Love The View!

Rasseru

To the west, far off, Doi Inthanon (with Doi Suthep close at hand, of course). To the north, the mountain at Chiang Dao, whatever it is called. And to the east, not only the sharply etched range of mountains close at hand, but several other tall mountains in the distance behind. All in the light of early dawn.

It's great to be here.

Certainly is.

I've found one of the best views for taking them all in is on the road to Chae Son NP Hot Springs (east of town off road to Chiang Rai). The road climbs up to about 1600m and the view of Chiang Mai valley, Doi Suthep and Chang Dao is superb. If you do it in the morning the sun is behind and the light is amazing... at the right time of year. Views in the other direction over the ridge are also pretty sublime.

I adore mountains/hills. One of the reasons why I love living here. Highest 'mountain' in Holland is 60m asl. :o

Jack, where is Chae Son NP Hot Springs exactly? Can you give a routdescription, please?

Nienke

Shame the clear views are such a rarity that someone feels a need to make a post. Considering the amount of burning by rice farmers around the city the past couple of weeks it's amazing you can see anything. I guess meteorological conditions play a significant role in the haze we'll be getting later, not just the burning.

Shame the clear views are such a rarity that someone feels a need to make a post. Considering the amount of burning by rice farmers around the city the past couple of weeks it's amazing you can see anything. I guess meteorological conditions play a significant role in the haze we'll be getting later, not just the burning.

Hhhhmmm, don't perceived it like that. I had more the feeling that Rasseru just enjoyed the view so much, had such a good feeling about it, that he wanted to share.

Same as one can suddenly see the enormous beauty of a sunset or -rise, a bird in a tree, a flower, a far view over the rice fields or over the plains with mountians in the distance or not, or even the flat lands in Holland. The enormous good smells from flowers or the very special smells of snow, just before during or after rain, etc etc. And for me, I can watch the behavior of the dogs and cats for hours. :o

The tranquility that goes through you at the moment when you experience such a thing is something many people would like to share as it feels SO GOOD! Just enjoy the moments that are given to you!

Nienke

It is one of the truisms of life that you take the good with the bad, paying the most attention to the good if that is your nature.

It is, indeed, the very beautiful mountains OP refers to that are responsible for CM's "inversion layer" the cause of our spring time pollution. Yes smoke contributes, but it is the " inversion layer" caused by the mountains that prevents the smoke for dissipating.

I adore mountains/hills. One of the reasons why I love living here. Highest 'mountain' in Holland is 60m asl. :D

Jack, where is Chae Son NP Hot Springs exactly? Can you give a routdescription, please?

Nienke

Hi Nienke,

Sort of east/southeast of CM and northeast of Lampang.

Chae Son

The route I'm talking about goes along the Doi Saket road (118) for about 30-40kms from CM and then turns right onto the 1035 (think it is) - bottom of big dip in the 118. Go along here for about 5kms - loads of paddy fields and choice properties - then after a brief uppy-downy, take the 90-degree left up towards Baan Wang Kiam. This left turning links up with the San Khampaeng road back into CM (going right). The village is about 10-15kms on a gradual, windy climb and is a fairly drawn out place with various guesthouses up in the hills. The big one on the left is quite nice and good for a coffee.

Immediately after the village of Wang Kiam, the road climbs up at a ridiculous angle - possibly the steepest sealed road I've ever climbed, steeper than 1 in 3 in some places and it keeps going and going! The view point is near the apex of this mountain you are now climbing up, just before the ridge. Once over, the road goes back down the other side with more great views, then goes up and down a bit more and Chae Son (Jae Sawn) turning is on your left eventually after perhaps 20kms. Go down here for another couple ks. Works out about 80kms from CM and they'll have you for National Park fees even when you show your license. Rode out there couple years ago and it was superb. The spring water comes through the area and is pumped into a spa/cubicles. Various bungalows are scattered throughout the complex, which can be booked on the site, and there is also a pretty tidy waterfall here that you can climb up alongside via a walkway.

If you're driving I wouldn't brave that route unless you have a powerful motor and there is absolutely no sign of rain. Probably better to go to Lampang and then come back up the highway which is detailed on the site. There'll also no doubt be good views the Lampang way, but when I went up from CM, that particular view was awe-inspiring, taking in the whole lot + hardly any traffic. Probably best to go now before the fires and haze spoil the view. :o

Cheers

I adore mountains/hills. One of the reasons why I love living here. Highest 'mountain' in Holland is 60m asl. :D

Nienke

Hi Nienke,

Chae Son

The route I'm talking about goes along the Doi Saket road (118) for about 30-40kms from CM and then turns right onto the 1035 (think it is) - bottom of big dip in the 118. Go along here for about 5kms - loads of paddy fields and choice properties - then after a brief uppy-downy, take the 90-degree left up towards Baan Wang Kiam. This left turning links up with the San Khampaeng road back into CM (going right). The village is about 10-15kms on a gradual, windy climb and is a fairly drawn out place with various guesthouses up in the hills. The big one on the left is quite nice and good for a coffee.

Immediately after the village of Wang Kiam, the road climbs up at a ridiculous angle - possibly the steepest sealed road I've ever climbed, steeper than 1 in 3 in some places and it keeps going and going! The view point is near the apex of this mountain you are now climbing up, just before the ridge. Once over, the road goes back down the other side with more great views, then goes up and down a bit more and Chae Son (Jae Sawn) turning is on your left eventually after perhaps 20kms. Go down here for another couple ks. Works out about 80kms from CM and they'll have you for National Park fees even when you show your license. Rode out there couple years ago and it was superb. The spring water comes through the area and is pumped into a spa/cubicles. Various bungalows are scattered throughout the complex, which can be booked on the site, and there is also a pretty tidy waterfall here that you can climb up alongside via a walkway.

If you're driving I wouldn't brave that route unless you have a powerful motor and there is absolutely no sign of rain. Probably better to go to Lampang and then come back up the highway which is detailed on the site. There'll also no doubt be good views the Lampang way, but when I went up from CM, that particular view was awe-inspiring, taking in the whole lot + hardly any traffic. Probably best to go now before the fires and haze spoil the view. :o

Cheers

thanks for the tip jackr. love to keep a camera handy to take some pictures. come to think of it. chiangmai forum should have a pinned topic on photography of chiang mai. realised that there are many camera pros on this forum who can contribute. perhaps something for the moderators to think about.

Nienke, love those pink puppies in your avatar :D

TB

thanks for the tip jackr. love to keep a camera handy to take some pictures. come to think of it. chiangmai forum should have a pinned topic on photography of chiang mai. realised that there are many camera pros on this forum who can contribute. perhaps something for the moderators to think about.

Nienke, love those pink puppies in your avatar :o

TB

There was a pinned photograph thread, but the powers-that-be decided that all photos should go in the gallery instead.......

Nienke, love those pink puppies in your avatar :o

TB

There was a pinned photograph thread, but the powers-that-be decided that all photos should go in the gallery instead.......

ahhhh ok!. well would have been nice nevertheless to have them here.

TB..

Nienke

Hi Nienke,

Chae Son

Cheers

Nienke, love those pink puppies in your avatar :D

TB

No worries. Can't understand why I didn't take a camera that time but I reckon I'll pop up there again in the not-too-distant future and make an exact note of the directions/distances. May not be the 1035 south, although that one may go to Chae Son more direct...

indeed one of the steepest paved roads i ever found are in that area ,

very beautiful scenery

easiest way is from san khampaeng and follow green sign : Ban Mae Kampong Homestay

after the coffeeshop it gets realy steep

anyone else who manage to bike whole the way to the top ?

post-21441-1197633535_thumb.jpg

then further downhill to '' Jae Sorn National Park '' , see map post-21441-1197633852_thumb.jpg

To the west, far off, Doi Inthanon (with Doi Suthep close at hand, of course). To the north, the mountain at Chiang Dao, whatever it is called. And to the east, not only the sharply etched range of mountains close at hand, but several other tall mountains in the distance behind. All in the light of early dawn.

It's great to be here.

It is and I am - thanks for the positive post and forget the wet blankets.......

Shame the clear views are such a rarity that someone feels a need to make a post.

Despite the fact that Razzaroo smokes unfiltered Indonesian kreteks he does have amazing insight. However there is no way he can view Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Dao and various other bumps in the earth from the 11th floor at Rimping Condo. Perhaps he is mixing some other herbal substances with the kreteks.

PS......there'll be another carton arriving soon and if he is really nice maybe one for McSpicy.

Could be at Blinky Bill's very special, by invite only TV piss-up at Tossers, sorry Tuskers. All my friends only, I'll PM both of you. 3,000 baht on the bar from me.

Despite the fact that Razzaroo smokes unfiltered Indonesian kreteks he does have amazing insight. However there is no way he can view Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Dao and various other bumps in the earth from the 11th floor at Rimping Condo. Perhaps he is mixing some other herbal substances with the kreteks.

PS......there'll be another carton arriving soon and if he is really nice maybe one for McSpicy.

Now you've made me a might bit uneasy, Mr. Bill, and I think perhaps I will have someone more expert than I take a closer look at the next carton you kindly supply . . . I was sure I was seeing all them mountain thingies for real . . .

Could be at Blinky Bill's very special, by invite only TV piss-up at Tossers, sorry Tuskers. All my friends only, I'll PM both of you. 3,000 baht on the bar from me.

Sounds delightful. PM awaited with bated breath.

This post reminds me of how beautiful the countryside is around Chiang Mai, and what I miss most about not living there anymore. As for someone wondering why the OP needed to tell us, I wonder if this person has perhaps never seen beyond the end of the bar he is probably sitting at, and knows no better..? There is no better time of year to head out of town, and enjoy the stunning area that you live in. Enjoy, and keep posting more of the positive stuff..!

Hi Nienke,

Chae Son

If you're driving I wouldn't brave that route unless you have a powerful motor and there is absolutely no sign of rain. Probably better to go to Lampang and then come back up the highway which is detailed on the site. There'll also no doubt be good views the Lampang way, but when I went up from CM, that particular view was awe-inspiring, taking in the whole lot + hardly any traffic. Probably best to go now before the fires and haze spoil the view. :D

Cheers

Thanks Jack! Sound definitely worth to go there one or two days. The only problem I've got is my car. From the sound of your post, don't think my little car can climb that mountain. Plus, I have a hight fobia, even on steep roads. It won't be the first time that I've asked for a helicopter to come and get me :o:D

Nienke