Nakhon Foreign Community Library

nakhonsi sean

As some of you know, my wife's restaurant has a small collection of books for people to borrow. We rely on donations for our stock. However, the number of books being ''borrowed'' far exceeds the number donated! The collection is rapidly dwindling and I have moved the books upstairs until can create some book shelves and a management system.

I, like many others in Nakhon, find it hard to come by books, I rarely go out of the place and shun the tourist destinations where one can obtain English books. I have been giving the problem some thought and have an idea for a ''Foreign Language Community Library". The number of books in the restaurant at present is not great and relying only on donations will never amount to much. I feel something must be done to expand the library. Here are my thoughts.

I would like to issue a card entitling the holder to withdraw one book. A deposit of B150 would be charged, returnable on the return of the card and any book withdrawn on the card. Anyone donating 5 books would get a free card. If one did not return the card the deposit would be lost.

A charge of B15-25 would be made on each withdrawel. This would pay for the materials needed to run the system.

I would expect some to lose or keep the books they have borrowed. I would also expect there to be a profit for the library on the withdrawel charge. These profits would then be used to buy more seconhand books for the library.

With this system in place, with donations and purchases of books I think we could expect the library to grow.

Your thoughts please

Sean

When I saw your last post about supplies dwindling I did think of a book shop in Bangkok that does a 'buy back at half price' as a way to keep customers coming back, stock levels highish and still turn a profit.

I prefer your idea though. Mostly 'cos it'll be cheaper for me to get a read once in a while :-)

I've got 6 or 7 I'm done with that I'll bring when I come over. I've got another few but they're going back to the aforementioned shop to get part-chopped first :o

I won't be taking my old books back to the bookshop where I bought them from so they can make a few pennies' profit

Okay...

So you're being critical of me in a sideways fashion. I had thought about giving all the books I have to Sean, including the 1000 baht worth I can cash in at the other bookshop. I know I can find books I want there because of their wide selection, and get the idea that the current library supplies are quite low. But it's an assumption.

So I'll have a look at Sean's library and see what he's got. If he's not got much of what I read, I'll part-chop my books so I have something new to read and donate those books to the library when I'm done with them.

You had a fair point Captain, and the same did occur to me while I was writing that I could do just as you said. Though the bookshop's profit is not of interest to me, so the delivery of your point read as unfairly barbed.

As some of you know, my wife's restaurant has a small collection of books for people to borrow. We rely on donations for our stock. However, the number of books being ''borrowed'' far exceeds the number donated! The collection is rapidly dwindling and I have moved the books upstairs until can create some book shelves and a management system.

I, like many others in Nakhon, find it hard to come by books, I rarely go out of the place and shun the tourist destinations where one can obtain English books. I have been giving the problem some thought and have an idea for a ''Foreign Language Community Library". The number of books in the restaurant at present is not great and relying only on donations will never amount to much. I feel something must be done to expand the library. Here are my thoughts.

I would like to issue a card entitling the holder to withdraw one book. A deposit of B150 would be charged, returnable on the return of the card and any book withdrawn on the card. Anyone donating 5 books would get a free card. If one did not return the card the deposit would be lost.

A charge of B15-25 would be made on each withdrawel. This would pay for the materials needed to run the system.

I would expect some to lose or keep the books they have borrowed. I would also expect there to be a profit for the library on the withdrawel charge. These profits would then be used to buy more seconhand books for the library.

With this system in place, with donations and purchases of books I think we could expect the library to grow.

Your thoughts please

Sean

Sean as mentioned in the other post - I've loads of books - I'll bring by about 20 or so this weekend - good range - Dan Brown, Ken Follett, some new some old, can really manage more in one go - only got the bike and Pak Phanang quite a drive, look forward to seeing you this weeknd.

Aimee

Sean as mentioned in the other post - I've loads of books - I'll bring by about 20 or so this weekend - good range - Dan Brown, Ken Follett, some new some old, can really manage more in one go - only got the bike and Pak Phanang quite a drive, look forward to seeing you this weeknd.

Aimee

Sounds good, around after 4 on Saturday and all day Sunday.

Sean

Aimee

Sean

BTW - I've 2 large bookshelves you can have if needed - will just need for someone to collect them from Pak Phanang - see you Sunday :o

• 1 month later...

Aimee

Sean

BTW - I've 2 large bookshelves you can have if needed - will just need for someone to collect them from Pak Phanang - see you Sunday :o

Mate, when I was there I couldnt even get a <deleted> bangkok post. PM me your address and I'll ship you about 150 titles, when I next hit town - you can buy me a few beers in your place.

• 6 months later...

How is this going nowadays Sean? I noticed there were loads of people offering to make donations a few months back, so what's the score?

I've got a couple of books to return, and those exchanges I made in Bangkok are all read so they can come to you too.

You still open in the daytime just at weekends?

How is this going nowadays Sean? I noticed there were loads of people offering to make donations a few months back, so what's the score?

I've got a couple of books to return, and those exchanges I made in Bangkok are all read so they can come to you too.

Hi Mark

We had to move out of the restaurant, the owners of the building wanted to move back in! We have now moved into town and are in the process of setting up a new restaurant. Things are going slowly but progressing. We hope to do things bigger, better and more professionally than before. All the books are stored here and am hoping to expand the library when we open. We hope to open around October, much later than I had originally wanted but finances are tight. You are welcome to come by and change books, just give me a call to make sure I am in.

Cheers

Hi Mark

We had to move out of the restaurant, the owners of the building wanted to move back in! We have now moved into town and are in the process of setting up a new restaurant. Things are going slowly but progressing. We hope to do things bigger, better and more professionally than before. All the books are stored here and am hoping to expand the library when we open. We hope to open around October, much later than I had originally wanted but finances are tight. You are welcome to come by and change books, just give me a call to make sure I am in.

Cheers

smiley%20(568).gif

Just joking!! hurry up mate, we're starting to get get hungry smiley%20(447).gif