Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

george

Just in case anyone out there thinks this is all some kind of joke that can be ignored, a quote from today's B Post:

"No alcohol will be on sale or served at any event across the country from 6pm today until midnight on Sunday as voters cast advance ballots this weekend for the general election.

Bar owners have been warned it will be enforced.

The same strict regulation will be applied next week, from 6pm on Dec 22 to midnight the next day, polling day.

The ban is to prevent canvassers entertaining voters at boozy parties before they go off to cast their votes.

Violators risk a fine of up to 10,000 baht or a maximum of six years in jail, under the election law.

Pol Gen Vichien Potphosri said full security will be in place. Advance voting is tomorrow and Sunday.

About 2.8 million people have applied to cast advance votes."

At least next week it is only from 6 p.m. on Saturday evening, not Friday, as many had thought. :o

Just as in the original ThaiVisa news item, this Bangkok Post article does not say that consumption is forbidden, only the sale or the serving of alcohol is.

One should be able to surmise that the word "violators" is referring to the bar owners, not the consumers. It's a bit like prosecute the drug dealers, not the users.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further confirmation from Phuket Gazette: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=6156

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bars must close this weekend – and the next

PHUKET: The upcoming general election will be a sobering experience for the island's party people, as a ban on alcohol sales will force bars to close for two consecutive weekends – starting at 6 pm tomorrow night.

Phuket Election Commission Director Supap Akkam this morning confirmed that the new election law prohibits alcohol sales not only on election day, but during the two-day advance voting period the week before.

As advance voting will be held this Saturday and Sunday, the ban on alcohol begins tomorrow at 6 pm. At that time, all bars and other outlets vending alcohol must cease sales until midnight on Sunday – or face arrest, he said.

All political campaigning is banned from 8 am Saturday until 6 pm on Sunday, he added.

The same ban on alcohol sales will also apply during the poll on December 23, when alcohol sales will be banned from 6 pm on Saturday, December 22 until midnight the following day.

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Paween Pongsirin told the Gazette that police will strictly enforce the ban, the purpose of which is to prevent drunken behavior that could disrupt polling or lead to violations of electoral law.

With two consecutive high-season weekends sacrificed to the cause of democracy, publicans can take some solace in the fact that all nightspots in Phuket will be allowed to remain open throughout the night on New Year's Eve.

The official closing time that night has been moved to 6 am on New Year's Day, Col Paween said.

Normal closing times will apply on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, which are not official holidays in Thailand, he said.

Again, in this Phuket Gazette article, there is no mention that consumption is forbidden. That's three articles out of three.

Thai election forces 2-weekend booze ban

post-128-1197483652.jpg

BANGKOK: -- No alcohol will be served to expats, tourists or local residents in bars and restaurants over the next two weekends nationwide due to the oncoming election.

The first dry days will be 14, 15 and 16 December, pre-election days for a few million Thais who registered to vote early.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be served nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Elections on the 23rd will mean no alcohol will be sold from 6pm on the 22nd till midnight on the 23rd of December.

Practically this means two or three dry days in the two weekends ahead, although some tourist areas tend to be lenient once it's past 7pm on election day.

Please be aware that local rules could apply. Big hotels are not likely to be affected.

--thaivisa.com 2007-12-13

I just now visited the Shangri-La hotel. The bars and restaurants in the hotel will NOT serve any alcoholic beverages starting at 6PM today. However, if you are a guest you can order it via room service as you are drinking in a non-public area. I expect all the big hotels will act the same.

The reason given to stop serving is still ludicrous, but it's to be expected from the Junta. :o

The reason given is the same reason given by every government for every dry election since I've been here.

The only thing new to all of this is the additional dry time for the pre-election absentee voting... but then this year there has been a five-fold increase in the number of voters participating... nearly 2 million, which is unprecedented... and so, not completely surprising that this would be considered a dry time as well.

Edited by sriracha john

My mate who owns a bar in Pattaya got his wife to phone the police last night, as he didn't believe the info I relayed from this thread to him. Anyway they didn't know, and called her back about an hour later to confirm that they had to close.

If the BiB don't know there's a ban on, are they really going to enforce it as strictly as has been suggested?

Anyway I had 3 days worth of beer last night, they certainly won't have lost any money from me after the amount I spent last night.

At Foxy lady here in Chiang Mai we will be open this weekend with copious ammounts of liquid refreshment.

We are closed on the 23rd though and no word yet from our people about closing this weekend.....

Sorry, I take it back. We are closed this weekend, just got the official word.

I find it absolutely absurd that a business would be informed on the afternoon of the day in question that they will need to close their doors for the next two or three days (for an event that has been on the books for how long?)

At Foxy lady here in Chiang Mai we will be open this weekend with copious ammounts of liquid refreshment.

We are closed on the 23rd though and no word yet from our people about closing this weekend.....

I find it absolutely absurd that a business would be informed on the afternoon of the day in question that they will need to close their doors for the next two or three days (for an event that has been on the books for how long?)

Shame the free advertising on thaivisa had to be recanted.

but at least the free Soi Cowboy ads a few posts up claim to still be valid.

Edited by sriracha john

but at least the Nana Plaza ads a few posts up claim to still be valid.

For now. There's still an hour or so for the powers-that-be to get the word out. :o

but at least the Nana Plaza Soi Cowboy (post quoted prior to editing for accuracy and I wouldn't want the wrong bars to reap the benefits of free ads on thaivisa)ads a few posts up claim to .

For now. There's still an hour or so for the powers-that-be to get the word out. :o

Perhaps they will have to go bar-hopping to inform them all in person... slowly...

Edited by sriracha john

:o

just remember, dumb flangs, you only represent 6% of the GDP so you dont count

the LOS couldnt care less about tourists or the image presented to foreigners

This attitude has been amply demonstrated over the past few years, so why are you surprised.

BTW the PPP seem to be well ahead, so expect some fireworks if they win convincingly. This whole coup debacle will have been for nothing in that case. :D

A big supermarket in a busy area of Phuket confirmed to me today that there will be no alcohol SOLD after 6pm today for the rest of weekend. But you all will probably have found out by now the situation in your various areas. By the way, of course you can CONSUME it if you've used forward planning and already bought it, just not in bars or restaurants. A couple of nights at home with some tinnies then ...

My good friend's birthday happens to be tomorrow. Great luck for him...

Being the nice guy that i am i raced down to the Lotad and picked up a ridiculous amount of booze at 5:45.

There was a mad dash in the booze aisle, people were literally filling shopping carts with cases of beer and whiskey, pretty funny actually.

Edited by OM3N

I gather from the BKK Post and other sources that the basic reason for the bar closures is that advance voting will be held this weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't recall any such thing in the last general election two years ago. Is this advance voting a new thing, or did they simply not bother closing the bars back then?

Either way, does it mean that for future elections we can expect the same thing, i.e. everything closed for three days the weekend before the election, as well as for two or more days during the election itself?

Just curious, I've only lived here for a little over 3 years, so I am not familiar with what happened during general elections before 2005.

WOW!! So many negative comments.

Do people need their alcohol that much?? Maybe they should see a Dr or something, if they can't miss a couple of weekends of alcohol.

OH NO - it will affect tourists - PANIC PANIC!!! Ha ha - who cares.

It is (near) Xmas - who cares.

It may stop vote buying, violence and other problems with the election - YES, please ban the crap. If it will be best for Thailand, go for it.

Id be intereted in the booze related crime figures for the 3 day ( dry ) period :o

Duhh....... It's not about having a drink or not! It's about a having a choice!

It's childish and patronizing!

Yup... totally agree above, I don't have plans to drink this weekend, but I'd like to have the choice...

i think probably less than 1 per cent of the farang in thailand qualify to vote, so why ban the other 99 per cent, isnt this a thai thing ?

I read many of you complaining about the military government, but you are unwilling to give up just a few drinks to see in a new democracy.

Some of the people I work with, during a previous coup, stood in front of soldiers. Some of their friends were shot and died in their arms. They did that for democracy in Thailand.

What do you guys do? Drink yourselves stupid. Prop up the illegal trade in humans kidnapped and smuggled in from Burma and forced to have sex 5+ times a day.

You really should have a look at yourselves. You are a disgrace. The very least you could do if you want to stay here and enjoy the Thai civilisation that they have built up is keep your mouths shut and follow some simple rules. But you are so self inflated with your own importance that you can't even manage that.

WOW - imagine that - a tourist that may not be able to drink alcohol. WOW!!! Would he be alright?? Do you think he'd survive???

This is a disaster.. Quick lets all complain and make plans to break the laws. Lets all be ignorant self interested rich westerners because we can't have some alcoholic drink. Obviously the Thai people can't run their own country - it is best if drunk Westerners do it.

Haha. Wake up.

You are missing the point!

I f the ban is enforced,it is not just a case of tourists not being able to consume alcohol.

All the entertainment and night life areas, bars with music, live shows, disco's etc. will be CLOSED.

Great for tourism, hey.

Nowhere does it say venues will be closed, everything can proceed as normal except for serving alchohol, perhaps some enterprising bar owner will concoct non-alchohol punch for his customers, I,m sure the bar-girls would feel a small sense of relief that they dont have to have a grog smelling guy puffing foul breath all over them.

Yes, but the ugly girls will still look ugly at 12 as the punters will be sober ! :o

WOW - imagine that - a tourist that may not be able to drink alcohol. WOW!!! Would he be alright?? Do you think he'd survive???

This is a disaster.. Quick lets all complain and make plans to break the laws. Lets all be ignorant self interested rich westerners because we can't have some alcoholic drink. Obviously the Thai people can't run their own country - it is best if drunk Westerners do it.

Haha. Wake up.

You are missing the point!

I f the ban is enforced,it is not just a case of tourists not being able to consume alcohol.

All the entertainment and night life areas, bars with music, live shows, disco's etc. will be CLOSED.

Great for tourism, hey.

Nowhere does it say venues will be closed, everything can proceed as normal except for serving alchohol, perhaps some enterprising bar owner will concoct non-alchohol punch for his customers, I,m sure the bar-girls would feel a small sense of relief that they dont have to have a grog smelling guy puffing foul breath all over them.

Get REAL

Are you trying to tell me that the Entertainment bars, Irish bar, etc. on walking St in Pattaya for example are going to stay open & sell orange juice!

yes. with a strange taste to it ! :o

209 replies in less than 27 hours. Priorities. This is more important to many folks than motherhood, apple pie, and Daimlers.
More than the phuket plane crash amazing, psst, i have just been reliably informed that booze is widely avaiable in walking st, im off out ! the katoeys are in with a chance ! :o

The reason given to stop serving is still ludicrous, but it's to be expected from the Junta. :o

The reason given is the same reason given by every government for every dry election since I've been here.

The only thing new to all of this is the additional dry time for the pre-election absentee voting... but then this year there has been a five-fold increase in the number of voters participating... nearly 2 million, which is unprecedented... and so, not completely surprising that this would be considered a dry time as well.

I gather from the BKK Post and other sources that the basic reason for the bar closures is that advance voting will be held this weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't recall any such thing in the last general election two years ago. Is this advance voting a new thing, or did they simply not bother closing the bars back then?

Either way, does it mean that for future elections we can expect the same thing, i.e. everything closed for three days the weekend before the election, as well as for two or more days during the election itself?

Just curious, I've only lived here for a little over 3 years, so I am not familiar with what happened during general elections before 2005.

As per above and below, it's a huge change in numbers from the previous election numbers... as for the future, I would imaging it depends on the number of people who which to vote in this manner. I would expect that once people see how much easier it is then the voting in the general election, they'll like it. So I would imagine the practice will continue for future elections, necessitating an additional dry period.

I just heard that almost 2 million people have registered to vote away form their "home". This is massively up on 2005 when it was only a few hundred thousand. Could skew a few races.
Post the story or the link if you can.

more than a 5 time increase with this election....

Big jump in registration

The registration deadline was on Thursday. Election Commission Secretary-General Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn said 1,891,715 voters had registered to vote outside their constituencies, 844,305 of them in Bangkok.

Amnat Charoen saw the fewest voters register for out-of-constituency voting, just 865.

In 2005, 348,739 voters registered, and again Bangkok saw the most at 103,229. Then, 271 people in Kalasin registered to cast ballots for other constituencies.

"The number of people voting outside their constituencies has increased more than five times. It shows more people are aware of the election and are more concerned about voting," he said.

Overseas, 78,586 people registered. The commission will send ballot papers to 88 embassies and consular offices in 65 countries.

- The Nation

The ban covers the sale and serving of alcohol.

How is this for a solution.......

Pre-pay your local for your expected consumption during the affected period. Then the alcohol you consume belongs to you, not the bar. The bar can not be accused or selling or serving alcohol because it does not belong to them.

There is no law against customers keeping alcohol which belong to them at a bar. Bottles of spirits are often paid for up front, thereby belonging to the customer, but are kept at the bar. Beer should be no different. No law against the bar keeping beer which belongs to customers cold is there ?

So long as no money exchanges hands during the banned period it would seen no law is being broken.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be SERVED nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Depends on whether there is a distinction between selling and served doesnt it.

Can a bar "serve" you something you already own ? Tricky. Maybe "self-serve" is the answer.

Isnt prostitution illegal ? :o