Some Good & Bad Eaterys In Cambodia.

Pattayatony

In Sihanoukville:

Some bad ones: A bar & Rest opened about 2 months ago called the Finnlandier so far I have not eaten there nor am I likely to as I have now heard of three cases of food poison, so keep clear of that one.

Travellers Rest was good but changed the cook or something and now its just very greasy food and they are loosing a lot of customers.

GST: the last time I ate there it was good food at a low price.

Britannia pub & guesthouse: is good food very english with large portions.

Small Hotel & the new Small green hotel is owned by the same guy and always servers good food very clean.

The Kangaroo Kitchen: is about to open so I might do a report on that one later.

In Phnom Penh:

Kiwi Bakery: on riverside is very good.

Ja-Am: on Riverside has got good foor at low prices.

Shangi Bar: on 51 is not bad but expensive.

Dragon Guesthouse is good food at a low price.

The Bad ones:

Flamingo Hotel. Food poison is common.

Walkabout. Food Poison Guaranteed.

Now Im sure some of you can add to this list both good & bad it may help some of the expats coming here from Thailand.

siem reap..tell restaurant,best veil steaks.happy herb pizza,best pizzas in town,tara riverboat,best fish and chips ,funky munky best roast dinners,only on sunday..worst places to eat.temple bar upstairs..crap food ..le tigre de papier was good now crap

I always manage to go to a place called The Flying Elephant.... It's on the backpacker grotto of the Lake area, just across from Happy guesthouse. FAntastic kiev, they have taken it off the menu but they still make a excellent Carbonara when I ask for it.

Sihanoukville:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Finlandia - I was about to go there.

A few doors down, Pacos's has terrific Spanish food (big portions) @ okay prices.

Opposite that Ana's Internet has good basic cheap British food.

The above places are 2-300m downhill from Caltex station, which every moto guy knows. Just say 'Caltek!'

Phnom Penh (all these along the river):

Hope & Anchor a bit pricey, and a lunatic owner who (for example) screams at you if you ask the waitress if you can plug your laptop into the power. (And I was a regular customer. I wonder how he treats the new people.)

Riverside Restaurant: also a bit pricey and also a problem owner - a notorious German who paws his waitresses (who are very nice) and bowls up to you, points to a waitress (within her earshot) and asks, 'have you f____ed her yet?' I don't mind the ambience there, but I've decided I don't want to put money into the pocket of a chap like that.

FCC: best place in town (friendly service, good food, matchless view), but you pay for it.

Okay Guesthouse - basic Western grub, but quite a diverse menu & the cheapest feed in town. It is about 2 ks past the FCC (past the royal palace etc) on the right, up a soi. Most tuk tuks know it. Okay also has good rooms from $4. safe & well-run. The only downside is a TV which is on 18 hours a day, dominating the dining/social room.

One of the riverside restaurants has an orphanage out the back, and the kids come out & do traditional dance 2 nights a week for diners. It's right next door to a corner - I forget the name, but any driver will know it.

Speaking of orphanages, you can stay at Futurelight Orphanage (out near the airport) for $40 a night, eat well, & get to know lots of gorgeous kids. Plus Phaly the women who runs it is highly cultured, and (as a Khmer Rouge survivor) has quite a story to tell.

In Phnom Penh I prefer to stay away from the river, too many tourists and touts. Some other places popular with resident expats:

1. Java Cafe, 56 Sihanouk Blvd: good coffee on the balcony of a restored colonial house (they do lunches and art exhibitions as well). A short stroll from the Independence Monument.

2. Khmer Surin, No 9 Street 57: one of the longest standing restaurants in town, extensive menu of Khmer and Thai food in a restored wooden house, either sit on the floor upstairs Thai style or at tables and chairs downstairs.

3. Le Jardin, No 16, St 360: snacks and homemade icecream under outdoor shade. Has a miniature wooden play house and sandpit for children.

4. Friends, No 215 St 13 (couple of blocks off the riverfront, near the National Museum). Interesting mix of food, staff are ex street kids being taught job skills.

5. The Shop, No 39, Street 240. Yummy cakes and sandwiches, salads and drinks. Not an Asian dish in sight. For those days when I just needed something sweet, just like home.

I just found a new one in Sihanoukville >> "The Small Green Guest house Restaurant & Bar" great menu & all done by a professional Chef from Europe.

It is located behind the Caltex Service Station.

It is good to see other members Of TV putting their good & bad experience om here because they are so many ex-pats coming here now from Thailand :o & I am being contacted every day by people in Thailand wanting info about Cambodia.

Keep them coming as i am also learning about some new places.

Cheers Tony. :D

I just found a new one in Sihanoukville >> "The Small Green Guest house Restaurant & Bar" great menu & all done by a professional Chef from Europe.

It is located behind the Caltex Service Station.

It is good to see other members Of TV putting their good & bad experience om here because they are so many ex-pats coming here now from Thailand :o & I am being contacted every day by people in Thailand wanting info about Cambodia.

Keep them coming as i am also learning about some new places.

Cheers Tony. :D

I'm going to Siam Reap in early February. Any information on hotels and restauraunts would be helpful.

Thanks

Wineguy

In Phnom Penh, Riverstar Restaurant on the riverfront (Sisowath Quay) and St 118. Good pastas, chicken and pork dishes, big salads which are a meal unto themselves. The manager, Mr Sota, speaks very good English, and French, and is a very nice guy. Median prices, nice relaxing music and ambience. California 2 guesthouse also has good cheap food, cute staff, and excellent late 60's and 70's rock playing. Memphis Pub has the best, and possibly only rock band in PP 6 nights a week, and they're very good, also on St 118 at Sisowath Quay.

• 2 weeks later...

seriously guys - don't share the really good ones, thats how places end up becoming expensive, drop in personal service and quality and turn to shit.

you end up going to your favourite nice restaurant and prices have gone up and you can't even get a seat because its full of dickheads who have read somehwre its got good food and prices and now when you finally manage to get a seat you lose your appetite because all you can hear is converstations about saving the planet and feel like throwing your food at them.

Edited by stevenjm

seriously guys - don't share the really good ones, thats how places end up becoming expensive, drop in personal service and quality and turn to shit.

you end up going to your favourite nice restaurant and prices have gone up and you can't even get a seat because its full of dickheads who have read somehwre its got good food and prices and now when you finally manage to get a seat you lose your appetite because all you can hear is converstations about saving the planet and feel like throwing your food at them.

So should we not talk about these places so we can keep their prices low? Great for you, bad for the Cambodian economy. And what about these "dickheads" that are talking about "saving the world", I assume this is bad conversation? So by that rationale, conversation about destroying the world would be good conversation! I get it.

So should we not talk about these places so we can keep their prices low? Great for you, bad for the Cambodian economy. And what about these "dickheads" that are talking about "saving the world", I assume this is bad conversation? So by that rationale, conversation about destroying the world would be good conversation! I get it.

Firstly - stop dogging my posts, this is the second time. secondly - its my perogaritive to not have to eat with crowds i don;t like and my entitlement to like or dislike a certain crowd. Did i say its a bad thing you arrogant troll? I said i don't like listening to it all the time - theres a big difference.