Opening A Retail Shop In Chaweng

wmk0005

I am a foreigner from America and I am going to open a retail shop in Chaweng. In the course of my research I have begun to speak with my foreign business owners out here and one of them suggested that I post my questions on here. So here it goes.

I am going to be opening up a retail shop that will deal with tobacco. I have found a way to get the tobacco here into the country and will have a license to sell imported tobacco. But what I want to know is how the cops in Chaweng treat farang owned businesses. I will not have any employees to start and I do not really speak much Thai. I know a few Thais here and am getting to know more and more farangs. But I can not say that I know anyone who has any real connections with the local police here. I have heard many horror stories of farangs opening up businesses here and they range from run-ins with the mafia to getting shut down because they could not afford to pay the bribes to the police. Just wondering if I will need to worry about that or not.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on location. I am dead set on Chaweng as I feel that opening anywhere else will simply not have the tourist traffic that I will need to make any money. I know that it is expensive and I have already began to look at some locations. One in particular that I have looked at is Khun Chaweng Shopping Center. I know that they have not been open that long, but does anyone know of anything either good or bad in relation to this property?

That is about it for now, but I encourage and would really appreciate any advice or opinions that any of you may have. Thank you very much.

By the way, I have never used a discussion forum before I hope I am doing this the right way.

if your company is 100 per cent legal then u won;t have any problems. u need a good thai lawyer. you will need to set up a company will 2 million baht share capital. u will need 7 people in that company. thai make 51 per cent u forang 49 per cent but there are ways round this. good laywer will tell u what u need. u cannot set up a business through gossip on an internet page. Not cheap not easy. u will also need a work pemit which all takes time. u have a way up the costs with the profit.

i would not say that tabbacco shop would not work. we have one in my own country with difenent styles of tobbacco. like vanilla flavour and snuff and stuff. cigars not just over the counter 7/11 stuff. i know the Isreal's like there tobbacco.

good luck.

better question would be. does anyone know a good laywer to help set up a business. pay pea nuts you get monkeys remeber that, u get what u pay for. for example there is a laywer firm in maneam that is run by an ex copper. so he can help if u have problems. can aslo help with visa for long stay

What are the chances he'll ignore the(sound) advice and go ahead with his planes anyway?

oops, that's plans NOT planes

Do any of you who have posted about what a bad idea this is own a business in Thailand or have you in the past?

WELL?

We are all wondering if your going ahead with this business or not?

I smoke Villers No 8 they are cherry flavour, but you can get them at 7/11 sometimes so maybe ill not be your best customer

but if you open ill get them from you sure.

just a quick pennies worth, if your business is going to be a success which i won't give an opinion on just a good luck, bear in mind this. If you have chosen an island which may increase in tourist numbers year on year it follows rents/leases on this island will increase in proportion as a minimun. It is therefore vital that you can either a secure a long term lease with break clauses every say 3 years and a capped rate for any service charges which may be present if you wish to set up in a mall.... thailand is very different in it's approach to such contracts if compared to europe most especially the uk, just something to consider...good luck

I import Swedich "snus" to Thailand. This product is legal around here.. But my latest shipping is now in Bangkok customs and friday i got a call from Ups asking for description of the product. I started of with tobaco but they then said that importing tobacco to Thailand is illegal!! I now sent a passport-copy and a paper where i make sure it is for privat use only.

Came to think about this thread with a Op that want to open a tobacco-shop. According to Ups importing tobacco is illegal but you can possible get away with it if it is for privat use and something that is not sold in Thailand already. I dont know if its right or not, but Ups should know what they talk about..... :o

It seems that the combination Sex and Beer is more than available in Chaweang, so it would be a 'natural' extension selling cigars.

I suspect he already has a large base in Patpong (former cigar bar) and other bar/hotel hotspots in Bangkok. Expanding to Phuket would be my first choice and Koh Samui, Hua Hin my 2nd and 3rd.

Advice from people buying their beers from 7-11 should be ignored.

It was pretty obvious from the start of thread that cigar shop is coming and permits are ok. So why not get the facts and stick to them and lets give man some advice.

If shop is built the "good old cigar shop fashion way" (darkish, lots of stuff on the walls and behind thin glassed humidors, old fun fashion posters/paintings with guys and their cigars...) and interior is inviting altogether, this kind of place could surely attract tourists and why not locals in the longer run once the prices are right (word does go around pretty quick). Cheaper selections on the counter ready to be bought fastly for the bar occasion.

When I first came to Samui you had to hunt down cigars with cats and dogs. Then shop/market next to McDonalds started finally to sell somewhat "better" selection but currently you don't want to make a ride all the way there and circle around lake to get back in to Chaweng night. (711 next to Mango road has little bigger than few in stock) Overall cigar selection has improved through out the years but for serious cigar smokers selections are poor. Chaweng surely is the right address. No need to open shop before 2 - 4PM (atleast until midnight) though since cigars are enjoyed after dinner or during night life so you cover shoppers and users.

Point is this. You feel its want you want and need to do. You have the cash to do it and can run the shop for 6 - 12 months on its knees until locals finally will know where to go when they need cigars since betting just on random tourist is pretty hard core. There's plenty of high class projects being built on this island and some owners of these villas can buy plenty of cigars for their purposes where now they import everything from Bkk of further. For developers also - All this kind of special shops improve living quality on the island. Just remembering when first McDonalds sign was placed on Chaweng or when movie theatre came to town... Its good to have it there even if you don't use it.

P.S. I buy beers from 711. Sometimes its hard to find other places open at 4 am. Oops, they are not selling outside 11pm... :o

Edited by SamuiBond

Now i founded out that the real laws for tabacco import is 200 grams. If you dont have a import-licence witch i suppose is expensive. In my lates shipping of "snus", that still is in the custums in Bangkok, i have 4.3 kg. However i came in contact with a real "handyman" in Bangkok and i got a "under the table"-offer! If i took it or not and what the offer was i am not going to describe here since it is illegal. But just to update my earlier post: it is possible to import in different ways, but the laws of Thailand is 200 gr tobacco. In what timeperiod it did not say, but no shipping can include more than 200 grams. But having a tobacco-shop you will have to put a import-licence in your budget. And you have to apply for it. Knowing the usual way around here probably money talks also in this matter and probably everybody that pays get approved.

We are all assuming what he wants to do.You know the funny thing about ass u ming?

Well he only made 7 posts, and now hes gone never to be seen again.

Maybe too much negativity on some of our parts.

I think ill make a new year Resolution not to be so negative.

I think you should too Mark Wolfe, you gave this poor guy an ear full

and now look what we have done.

Hes probably gone to Phukett where those tourists are like flies.

Now Ill have to drive there to get some decent Cigars.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone in Chaweng say if this fellow actually did open a tobacco shop?

The posts here might also interest the guy wanting information on key money.

The only things I found in common were the negativity and the same ignorance regarding the Amity laws.

the Super Saver near Mc Donalds, Tropical Murphys sells "Black Watch" 3 in a Pack, each one in an Aluminum Container lined with Cedar wood veneer...pretty good stuff from DR!

Coco Blues does have a pretty good selection...

well I haven't seen a new tobacco & cigar shop around yet...

so i believe he never opened

Joey is still sussing out the situation before making his move....

This is the part where I claim you're "spreading misinformation" and you claim ignorance.

And we're both right!! wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...