Restaurant Recommendations

sweetchariot

Hi folks,

Can you help me with some good restaurant recommendations please.

About 12 months ago I stopped going to Western restaurants as I was invariably disappointed, and realised I could do much better food at home than most of these 'restaurants', and I do enjoy cooking (have a full euro kitchen). Therefore I am afraid my finger is a little off the pulse of the restaurant scene in Pattaya. We still go out for Thai food, but if I fancy farang food I stay at home and cook.

My problem is that my parents are arriving next week for a 3-4 week stay, and my father is allergic to all seafood, so that pretty much rules out all Thai food as they will even put nam plaa in the bloody fried rice. I will of course cook sometimes, but they are on holiday and will want to go out wining and dining, so I would be grateful if you could share some of your good experiences of western dining in Pattaya.

I don't mind going 'high end' a few times, but don't want to do that every day. I am not cheap, but feel value for money is important, and I am sure there are plenty of places that do steaks just as well as Manhattans, but don't charge 3,000 baht for the priveledge (as an example).

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Swing low.....

Edited by sweetchariot

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

Can you help me with some good restaurant recommendations please.

About 12 months ago I stopped going to Western restaurants as I was invariably disappointed, and realised I could do much better food at home than most of these 'restaurants', and I do enjoy cooking (have a full euro kitchen). Therefore I am afraid my finger is a little off the pulse of the restaurant scene in Pattaya. We still go out for Thai food, but if I fancy farang food I stay at home and cook.

My problem is that my parents are arriving next week for a 3-4 week stay, and my father is allergic to all seafood, so that pretty much rules out all Thai food as they will even put nam plaa in the bloody fried rice. I will of course cook sometimes, but they are on holiday and will want to go out wining and dining, so I would be grateful if you could share some of your good experiences of western dining in Pattaya.

I don't mind going 'high end' a few times, but don't want to do that every day. I am not cheap, but feel value for money is important, and I am sure there are plenty of places that do steaks just as well as Manhattans, but don't charge 3,000 baht for the priveledge (as an example).

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Swing low.....

Gullivers

Shinanigans

There is a good Italian place on Beach Road (big place and has outdoor dining) that does a very good steak.

Hopf (not my favorite though)

That's all I can think of now.

Cheers.

Jameson's

Steak Lao on Beach Road

I think the Italian place Hiromj is on about is beach side of the Montien? Good steak and Italian nosh.

I've seen a new Steak Lao on 3rd Road, opposite Tony's. Is this a chain, or just coincidence?

I see you have both mentioned the ubiquitous Irish bars, is the food really any good, I was under the impression it was all prepared by a microwave technician. Went to Jamesons about 1 yr ago and ordered a steak and ale pie, got a bowl of steak and tomato soup with a big pastry lid on it - it was really bad.

Edited by sweetchariot

My favorite Western food place in Pattaya is Au Bon Coin restaurant. They moved to a more inconvenient location though, on Pratunnmak Hill.

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/moving.htm

Cherry Restaurant on third road has alot of fans. It is very moderately priced. I have had only one experience there so far and found it pretty good and well worth the money, but not as good as Au Bon Coin.

My favorite Western food place in Pattaya is Au Bon Coin restaurant. They moved to a more inconvenient location though, on Pratunnmak Hill.

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/moving.htm

Cherry Restaurant on third road has alot of fans. It is very moderately priced. I have had only one experience there so far and found it pretty good and well worth the money, but not as good as Au Bon Coin.

Looks good Jingthing, do they have the menu in English as their website is mostly French, which I haven't spoken for 20 years (still remember the numbers though - weird huh)

I haven't been to the new location yet (waiting for there to be taxi meter service here) but I don't recall any problem understanding the menu. Also, the service is decent and I am sure they can help.

Haven't been there but alot of people like Mantra restaurant. A fancy, pricey place which includes Western options. You might also try the Orangerie restaurant in the new Avenue Mall. This place has the exact same menu as in Bangkok's Paragon (the concept is many restaurant kitchens on one), and includes many western options.

Looking for a fun budget option? Try Le Petite Planete on the soi next to TukCom off Pattaya Tai. They have tasty serviceable three course French set menus for about 220 baht, in a charming shophouse atmosphere with French themed painted murals. Also, they feature a special weekend special on the weekends.

Edited by Jingthing

If it's British grub - Caddy Shack has a selection of home-made pies (Steak, Chicken, Kate & Sidney, so on) and a roast lamb with yorkshire. On Sunday lunch there's also a roast beef with yorkshire, plus various other dishes such as fish & chips (not so good) and other favourites.

Soi 17, near the Eden Hotel on the way to Soi Thepprasit.

Google their web-site for more info.

Problem is - it's full of bloody golfers.

For western food - Symphony Sai 2 - between Soi 7 and 8.

- great lamb shanks - fiddly veggies has a bit of a "boil-in-the-bag" feel but by far one of the best VFM restaurants in Pattaya purporting to serve good quality food and wines.

always feel good when I've eaten there.

NB - this used to be Mata Hari but he has gone off to Jomtien and lost the plot a bit - expensive and pretentious.....the place he left behind has maintained his standards and even improved on them a bit.

Casa Pascal on Sai 2 near Ruen Thai is good too - well worth a visit.

Sea food - Walking Street is played out.....try Ban Amphoe down the coast - Preecha or Moom Aroi at Naklua or Sri Racha....the one on Sai 3 is Ok too but location not so nice.

Grand seaview Sri Racha is over the water and has good food and decor.

Issan food - Soh Larb Pbet

Try the bull's penis soup.....

How to get there......Start from the Carrefour supermarket crossroads/traffic lights on Pattaya Klang. Take the road off called "Paniad Chang" and continue along to Soi 8 on the left, follow this Soi and take the second lane on the right, the restaurant is down this rough old track (a cul-de-sac) about 30 meters on the left...there is somewhere to park.

For western food - Symphony Sai 2 - between Soi 7 and 8.

- great lamb shanks - fiddly veggies has a bit of a "boil-in-the-bag" feel but by far one of the best VFM restaurants in Pattaya purporting to serve good quality food and wines.

always feel good when I've eaten there.

NB - this used to be Mata Hari but he has gone off to Jomtien and lost the plot a bit - expensive and pretentious.....the place he left behind has maintained his standards and even improved on them a bit.

Casa Pascal on Sai 2 near Ruen Thai is good too - well worth a visit.

Sea food - Walking Street is played out.....try Ban Amphoe down the coast - Preecha or Moom Aroi at Naklua or Sri Racha....the one on Sai 3 is Ok too but location not so nice.

Grand seaview Sri Racha is over the water and has good food and decor.

How to get there......Start from the Carrefour supermarket crossroads/traffic lights on Pattaya Klang. Take the road off called "Paniad Chang" and continue along to Soi 8 on the left, follow this Soi and take the second lane on the right, the restaurant is down this rough old track (a cul-de-sac) about 30 meters on the left...there is somewhere to park.

From the CF X-roads does one go North, South, East or West?

Try this link to Pattaya People Newspaper

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=1953

They had another similar, more comprehensive one, but I just don't have the time to look any further for it right now.

I think the Italian on Beach Road is called Toscana, a good place.

When I get a bit more time, I will try to compile a really good list based on what I have learned over the years, and post it on TV, if there is any interest.

Bon appetit!

The Pattaya press does not publish proper reviews in the traditional sense. They are ADVERTISEMENTS! It is against their policy to ever publish a NEGATIVE restaurant review.

So unless you are wearing diamond-studded-rose-colored glasses, do you really think ALL the restaurants in town are top class and good value?

Edited by Jingthing

The Pattaya press does not publish proper reviews in the traditional sense. They are ADVERTISEMENTS! It is against their policy to ever publish a NEGATIVE restaurant review.

So unless you are wearing diamond-studded-rose-colored glasses, do you really think ALL the restaurants in town are top class and good value?

Yeah, I don't have much confidence in them either. Never read one even slightly critical review, and I know there are more bad than good restaurants out there.

That's why I was asking for recommendations, based on experiences.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post, I will sit down and make a list.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Looking for a fun budget option? Try Le Petite Planete on the soi next to TukCom off Pattaya Tai. They have tasty serviceable three course French set menus for about 220 baht, in a charming shophouse atmosphere with French themed painted murals. Also, they feature a special weekend special on the weekends.

TukCom runs between 2 Sois, which one is it on?

If it's British grub - Caddy Shack has a selection of home-made pies (Steak, Chicken, Kate & Sidney, so on) and a roast lamb with yorkshire. On Sunday lunch there's also a roast beef with yorkshire, plus various other dishes such as fish & chips (not so good) and other favourites.

Yeah, just around the corner from me. I buy Keith's pies at Friendship, but never eaten there. Do they cook the pies properly, in an oven, cos the pastry is what makes his pies, and to microwave them would be sacriledge.

Caddy Shack serves roast beef, lamb and chicken dinners 7 days a week from 9am until midnight...all with yorkshire puddings.

TukCom runs between 2 Sois, which one is it on?

West side.

plenty of small but nice restaurants in Jomtien;

Maggs - Theprasit Rd (all sorts on menu incl. lamb shanks, steaks, liver bacon etc)

Mignon - Thappraya Rd Opp. Jomtien Complex Condo (good steaks & wine etc.)

...and in Jomtien complex there's a boat load. Amongst them is L'olivier (350 Baht for 4 courses)

From the CF X-roads does one go North, South, East or West?

OK - Pattaya klang runs E/W, and Arunothai runs South so the only one left is Paniad Chang which runs North towards Luk Dod Shop

Caddy Shack serves roast beef, lamb and chicken dinners 7 days a week from 9am until midnight...all with yorkshire puddings.

All right if you can see through the smoke ! :o

And smokers ! i wont be eating there again :o

I find that Jamesons have great specials that are 3 courses for around 185 Baht per head from monday to friday. The drinks are a bit expensive for a lot of people but they do have happy hour from 4ish to 7ish for 85 Baht per pint. Mondays steak night is fantastic value for money!

OP was asking for Western food. For a quick lunch, S&P at Tukcom is decent and clean. Their fried pork knuckle for example is good. Also, Sizzler in RPG is a good value, with an amazing salad/soup/pasta bar you can use no matter what else you ordered. They also have picked-up the good American habit to refill your sodas-great for families.

Edited by Jale

And smokers ! i wont be eating there again :o

The raised (dining) area is 'No Smoking' but the bar area allows smoking.,

This is all one room and if there are a lot of smokers it can be off-putting. But most times I go there there are few (or no) smokers.