I Would Like To Take My Thai Wife To Visit Australia

I am Canadian and I have been married for a year to my Thai wife. I would like to take her along with me for a 2 weeks trip to Australia.

My wife is self-employed doing web design and I.T. consultation work. She earned around THB 300,000 in 2007 and she will be paying taxes for the first time as a self-employed individual this year. She might not be filing her taxes before March, so she won't have a tax receipt to show with her application that we intend to lodge in January.

I am not certain how to substantiate her application to demonstrate that she have ties to Thailand to return to. She does not own land nor a house. My name only appears in our house lease agreement. The only thing I can think of is a 600,000 THB loan with Toyota Financial for her car.

She is 23 years old and I am 25. I have been living in Thailand for 2 years. We do not have a joint bank account, I keep my money outside of Thailand.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Edited by kudroz

I would just like to add:

The fact that I am Canadian and she is married to me - would that change anything to her application? Should we file a joint application or something particular mentioning that she will be traveling with me? Could it be a good idea to buy the plane tickets and hotel reservation (refundable) and show them along with her/our application?

The fact that I am Canadian and she is married to me - would that change anything to her application? Should we file a joint application or something particular mentioning that she will be traveling with me? Could it be a good idea to buy the plane tickets and hotel reservation (refundable) and show them along with her/our application?

Being a Canadian should have no problems, being married will certainly assist your wife to obtain a tourist visa.

You can pick up the form 48s from VFS in Bangkok. State the dates when you plan to travel to Australia and the estimated date of departure. Do not buy your tickets until your visas are approved.

Being a Canadian citizen you are eligible for an electronic visa valid for 3 months.

Being a Canadian should have no problems, being married will certainly assist your wife to obtain a tourist visa.

You can pick up the form 48s from VFS in Bangkok. State the dates when you plan to travel to Australia and the estimated date of departure. Do not buy your tickets until your visas are approved.

Being a Canadian citizen you are eligible for an electronic visa valid for 3 months.

Actually it is an electronic travel authority, slightly different from a visa, but only slightly!!! Also it is valid for 12 months for a max stay of 3.

Now with the orginal poster, just stop and think for a moment what the visa people would be looking for. Remember being married to you, being Canadian is slightly different to being single or married to an aussie. One of her main reasons to return is the fact that you don't live in Aus. Also being married, your own finances even if it isn't in a joint name is still relivant. There is no such thing as a joint application (many on this board just don't get this simple fact). That being said your joint circumstances are relevant and if you read the 48R form you will see quite clearly where your plans together get documented.

I would say you will have few if any problems at all, provided you keep it simple and don't try too hard. (another common mistake which leads to suspicsion BTW)

Actually it is an electronic travel authority, slightly different from a visa, but only slightly!!! Also it is valid for 12 months for a max stay of 3.

Now with the orginal poster, just stop and think for a moment what the visa people would be looking for. Remember being married to you, being Canadian is slightly different to being single or married to an aussie. One of her main reasons to return is the fact that you don't live in Aus. Also being married, your own finances even if it isn't in a joint name is still relivant. There is no such thing as a joint application (many on this board just don't get this simple fact). That being said your joint circumstances are relevant and if you read the 48R form you will see quite clearly where your plans together get documented.

I would say you will have few if any problems at all, provided you keep it simple and don't try too hard. (another common mistake which leads to suspicsion BTW)

Correct, 3 months in a 12month validity period.Can not be extended. Canada is classified as a low risk country with regard to overstay, Thailand on the other hand is a high risk country. Legal marriage will make it easier for your wife,

DIAC are interested whether she can support herself while in Australia an she has a good reason to return.

You will need to obtain a return or onward ticket after you visa applications are granted.Electronic visas are not available to Thai passport holders.

CBR Lad is right...here are some tips to assist

On the form is a section that deals with financial support....she can put you in there, you will need to show proof of finances.

Write a statement explaining the circumstances along with proof of your ETA and include that in the application, Proof of marriage in English would also assist.

Chuck in a few photos of you together over a time period, wedding ones would be good also...also a photocopy of your passport would help.

I am Canadian and I have been married for a year to my Thai wife. I would like to take her along with me for a 2 weeks trip to Australia.

My wife is self-employed doing web design and I.T. consultation work. She earned around THB 300,000 in 2007 and she will be paying taxes for the first time as a self-employed individual this year. She might not be filing her taxes before March, so she won't have a tax receipt to show with her application that we intend to lodge in January.

I am not certain how to substantiate her application to demonstrate that she have ties to Thailand to return to. She does not own land nor a house. My name only appears in our house lease agreement. The only thing I can think of is a 600,000 THB loan with Toyota Financial for her car.

She is 23 years old and I am 25. I have been living in Thailand for 2 years. We do not have a joint bank account, I keep my money outside of Thailand.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi Kudroz.

I am in more or less the same predicament though with a great deal less chance of success than you. I spoke to an officer after our first knockback and she emphasised that a lot relied on what the non-Thai, says or does. We are trying to get a six month Visitor Visa, looking toward a Partner Visa later on. You could try the following:

Get a substantial person(s) to attest officially that your marraige is close and of great importance to both of you.

If you are well employed here document it and emphasise it, pointing out that you are not going to give up your good circumstances.

Volountarily write applying for your own visa to be limited to two weeks.

Emphasise ties with your wife's family and back up with photo's.

Document the continuity of your own marraige.

Photcopy your wifes balalnce sheets and get them attested.

Try to get a substantial client or two lined up waiting for your wife's return and send the letters in.

The more the merier! By the way, the girl at Pioneer who handles the visas is fast and helpful and pretty knowledgable about the process. She says most applcations arrive as a shambles, so take the extra hours and make a good presentation. Incidentaly, although I don't think it's mensioned on the Aus Imm website. Pioneer requires payment in the form of a bank draft just like the Immigration people. They are situated right opposite a major bank that issues them very speedily. I asked Immigration about any benefits from going personally to Bangkok and got the impression that the transaction is pretty much limited to the document hand-over in order to ensure fairness. A lot of people go missing on them. They have a tough job to do.

Good luck, you should be OK.

Maturin

Hi Kudroz.

I am in more or less the same predicament though with a great deal less chance of success than you. I spoke to an officer after our first knockback and she emphasised that a lot relied on what the non-Thai, says or does. We are trying to get a six month Visitor Visa, looking toward a Partner Visa later on. You could try the following:

Get a substantial person(s) to attest officially that your marraige is close and of great importance to both of you.

If you are well employed here document it and emphasise it, pointing out that you are not going to give up your good circumstances.

Try to get a substantial client or two lined up waiting for your wife's return and send the letters in.

The more the merier! By the way, the girl at Pioneer who handles the visas is fast and helpful and pretty knowledgable about the process. She says most applcations arrive as a shambles, so take the extra hours and make a good presentation. Incidentaly, although I don't think it's mensioned on the Aus Imm website. Pioneer requires payment in the form of a bank draft just like the Immigration people. They are situated right opposite a major bank that issues them very speedily. I asked Immigration about any benefits from going personally to Bangkok and got the impression that the transaction is pretty much limited to the document hand-over in order to ensure fairness. A lot of people go missing on them. They have a tough job to do.

Maturin

Thanks for your input...

I believe by Pioneer your are talking about the VFS office which is where the Thai should lodge the application....you can pay their fees in cash...have the exact amount.

Also it is unlikely the Thai would get a 6 month visa, try for a 3 month.

Edited by gburns57au

Hi Kudroz.

Maturin

Thanks for your input...

I believe by Pioneer your are talking about the VFS office which is where the Thai should lodge the application....you can pay their fees in cash...have the exact amount.

Here is an information sheet on obtaining a tourist visa 675 to Australia for a Thai citizen.

http://www.vfs-au.net/forms/Info_Sheet_5_V...lish_July06.pdf

good information on what is required.

For Thai nationals it is not an ETA it is a real visa. Mrs E2B recently got one of these which unlike the ETA I have is a real visa occupying a whole page of her Passport. She is resident in the UK with me and we submitted minimal documetnation just evidence of our marriage, a copy of my passport plus our itinerary and I think a credit card statement showing that we had available funds. The whole process was remarkably straightforward and completed in around 4 days (i.e. passport returned with visa).

For Thai nationals it is not an ETA it is a real visa. Mrs E2B recently got one of these which unlike the ETA I have is a real visa occupying a whole page of her Passport. She is resident in the UK with me and we submitted minimal documetnation just evidence of our marriage, a copy of my passport plus our itinerary and I think a credit card statement showing that we had available funds. The whole process was remarkably straightforward and completed in around 4 days (i.e. passport returned with visa).

The ETA was mentioned as the guy is a Canadian bringing his Thai lady to Oz.....Canadians can get an ETA....his partner will have to go through the relative simple and necessary process of applying for a passport visa.

This was explained to him.

Hi Kudroz.

Maturin

Thanks for your input...

Kudroz, I am in Chiang Mai and I mistakenly assumed you were. Pioneer handle the Visas in Chiang Mai. As it happens we were granted the Visa on a second try but, as Graham said, only for three months. Hope you have good luck. Maturin.

The form required is a 48R THA and consists of 18 pages in Thai and English including 5 pages of instructions in Thai.

The form is in 12 parts marked A to L. It is very detailed. You cannot pay by credit card in Thailand instructions are given in the form on payment. Visa fee is payable in THB.