Tapping Rubber Trees

thoongfoned

Go to the local Government Officer and ask for the local yields. Take the guy for lunch and he will give you all the information you will ever need. Afterwhich he will come round to give advice whenever he is in the area. Sometimes they will even give money to replace trees that have died. After all thats what they get paid to do and if you show them a bit of respect they are usually more than happy to help.

Jim

• 2 months later...
hi,

is anyone in the north east tapping trees? if so what yeilds are you getting, ie: per tree per year or per rai per year?/ what age? if per rai, how many trees?

having looked around (web/books) spoken to afew farmers the average is crazy different.

any info, cheers.

The best yield you'll get is 400ml / tree / day or approx. 1.3 kg. bfore introducing ammonia or formaldhyde (to prevent coagulation).

I've done some serious research on this in the last year or two.

NATIONAL Thai average is 288kg/rai/yr I think I got that from some Thai website.

But you have take into consideration that this average is brought down, as people are still harvesting the older para rubber plantations. And now the new hybrids RM6610 (is that number?? I know it is something like the FORD 6610??) can do alot better.

I also read a paper from the US about trying to develop different varieties in the US for US conditions. It stated that Malaysia is now averaging 480 kg/rai as compared to 1946 when they were averaging 48kg/rai

I also had some reliable Thai sources in Isarn (who are X-rubber farmers from the south and has moved north some years back), the said that they were averaging 800 kg/rai

If I was making a budget I would stick in about 450-500 kg/rai

SAP

NATIONAL Thai average is 288kg/rai/yr I think I got that from some Thai website.

But you have take into consideration that this average is brought down, as people are still harvesting the older para rubber plantations. And now the new hybrids RM6610 (is that number?? I know it is something like the FORD 6610??) can do alot better.

I also read a paper from the US about trying to develop different varieties in the US for US conditions. It stated that Malaysia is now averaging 480 kg/rai as compared to 1946 when they were averaging 48kg/rai

I also had some reliable Thai sources in Isarn (who are X-rubber farmers from the south and has moved north some years back), the said that they were averaging 800 kg/rai

SAP

The majority of rubber saplings you buy in Thailand are in fact PARA 600. The Malay figure you got sounds more like the currency Ringgit Malaysia.

I budgeted our plantations for approx. 500kg./ry/yr. @ 50 Baht a raw kilo (without preservative added). The norm would be 600kg. / yr.

I'm interested in the OP's question as to whether anyone in the Northeast has actually done any tapping and what their actual yields are.....so far no one has related any personal experiences about actual yields.....anyone have any?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

SAP

The majority of rubber saplings you buy in Thailand are in fact PARA 600. The Malay figure you got sounds more like the currency Ringgit Malaysia.

I budgeted our plantations for approx. 500kg./ry/yr. @ 50 Baht a raw kilo (without preservative added). The norm would be 600kg. / yr.

Scotbeve, please re-read my post before being critical, I did not write anything about currency baht/ringgit or dollar. The actual paper that I got it off quoted 3000 kg/ha.

I do believe the new RIM varieties are Hybrids, and can double even treble the old para variety plantations

Anyway enough of my sour grapes at least we do agree on an approx budget figure....

And Chownah

Sorry for trying to be helpful. In the furutre I will keep my fingers gloved.

SAP

Edited by SAP

SAP

Scotbeve, please re-read my post before being critical, I did not write anything about currency baht/ringgit or dollar. The actual paper that I got it off quoted 3000 kg/ha.

I do believe the new RIM varieties are Hybrids, and can double even treble the old para variety plantations

Anyway enough of my sour grapes at least we do agree on an approx budget figure....

And Chownah

SAP

I tapped a rubber tree once Phil, all I got was seeds on my head. :o

SAP

And Chownah

SAP

Hi Chownah,

I wasn't being critical in the least... Perhaps a misunderstanding is all... You wrote RM 6610. Perhaps it was only a typo. Good to hear about the new hybrids, unfortunately for myself, we've planted or plots of land with the (apparently) less yielding PARA 600 re: government venture albeit cheap due to the subsidies. Good luck with yours.

SAP

And Chownah

SAP

Hi Chownah,

I wasn't being critical in the least... Perhaps a misunderstanding is all... You wrote RM 6610. Perhaps it was only a typo. Good to hear about the new hybrids, unfortunately for myself, we've planted or plots of land with the (apparently) less yielding PARA 600 re: government venture albeit cheap due to the subsidies. Good luck with yours.

Scotbeve,

You are replying to me for things that SAP posted....I think this comment should be directed to him and not me.

Chownah

SAP

And Chownah

SAP

Hi Chownah,

Scotbeve,

You are replying to me for things that SAP posted....I think this comment should be directed to him and not me.

Chownah

Ahhh... indeed it is. Didn't follow the reply box done properly.

SAP please see 2 replies above.

scotbeve & SAP,

Let me try to resolve your confusion. SAP quoted "RM....", which led scotbeve to make the currency comment. I planted 70 rai of rubber some years ago - From memory, rubber trees here are normally prefixed by either RIM (Rubber Institute of Malaysia) or RIT (Rubber Institute of Thailand).

Rgds

Khonwan

SAP

And Chownah

SAP

Hi Chownah,

Scott, I have planted RIM600 rubber trees. I have never heard of the 6610 variety. Maybe just my ignorance.

Don`t worry about your yield, it will be fine. The government isn`t in the business of advising people to plant rubber trees with low yields.

SAP

And Chownah

SAP

Hi Chownah,

Scott, I have planted RIM600 rubber trees. I have never heard of the 6610 variety. Maybe just my ignorance.

Don`t worry about your yield, it will be fine. The government isn`t in the business of advising people to plant rubber trees with low yields.

Chang35B,

Like the beer BTW... yeah, my sister-in-law is one of the presidents of the rubber planters asoc. in Mae Ai / Fang / Chai Prakan districts and she has had all info fed to her from all the experts combined in Thailand via the MOAC. Para 600 has a better yield than the previous 500kg / ry / yr I quoted earlier but I'm sticking by that figure for my budget. One can also see the daily raw price quotes (available in every district MOAC office), that the demand for natural rubber will stay at it's present healthy level for some time to come. Just look in the change in the price over the past 2 years. Hmmmm.... price of oil. I work in the industry BTW and the oil prices are here to stay for some time. Don't expect any big drops of prices either.... Sad but true.

Now, the only problem I'll have is to get up at that god awful hour to check on the tapping from time to time!

Well I`m 3 years or so away from tapping, but the irony is that the high price of oil will keep the price of rubber up also.

BTW, the Gov. guys who came up here to advise us etc. gave my wife a phone number where she gets texts every day telling her the current daily price of RSS sheets on the market.

Well I`m 3 years or so away from tapping, but the irony is that the high price of oil will keep the price of rubber up also.

BTW, the Gov. guys who came up here to advise us etc. gave my wife a phone number where she gets texts every day telling her the current daily price of RSS sheets on the market.

Chang...Here is a website that also has the daily prices http://www.rubberthai.com/

Stoneman

Chang...Here is a website that also has the daily prices http://www.rubberthai.com/

Stoneman

Can someone explain to me the different types etc. What is unsmoked? I've seen the sheets hung up to dry. Field latex, is that as it's gathered from the cups on the trees?

Also looking at the quantity column on the price and stats page. eg Hat Yai, 140,600/2,100. What is that telling me please?

Mosha

Don't know about the Hat Yai figures, but the types or forms of rubber is fairly simple. Liquid latex. straight from the tree is mixed with amnonia to keep it liquid and sold in drums or sometimes in plastic bags to factories or middle man. Cup rubber is when the latex is allowed to dry in the taping cups and again is sold to middle men who pick it up from the tappers every few days . If you have the time and rubber you can process it further by adding a dilute acid which caues the rubber to congeal. put it through 2 metal rollers to flatten and rib it. After whish you let it dry in the sun{unsmoked rubber] Next you can smoke it in a shed thus adding another process. { ribbed smoked rubber} Afer that you are getting into large processing factories that add yet another process for shipment overseas in blocks.

I tried to attach some photos of how it's done around here. but my computer skills leaves a lot to be desired.

Jim

Thanks to all for the comments and information.

What i'm still wanting to know is....... anyone tapping trees now and if so what yeilds are they getting?? I have 60 rai in trees that are only 18months old, and i guess like the rest would like to try to estimate my returns?

once again thank you for all the information