig farming and selling of the porkers. I noticed in Bangkok Post that one of the Ministers was not going to allow pork to be exported and or even moved from one provience to another. This same minister said he would have all the problems of pork price at market vs price to farmers taken care of in a couple of months. I think he also noted pork prices were to be forzen until he rights all the problems.

nothing,s changed it seems . i grew on fattening pigs, 60, a total loss. ended up killing and selling porc at the local market. the pigs i killed and sold the porc probably broke even. the rest a loss. at the moment pigs are expensive, good for the farmer. dont know the price of feed tho. so still keeping away from all farming. how are you doing eric? any feed back yet. nice to hear of one sucsess.

I have followed this ministers crazy plan for a couple of weeks now, he started by saying the retail price of pork must come down to 98 baht per kilo, now he has imposed a ban on export & inter province movements, hoping to create a glut of pork that must be sold cheaply locally.

Retail pork price, like just about everything else has increased of late, great news for pig producers, 'on the hoof' prices hitting 60 baht/kilo & piglets 2,000 baht apiece. For the first time in a long time Pig producers can make some money.

This crazy SOB wants to reduce the retail price, but what about the increased feed costs to the producer? What he will succeed in doing if he carries on is to totally destroy the Pig industry in Thailand & put many big producers out of business.

I noticed Big-C had cut the price of their pork last week to 98 baht from 130!

Just a follow up on pig farming and selling of the porkers. I noticed in Bangkok Post that one of the Ministers was not going to allow pork to be exported and or even moved from one provience to another. This same minister said he would have all the problems of pork price at market vs price to farmers taken care of in a couple of months. I think he also noted pork prices were to be forzen until he rights all the problems.

I have followed this ministers crazy plan for a couple of weeks now, he started by saying the retail price of pork must come down to 98 baht per kilo, now he has imposed a ban on export & inter province movements, hoping to create a glut of pork that must be sold cheaply locally.

Retail pork price, like just about everything else has increased of late, great news for pig producers, 'on the hoof' prices hitting 60 baht/kilo & piglets 2,000 baht apiece. For the first time in a long time Pig producers can make some money.

This crazy SOB wants to reduce the retail price, but what about the increased feed costs to the producer? What he will succeed in doing if he carries on is to totally destroy the Pig industry in Thailand & put many big producers out of business.

I noticed Big-C had cut the price of their pork last week to 98 baht from 130!

fruity, et al

What's the cost of commercial feed now for fattening pigs from 7kg to 100kg?

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan,

Centico & Lee Pattana brands seem 'best' priced, starter feed @ 21% protein 880baht / 30 kilos.

I haven't bought intermediate range feed for awhile except starter, lactating sow, now 445baht/30kg & basic adult / finishing ration (over 60kg bodyweight) which is now 400 baht /30kg.

There are going to be some experimental feeding trials done here, thats for sure:)

Ram or rice bran is in very short supply, as the large mills are now getting a better price for this as it is now going for processing into cooking oil! This ram is the base for mixing ones own feed so this is another hurdle of late. I would be interested to hear of the avaiability of ram in other areas. There are small quantities to be had from the small one man band rice mills, but nothing of significant volume.

The demand for piglets is very strong, I am currently over subscribed:) Better to sell out now as opposed to rearing as the price is so high, so apart from the three best gilts that we are retaining as potential breeders our current litter already have their bags packed:)

Rgds...Fruity

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks Fruity.

Just 18 months ago (when I last purchased pig feed), I was paying Bt423 per 30kg of 20% protein, Bt323 for 18%, Bt308 for 16%, and Bt268 for 14% (all direct from Mittraphap, inc. delivery). This cost me Bt2,221 to fatten a 4-week piglet to 100kg. Based on your sample prices, the feed cycle from 4wks to market must now be costing nearly Bt4,000 I guess. Add to that the Bt2,000 cost for piglets (I used to pay Bt1,000) and a little for electricity, drugs, and losses, Bt60/kg is necessary just to break even on a 100kg market-ready pig (ignoring labour).

Are you going to be adding lysine to your farm-made feeds?

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan,

I don't really know so much about Lysine, only the basics, but will weigh up the pro's & if any cons as & when. If the current piglet prices were to continue, I'd not bother rearing any up to market weight again, just produce piglets to sell:), however, as we both know the pig game is never stable for long, next week it could be a completely different story.

Thanks Fruity.

Just 18 months ago (when I last purchased pig feed), I was paying Bt423 per 30kg of 20% protein, Bt323 for 18%, Bt308 for 16%, and Bt268 for 14% (all direct from Mittraphap, inc. delivery). This cost me Bt2,221 to fatten a 4-week piglet to 100kg. Based on your sample prices, the feed cycle from 4wks to market must now be costing nearly Bt4,000 I guess. Add to that the Bt2,000 cost for piglets (I used to pay Bt1,000) and a little for electricity, drugs, and losses, Bt60/kg is necessary just to break even on a 100kg market-ready pig (ignoring labour).

Are you going to be adding lysine to your farm-made feeds?

Rgds

Khonwan

Ministry to act on pig price speculation to keep pork prices at reasonable level

The Commerce Ministry is planning to tackle the practice of price speculation by major pig breeders, in a bid to bring pork prices back to a normal level. Without any measures, the price of pork could soar to Bt150-Bt200 per kilogram.

Published on March 28, 2008

Commerce Minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan said yesterday that the ministry had found evidence of speculation on piglet prices.

The Internal Trade Department also reported yesterday that farmers would be allowed to increase pig prices at the farm gate by Bt3 per kilo, bringing the price to Bt63. The move aims to offset the increase in farmers' production costs to Bt56-Bt57 per kilo due to rising raw material and oil prices.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/03/28...al_30069372.php

Hi Khonwan,

Centico & Lee Pattana brands seem 'best' priced, starter feed @ 21% protein 880baht / 30 kilos.

I haven't bought intermediate range feed for awhile except starter, lactating sow, now 445baht/30kg & basic adult / finishing ration (over 60kg bodyweight) which is now 400 baht /30kg.

There are going to be some experimental feeding trials done here, thats for sure:)

Ram or rice bran is in very short supply, as the large mills are now getting a better price for this as it is now going for processing into cooking oil! This ram is the base for mixing ones own feed so this is another hurdle of late. I would be interested to hear of the avaiability of ram in other areas. There are small quantities to be had from the small one man band rice mills, but nothing of significant volume.

The demand for piglets is very strong, I am currently over subscribed:) Better to sell out now as opposed to rearing as the price is so high, so apart from the three best gilts that we are retaining as potential breeders our current litter already have their bags packed:)

Rgds...Fruity

Rgds

Khonwan

Ram is up to 6baht per kg in Sawang Daen Din now at the bigger factories but we buy all thats available from the small mills here at 5 baht .

With a protein content of reportedly 8-9 % it is close to not being viable against the 13 baht a kg we currently pay for 15.5 % protein pellets.

Just remember it is a business, and just as much so in Thailand as anywhere else, your success will be largely down to how well you understand the subject, and how well you implement your business plan.

Other than the initial capital outlay, the ongoing spreadsheet entry that is going to determine whether or not your balance sheet has a + or - on it at the end of the year is going to be feed costs - and for what it worth (just as with cattle feed - which I myself have only recently managed to get completly under control after 20 years of pushing water uphill), it is expected to contnue to rise by around another 30% over the next 18 - 24months, so top of the list of things to do will be finding a way of getting your feed costs under control.

Just remember it is a business, and just as much so in Thailand as anywhere else, your success will be largely down to how well you understand the subject, and how well you implement your business plan.

Other than the initial capital outlay, the ongoing spreadsheet entry that is going to determine whether or not your balance sheet has a + or - on it at the end of the year is going to be feed costs - and for what it worth (just as with cattle feed - which I myself have only recently managed to get completly under control after 20 years of pushing water uphill), it is expected to contnue to rise by around another 30% over the next 18 - 24months, so top of the list of things to do will be finding a way of getting your feed costs under control.

Agreed MF, its a real chore trying to minimize food costs while maintaining production, traditional protein sources like fish meal,meat and bone meal etc are not going to get cheaper so finding an alternate source of protein is top of my agenda.

We are currently in the early stage with using water lettuce which reportedly has a protein level of 40 - 46 % . Omnivorous species like Pla Nin reportedly eat it but with its rate of reproduction I dont want it taking over the ponds so we are looking at growing it away from our farm and sun drying it to add to a feed pellet. Whether it retains its protein level after sun drying we will have to wait and see what lab tests reveal.

... Whether it retains its protein level after sun drying we will have to wait and see what lab tests reveal.

I should think it would retain its protein value; grass and cassava retain theirs.

Rgds

Khonwan