Restaurant Recommendations

sweetchariot

I know the OP asked for western restos, but just to be otherwise, I shall add one place we go to every now and then. It is 100% Thai, but well worth a visit. It is called "Rua Ma" (I guess it will translate to wooden boat if you get the tones and stuff right. If not, you will still be served...)

Because this is a perfect place for a western visitor to sample some Thai food that is not spicy hot (unless you want it to be), and you can easily avoid the seafood if you like.

It is located right on Sukhumvit road, on the left side going south. Go past the Thepprasit intersection and a bit past True Value. Park at the side of the road outside the furniture shop as soon as you see the sign for the resto, since it does not have a lot of parking space, and it is very popular. I would recommend to get a table as far from the road as possible, due to dust and noise.

I always have a clear yellow noodle soup with pork, today we also added a red beef curry with rice, and some succulent roast pork. Service is super quick, and the tab is VERY reasonnable. And the food yummy!

Bon appetit!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

Can you help me with some good restaurant recommendations please.

About 12 months ago I stopped going to Western restaurants as I was invariably disappointed, and realised I could do much better food at home than most of these 'restaurants', and I do enjoy cooking (have a full euro kitchen). Therefore I am afraid my finger is a little off the pulse of the restaurant scene in Pattaya. We still go out for Thai food, but if I fancy farang food I stay at home and cook.

My problem is that my parents are arriving next week for a 3-4 week stay, and my father is allergic to all seafood, so that pretty much rules out all Thai food as they will even put nam plaa in the bloody fried rice. I will of course cook sometimes, but they are on holiday and will want to go out wining and dining, so I would be grateful if you could share some of your good experiences of western dining in Pattaya.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Swing low.....

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and Pizza Company will fill the bill too!

I know the OP asked for western restos, but just to be otherwise, I shall add one place we go to every now and then. It is 100% Thai, but well worth a visit. It is called "Rua Ma" (I guess it will translate to wooden boat if you get the tones and stuff right. If not, you will still be served...)

Because this is a perfect place for a western visitor to sample some Thai food that is not spicy hot (unless you want it to be), and you can easily avoid the seafood if you like.

It is located right on Sukhumvit road, on the left side going south. Go past the Thepprasit intersection and a bit past True Value. Park at the side of the road outside the furniture shop as soon as you see the sign for the resto, since it does not have a lot of parking space, and it is very popular. I would recommend to get a table as far from the road as possible, due to dust and noise.

I always have a clear yellow noodle soup with pork, today we also added a red beef curry with rice, and some succulent roast pork. Service is super quick, and the tab is VERY reasonnable. And the food yummy!

Bon appetit!

Have to agree on the noise and the dirt ! Shame really.

Foods good but not somewhere you can really relax in a romantic environment. :o

Bon appetit!

Thanks, but the problem I have is they put nam plaa in pretty much everything.

Even if I ask for mai nam plaa, it will still be cooked in the same pan as the last dish, and he is far too sensitive to any hint of seafood (sick as a dog for days), so sadly I feel that I have to avoid all Thai food for my father's sake, unless anyone can advise me differently.

Crazy Dave's: Been there - done that - never again!

Had the cottage pie and mashed potatoes. It would have to improve to be called just ok. Cottage pie was nearly tasteless and the potatoes were dry and crusty. Yuch! Lots of ketchup helped to give it some flavor. I give them zero stars.

I guess I should not expect much from a restaurant that exploits drunks in their tv commercials. What does a drunk know about taste in food? It is a little hole in the wall bar that serves something inexpensive, that resembles food.

Yes their cottage pie is made with baked mashed potatoes. Excuse me for not meeting your exacting standards for English. The point was Crazy Dave's food sucks even though it probably meets your demanding taste requirements. English food sucks! Cholesterol on a plate! Enjoy your clogged arteries.

How can anyone that likes English food claim to know anything about good food?

Edited by aguy30

Yes mashed potatoes comes with cottage pie. Excuse me for not meeting your exacting standards for English. The point was Crazy Dave's food sucks even though it probably meets your taste requirements. English food sucks! Cholesterol on a plate!

I was joking, and thankyou for your input, but why react like this?

You are obviously not English, mashed potato is part of cottage pie, I thought you had a side of mashed potato which is why I was surprised.

I have seen the ads, and would imagine that at their prices the food is nothing like English.

Try a nice English style restaurant as mentioned previously on this thread, and you may change your opinion of English food.

Yes their cottage pie is made with baked mashed potatoes. Excuse me for not meeting your exacting standards for English. The point was Crazy Dave's food sucks even though it probably meets your demanding taste requirements. English food sucks! Cholesterol on a plate! Enjoy your clogged arteries.

How can anyone that likes English food claim to know anything about good food?

Oooh, editing whilst I'm typing - naughty.

You will find that England is now regarded by many as the culinary epicentre of the world. There are too many fantastic restaurants to start listing here, but why do you think the majority of internationally renowned chefs either work there, or want to work there.

English food, per se, I will grant you is not that good. Many of the staple dishes were concocted during the war when supplies were scarce, and cholesterol was considered an island in the South Pacific.

If you can see past the fish and chips, pie and mash, cottage pie etc., then you will find some fantastic food in England. The point of this thread is that I cannot find it here, and asked for some recommendations.........do you have any?

My apolgies for my over reaction.

The few experience I have had with most English food has been disappointing. By the way, I really like a good cottage pie.

I don't often eat at Burger King, but I would go there for a Whopper before going back to Crazy Dave's. At least it is tasty cholesterol.

I consider tradtional English food in the class of comfort food and there is nothing wrong with that. Americans have their own version of that, for example Chicken Pot Pie, Mac and Cheese, Southern Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes ... getting hungry now.

Bruno's isn't too pricey if you stay away from the wine list and has the best service in town IMHO

Matahari is another

The Italian on Beach road before the pattaya klang turning has great food although the service can be cr$p sometimes

Shenanigans is OK for 'pub' stlye stuff and the daily are good value

Cherry on 3rd road is not bad either for the money

The indian over the road from X-cite is great IMHO for Thailand

Looking for a fun budget option? Try Le Petite Planete on the soi next to TukCom off Pattaya Tai. They have tasty serviceable three course French set menus for about 220 baht, in a charming shophouse atmosphere with French themed painted murals. Also, they feature a special weekend special on the weekends.

TukCom runs between 2 Sois, which one is it on?

i have just been there for lunch, its on the soi on the sea side and it was very nice too.

for just 210 baht, i had a very tasty tomato soup with crisp french bread, goulash with mash with veg, raspberry pie and ice cream for afters i enjoyed good service in a nice atmosphere and in my view its highly recommended!

i would recomend the Butchers Arms on Soi Bukaou, Barry the governor was a wholesale butcher in Uk so he knows his meat. the food is good quality with big portions and for my money the best big fat chips in town. the pubs not bad either, nice atmosphere with good selection of british grog on tap.

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and Pizza Company will fill the bill too!

Thanks, but they are not obese yanks with no tastebuds.

How about obese Brits with no tastebuds? I have met far more Brits with no clue about good food than "yanks".

I am not denying that there are a few excellent restauraunts in London that 99.9% of the population could never afford to try, but the same type of places are fairly common in the United States and are priced so that most people can go on a regular basis and appreciate fine cuisine. :o

If it's British grub - Caddy Shack has a selection of home-made pies (Steak, Chicken, Kate & Sidney, so on) and a roast lamb with yorkshire. On Sunday lunch there's also a roast beef with yorkshire, plus various other dishes such as fish & chips (not so good) and other favourites.

Soi 17, near the Eden Hotel on the way to Soi Thepprasit.

Google their web-site for more info.

Problem is - it's full of bloody golfers.

And smokers ! i wont be eating there again :o

I agree and it's a shame because their food is some of the best around. The top part is now no smoking but the bottom half of the restaurant is all smoking and of course it creeps up there as well. They really need a glass screen or something to separate the two areas.

Tried Bruno's with a group of 6 first timers.

Mutual opinions:

nice decor

good service

food appearance was good

taste was ok but not exceptional

portion size was rather small

rather expensive

forget the wine list

no real incentive to return to Bruno's

Looking for a fun budget option? Try Le Petite Planete on the soi next to TukCom off Pattaya Tai. They have tasty serviceable three course French set menus for about 220 baht, in a charming shophouse atmosphere with French themed painted murals. Also, they feature a special weekend special on the weekends.

TukCom runs between 2 Sois, which one is it on?

i have just been there for lunch, its on the soi on the sea side and it was very nice too.

for just 210 baht, i had a very tasty tomato soup with crisp french bread, goulash with mash with veg, raspberry pie and ice cream for afters i enjoyed good service in a nice atmosphere and in my view its highly recommended!

Glad you enjoyed it. And remember they always have something extra special on offer on weekend nights in the 300 baht range.

Le Petite Planete doesn't have the best food in town, but I do think it is definitely one of the best values in town for Western food. Good places deserve our praise AND our business. Bon Appeitit.

Hi folks,

Can you help me with some good restaurant recommendations please.

About 12 months ago I stopped going to Western restaurants as I was invariably disappointed, and realised I could do much better food at home than most of these 'restaurants', and I do enjoy cooking (have a full euro kitchen). Therefore I am afraid my finger is a little off the pulse of the restaurant scene in Pattaya. We still go out for Thai food, but if I fancy farang food I stay at home and cook.

My problem is that my parents are arriving next week for a 3-4 week stay, and my father is allergic to all seafood, so that pretty much rules out all Thai food as they will even put nam plaa in the bloody fried rice. I will of course cook sometimes, but they are on holiday and will want to go out wining and dining, so I would be grateful if you could share some of your good experiences of western dining in Pattaya.

I don't mind going 'high end' a few times, but don't want to do that every day. I am not cheap, but feel value for money is important, and I am sure there are plenty of places that do steaks just as well as Manhattans, but don't charge 3,000 baht for the priveledge (as an example).

Any recommendations gratefully received.

The best three English restaurants without doubt are The Pig & Whistle, Gregs Kitchen & Yorkies Platter.

Gregs for braised steak and roast potatoes followed by apple pie & custard YUMMIE

Yorkies Platter for Home made real sausages and mash, meat pies, fish & chips followed by cherry pie.

The Pig & Whistle for a fantastic English breakfast and a great mug of tea.

I lived in Pattaya for 14 years and these are the best.

Thaileader

Swing low.....

Went to Cafe New Orleans (Pattayaland Soi 2) a few weeks ago.

The whole group enjoyed the food.

The ribs, shrimp and bbq chicken combo was very good and it was a large portion for about 400 baht. Best ribs I have had in Pattaya. Reasonable prices. The upstairs dining area was comfortable. Service was good. Everything seemed to fresh and it takes about 40 minutes for preparation.

I sampled the expensive salmon platter that someone else had. I was not very impressed for 700 baht.

Edited by aguy30

I ate at the Cafe New Orleans years ago for their New Orleans style food. It was overpriced and not very authentic. It is perfectly acceptable food but would not be accepted in New Orleans. Ribs are not really a New Orleans dish anyway.

I do recommend their FILIPINO menu though! The prices again are high and the portions very small for some of the items, but is very good and authentic tasting Filipino food (as the kitchen staff are Pinoys). Only place in town to get that kind of food. Mabuhay!

For ribs, of course, go the Great American Rib Company on Theprasit, probably the best American ribs in Thailand (on a good day anyway).

Edited by Jingthing

Went to Cafe New Orleans (Pattayaland Soi 2) a few weeks ago.

The whole group enjoyed the food.

The ribs, shrimp and bbq chicken was very good and a large portion too. Reasonable prices. The upstairs dining area was comfortable. Service was good. Everything seemed to fresh and it takes about 40 minutes for preparation.

I`ve eaten there many times and always enjoyed the food and service. After dinner it`s nice to sit outside on the terrace with after dinner drinks and watch the world go by. :o

There is a very new GERMAN restaurant in Jomtien Complex and I think it is quite good and also a great value. Large portions of tasty Teutonic fare under 200 baht. Most include a meat, a vegetable, and starch such as spaetzle. The signs are mostly in German but it is easy to find as it is directly across the street from View Talay 2 towers at one the main entrances to the complex. They have a daily menu, different dishes everyday! With the German signage and German voices you will hear around you, you are transported to Bavaria, well, sort of.

Someone else mentioned the Cherry Restaurant. I agree this is a decent place. Can regulars point out some of their favorite dishes there as it is rather a large menu?

Also on 3rd road not far from Cherry there is a fancy looking place called Hans, rather new, and empty when I recently walked by. Any reports?

Edited by Jingthing