Which Network For Mobile Phone?

upcountryboy

Hi All

I am going back to the U.K. for a couple of months and need some advice as to which network will work outside Thailand. My current provider is A.I.S. and my mobile is a nokia 6230 and I got no coverage when I went to Laos recently even though my network or operator selection was set to automatic. Any help would be appreciated as I want to use my phone back in the U.K. with a Thai network.

Thank you

Hi All

I am going back to the U.K. for a couple of months and need some advice as to which network will work outside Thailand. My current provider is A.I.S. and my mobile is a nokia 6230 and I got no coverage when I went to Laos recently even though my network or operator selection was set to automatic. Any help would be appreciated as I want to use my phone back in the U.K. with a Thai network.

Thank you

AIS works fine in the UK. You may need to call them and get international use turned on. I cant remeber if mine worked in Laos or not but it certainly does in Malaysia and Singapore. AIS is biggest and best (I have to say this as my gf works for them..... :o )

Hi All

Thank you

unlike the stupid DTAC, (who wants u to hold a work-permit for enabling your roaming onm a pre-paid-SIM, which is absolutely ridiculous) AIS does have a roaming almost everywhere (and yes, in Laos too).

your problem was that u have set ur operator selection to AUTOMATIC.

u should have done a MANUAL search and then try all the Operators that ur mobile found there. at least ONE would have been working on AIS.

performing a MANUAL search, I never had any problem finding a working line for AIS everywhere in south-East-Asia and the Far-East, as well as Europe.

Oh, I should add one more thing: You probably MAY have to go to an AIS-shop and ask them to open the roaming for you (calling the hotline might be another option). I dont know about how that works in 2007, as I use my AIS number since 2004, but at that time I had to ask them to enable the roaming, which was a 60-seconds affair.

Edited by siam2007

Any help would be appreciated as I want to use my phone back in the U.K. with a Thai network.

Thank you

As mentioned, you need to contact AIS/One-2-Call to turn on international roaming. Just dial 1175 from your phone to speak with a rep.

Having said that it would be better if you could describe your actual requirements and projected usage patterns. In most cases it would be advisable to source a local SIM in the UK owing to the reduced calling charges.

Example: With AIS/One-2-Call you can roam in the UK on o2, One2One, Orange, Vodafone: A call to Thailand would be 55 baht/min, an incoming call 55 baht/min and a local call 74.26 baht/min. Calling while roaming involves sending an SMS, *131*phonenumber#send, then you wait for a call-back.

One interesting solution would be to leave a voice-mail on your One-2-Call number informing callers of your UK number. Or if you have two phones just leave the One-2-Call phone on but do not answer calls or SMSes, just monitor missed calls/received SMSes and then reply on the UK-SIM equipped phone.

You can buy inexpensive, soon to expire UK SIMs on eBay, or ask someone in the UK to pick one up for you now so you know the number.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to use my phone back in the U.K. with a Thai network.

Thank you

As mentioned, you need to contact AIS/One-2-Call to turn on international roaming. Just dial 1175 from your phone to speak with a rep.

Having said that it would be better if you could describe your actual requirements and projected usage patterns. In most cases it would be advisable to source a local SIM in the UK owing to the reduced calling charges.

Example: With AIS/One-2-Call you can roam in the UK on o2, One2One, Orange, Vodafone: A call to Thailand would be 55 baht/min, an incoming call 55 baht/min and a local call 74.26 baht/min. Calling while roaming involves sending an SMS, *131*phonenumber#send, then you wait for a call-back.

One interesting solution would be to leave a voice-mail on your One-2-Call number informing callers of your UK number. Or if you have two phones just leave the One-2-Call phone on but do not answer calls or SMSes, just monitor missed calls/received SMSes and then reply on the UK-SIM equipped phone.

You can buy inexpensive, soon to expire UK SIMs on eBay, or ask someone in the UK to pick one up for you now so you know the number.

Thank you Collie, Siam and Lomatopo for your replies and advice one thing I had in mind was about the call charges and at the moment I use Thookdee.com to make international calls at 6bt per minute to a UK mobile and 2bt per min to a UK landline. I am well out of touch will UK call charges and will look at getting a UK sim card as I think my present O2 card that I got and used when last in Britain 2 years ago has probably been suspended.

Once again thanks

Hi All

Thank you

unlike the stupid DTAC, (who wants u to hold a work-permit for enabling your roaming onm a pre-paid-SIM, which is absolutely ridiculous) AIS does have a roaming almost everywhere (and yes, in Laos too).

your problem was that u have set ur operator selection to AUTOMATIC.

u should have done a MANUAL search and then try all the Operators that ur mobile found there. at least ONE would have been working on AIS.

performing a MANUAL search, I never had any problem finding a working line for AIS everywhere in south-East-Asia and the Far-East, as well as Europe.

Oh, I should add one more thing: You probably MAY have to go to an AIS-shop and ask them to open the roaming for you (calling the hotline might be another option). I dont know about how that works in 2007, as I use my AIS number since 2004, but at that time I had to ask them to enable the roaming, which was a 60-seconds affair.

absolutely true... :o

you pay them first before you use and they still want your work permit and VISA card for deposit too!!! they sould wake-up from their slumber...