Restaurant Recommendations

sweetchariot

from a recent BBC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6040156.stm

Britain is the fattest country in Europe and part of the problem is people don't realise they are overweight, says the government.

from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fa...08worldfat.html

In a list of the countries with the greatest percentage of overweight people, Nauru tops a list of countries with the greatest percentage of overweight people, with an alarming 94.5% of its adult population (ages 15+) classified as such, based on the most recent estimates by the World Health Organization (WHO). The Federated States of Micronesia, Cook Islands, Niue and Tonga round out the top five, all with a portly population of over 90%.

The U.S. weighs in at No. 9, with 74.1% of those over 15 years old considered overweight.

There are currently 1.6 billion overweight adults in the world, according to the World Health Organization. That number is projected to grow by 40% over the next 10 years. The following list reflects the percentage of overweight adults aged 15 and over. These are individuals who have individual body mass indexes, which measures weight relative to height, greater than or equal to 25. Obese is defined as having a BMI greater than or equal to 30.

Rank Country %

1. Nauru 94.5

2. Micronesia, Federated States of 91.1

3. Cook Islands 90.9

4. Tonga 90.8

5. Niue 81.7

6. Samoa 80.4

7. Palau 78.4

8. Kuwait 74.2

9. United States 74.1

10. Kiribati 73.6

11. Dominica 71.0

12. Barbados 69.7

13. Argentina 69.4

14. Egypt 69.4

15. Malta 68.7

16. Greece 68.5

17. New Zealand 68.4

18. United Arab Emirates 68.3

19. Mexico 68.1

20. Trinidad and Tobago 67.9

21. Australia 67.4

22. Belarus 66.8

23. Chile 65.3

24. Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) 65.2

25. Seychelles 64.6

26. Bahrain 64.1

27. Andorra 63.8

28. United Kingdom 63.8

29. Saudi Arabia 63.5

30. Monaco 62.4

31. Bolivia 62.2

32. San Marino 62.1

33. Guatemala 61.2

34. Mongolia 61.2

35. Canada 61.1

36. Qatar 61.0

37. Uruguay 60.9

38. Jordan 60.5

39. Bahamas 60.4

40. Iceland 60.4

41. Nicaragua 60.4

42. Cuba 60.1

43. Germany 60.1

44. Brunei Darussalam 59.8

45. Slovenia 59.8

46. Peru 59.6

47. Vanuatu 59.6

48. Finland 58.7

49. Jamaica 57.4

Foot note: I am not included in #9. United States 74.1

Maybe the American problem is rooted in too much good tasting food that is available from around the world.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me for being an old fuddy duddy, but I thought this thread was about restaurant recommendations in Pattaya? :D

If you want to have a Brit/Yank bashing thread, why don't start one, and leave this one alone for those who are interested in the topic under discussion? :o

As I said the most obes nation in the world. We can all manipulate statistics, but here are the facts.

America has a population over 15 of approx 250 million. 74.1% of these are overweight = 187.5 million.

UK has a population over 15 of approx 50 million. 63.8% of these are overweight = 31.9 million.

The USA fat rate is over 10% higher than the UK, and equivalent to some 155.6 million extra overweight people.

Anyway this is boring. As Jingthing said there are people from both sides of the pond that appreciate good food, but alot less than do not, sadly.

I'm not interested in replying to "agay" - it would be ridiculous to give him the time of day - but the list he cut& pasted makes interesting reading - especially if you take out all the islands - which incidentally have a big problem as their usual diets have been replaced with....imported American processed foods.

Do fat people know more or less about tasty food? I don't know.

Fair enough- time to move ahead

Montien has decent Seafood and BBQ buffet on Fridays. It is not cheap at 650 baht, but it is a nice selection of Asian and Western. Also has good deserts. Nice atmosphere for a buffet.

Lek Hotel and Apex Hotel buffets. (Seem to be the same mgmt) Cheap at 110 baht breakfast and 185 dinner, many items to select but of fairly low quality, high calorie and high carbs, nothing very tasty

White Night-low price at 220 baht, western and thai items, ok selections, some items are very good while some are only ok, fair salad selection, nothing is spicy or highly seasoned (could be ramped up a little), desserts are just ok

Big C Sukhumvit Food Court- The worst. Your better off finding a street vendor selling fried bugs.

Fuki Japanese- Big C Sukhumvit-it is good and not too expensive

Royal Garden Rooftop Food Court- B O R I N G and a little expensive for what they serve. Many Asian and some western items available, but prepared by people that never tasted the real thing and don't know how to make it authentic. You will probably leave with thought of "that could have been better".

Specchio in Carrefour- Many Italian items available, but prepared by people that never tasted the real thing. Rather dry and tasteless offerings. If you desperate for pizza or Italian, go here. They also serve something they call lasgne. Well maybe by a stretch of the definition, it's lasgne. Pizza Company make a better tasting pizza and it isn't that good.

Slices Slices Pizza on Soi Diana-only a little better pizza than Specchio. All you can eat from 5-8 for 99 baht. It is ok if you eat a lot. Calzone is better than the pizza. Both are 45 baht each. Ketchup is available.

Sizzler-YUUUUUCCCKKKK! These has to be a better choice. Never been good anywhere! Salad bar is ok for Thailand, but not all that interesting.

Au Bon Pain- cute sandwiches and snacks, but not tasty. Not the best coffee.

BeniHana Japanese- better off going to Fuji. Over priced and not very tasty. The presentation cooking show is ok, but you a lot for it.

Hot Stone Oven in Jomtien Complex shops. It is quite ok and includes a reasonable salad/soup bar. Not very expensive. Decor is plesant.

Papa Davids and Googies - the same menus, many items, but not interesting- both are just ok, reasonable portions, not expensive.

Subway at three locations-just what Pattaya needs-three more crappy places to eat. Lots of veggies on bread and maybe you will find the little piece of meat. Expensive for mostly veggies.

Anyone been to the All Seasons Hotel buffet? Comments?

Ha ha - every single time!!

I have just been looking in the forums and decided to add my 10 bahts worth of culinery knowledge of western food, I couldn't be bothered to read all 4 pages worth so I clicked to come to the end page and low and behold theres an argument - every single time!!

My recommendation is Symphony on 2nd road between 7 and 8, awesome restaurant with the best dessert for a chocoholic like me!!

Jimmy

Well, Sweetchariot, it is about standing up to the topic bullies who decide for everyone, what is right and wrong. The attitude of "you can your opinion, as long as it agrees with mine" is unacceptable. Domineering and narrow minded attitudes are better left off forums. Who the hel_l put them in charge, anyway?

I can assure you that I am more than capable of "concentrating". It really doesn't take much concentration to write on forums. That is proven frequently.

I was really offended by a sign over the Chow Soy (across from Crazy Dave's :D ) restaurant .

"Your local Chinkys" :o

That is a really disgusting racial slur. Maybe the owners are too stupid to know that.

I will not be eating in Chow Soy! :D:D:D

But as you started the trans-Atlantic mudslinging, then here goes.

And you have the gall to criticise British food and its health merits, maybe you would enjoy it more if we doubled the portion size, fatty.

The Brits always start the sh*tslinging about lousy food in America and then get upset when we throw it back in their faces.

The truth is that if you believe stereotypes, American food sucks, but British food is the worst in the world, so, maybe you chaps should keep your opinions to yourself! :o

Guys, why all this mudslinging?

I like UK, American and many other foods. Do we need to prove who is "best"?

Just chill out, and contribute to the thread with some good recommendations, and don't try to shoot each other down. Hey, we should all be friends!

If this is not to your liking, then perhaps it is time to log off and go out and try some of the many restos already mentioned here. Have a few beers, and be merry.

And it is soon Christmas, so let us show the spirit (sic) laugh.gif

A few more thoughts on Pattaya restaurants:

Pan Pan - the pizza is similar to crispy cardboard with tomato sauce and a little bit of cheese. Skimpy toppings.

Pizza 2000 - similar, but just slightly better cardboard pizza than Pan Pan.

Please don't misunderstand this as a recommendation, but I would rather order from Pizza Company than eat at Pan Pan or Pizza 2000 and I don't think Pizza Company is all that good.

Luxor- used to be better before it was sold. Now it is just another Pattaya restaurant. Menu is a rather boring and prices are too expensive for what they give. No sets are available. Everything is XXXXtra. Good service

Asian Moon Cafe - A small buffet with limted items. Food was ok, but great. Good service. The recent price increase to 295 baht makes it more expensive than what it is worth. Hot Stone Oven would be a better choice if you are in that neighborhood.

Indian Restaurants in general :o:D:D:D I would rather make my semi-annual trip to Mc Donalds.

Mata Hari - Food is rather good and menu is more interesting than many other places. Prices are on the high side.

Mike's Mexican - Not very authentic. but it is ok when you have a craving for Mexican. Not expensive and portions are big.

I've seen Jamesons mentioned a few times but personaly I've been dissapointed with the food there and one thing that strikes is that the food everytime I've eaten there always seems to arrive at the table luke warm at best. I like my food to be piping hot so I can take my time with rather than have to wolf it down before its stone cold.

I think the best sunday lunch in Pattaya from what I've experienced is the carvery at Sportsmans on soi 13.

I would disagree on the Pan Pan pizza, especially the calzone with spinach. To me that is a real treat, as is most other meals at Pan Pan. But that is me and g/f's opinion only, your mileage will of course wary.

Out at the dark (east) side of Sukhumvit I would like to put forward two Swiss run restos: Ticino and Swiss Paradise. Both excellently run places, with nice staff and management, and GREAT food! Go to see Peter and Walter, they will take good care of you.

Asian Moon Cafe - A small buffet with limted items. Food was ok, but great. Good service. The recent price increase to 295 baht makes it more expensive than what it is worth. Hot Stone Oven would be a better choice if you are in that neighborhood.

A typo:

Asian Moon Cafe - A small buffet with limted items. Food was ok, but it was NOT great, Good service. The recent price increase to 295 baht makes it more expensive than what it is worth. Hot Stone Oven would be a better choice if you are in that neighborhood.

Edited by aguy30

Just come back from trying Caddyshack, didn't even know the place existed until I read this thread. Food was pretty good and real chips not the usual frozen garbage you find in most places and prices reasonable. Thai g/f was not impressed with the thai food but then again she is very fussy.

A guy next to me had fish and chips which looked really good and will be tried next time I go there but I notice on this thread that someone said it wasn't that good.

By the way it was quite hazy down by the pool table from all the smokers.

I would disagree on the Pan Pan pizza, especially the calzone with spinach. To me that is a real treat, as is most other meals at Pan Pan. But that is me and g/f's opinion only, your mileage will of course wary.

Out at the dark (east) side of Sukhumvit I would like to put forward two Swiss run restos: Ticino and Swiss Paradise. Both excellently run places, with nice staff and management, and GREAT food! Go to see Peter and Walter, they will take good care of you.

I know Ticinos (which I have already recommended on this thread) but I have never heard of Swiss Paradise. Can you advise the location please?

On lake Mabprachan itself, there is 'Inn on the Lake' ( I had two good meals and one so-so) and Manneke Pis does a mean steak, and some other pretty good food. I have yet to try Mulligans which is English fare. Most of the other bars around the lake do food, but I don't think they are anything special.

Mobi,

Ticino has moved up the road a couple of hundred meters, to a new building. But it is a soft opening I guess, since yours truly has not yet been invited to the grand opening. sad.gif

Swiss paradise is just a bit further up the road, on the left hand side. Very good as well.

Actually you have a third Swiss place just up there, it is called Little Hill. It used to be good, but in my opinion has slid down a couple of notches. But give it a try and decide for yourself.

Edit: As for the Inn on the Lake, I am not so sure. We have given it 3 tries, but not at all satisfied. Nice ambiance, but VERY slow service, and VERY pricy. And the owner woman not out much to sweettalk guests. To me this is a lost opportunity, a very nice location, but not much more. Unless things have changed recently of course.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

I went to Mulligans last week.

We were planning to eat there with 7 people.

The staff wasnt friendly at all. No hello, no goodbye nothing.

Had to wait about 15 minutes before they came to ask if we wanted a drink.

While we were the only ones there.

Half of the drinks we orderd were wrong.

We said about 4 times we wanted to eat as well but somehow they didnt seem happy about it so they never brought the menu.

The English manager said it was new staff so they needed to be trained.

But how can a manager train it's staff when he only has eye for the Manchester game on tv.

Nice kick-off!!

One place i can recommend is Flannigans in Jomtiem plaza!

Great food!

Manneke Pis on Siam country road also serves some really good food.

Nice guy Phillip and a real chef too!

Today I tried the 99 Baht buffet at Steak Lao on 3rd Road.

Well.... I have to admit it's totally rubbish. I only ate some fried rice with chicken in sour sauce.

Infact there wasn't anything else, except 3 kinds of rice, some chicken soup and fruit.

The taste was ........ verry bad and everything was cold.

So, forget about this buffet, sounds great but is a total scam.

Stay at the Apex if you want to go for a big buffet.

I've been trying to locate a restaurant that grills a good steak over actual charcoal brickets versus the usual cooked on a metal plate. I long for the taste that the charcoal brickets impart on the meat. Yeah, I can do it myself and I do on occasion, but I could like to find a good restaurant that cooks steaks in this manner.

I've passed by El Toro's on second road many times, but have yet to give it a try. Has anyone eaten at El Toro's? Any great steak restaurants which charcoal grill their steaks?

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

We said about 4 times we wanted to eat as well but somehow they didnt seem happy about it so they never brought the menu.

But how can a manager train it's staff when he only has eye for the Manchester game on tv.

Nice kick-off!!

Great food!

I don't know why I am defending Mulligan's as I have never eaten there, but own brief experiences are that the service was OK, and there were people eating at the bar who didn't seem to have any problems in ordering.

The food looked nice. :o

Your experience sounds bad, and there is no real excuse. However, they have just opened, and clearly haven't got their act together yet.

I will give them a chance to get up to speed before I write them off.

As already posted, I agree whole heartedly about Manneke Pis, and Phillip and Jun are excellent hosts. (They know the right way to run a pub /restaurant - always be there to control the staff and keep the customers happy)

Took the folks to Flannigans under the Jomtien Condo last night.

Everybody really enjoyed their food (including my Thai g/f), and whilst I thought it was a bit overpriced at 2,000 for the four of us, my parents couldn't believe how cheap it was (that included a carafe of wine and 4 beers). The menu is not very extensive, but it seems they have concentrated on what they can do well, as we had 4 different dishes and all were very good. I had a great fillet steak ordered medium rare, and to my amazement it came.......medium rare! At 375 bht this was probably the best value on the menu, as most mains are over 300bht.

All in all for their first dining out experience in LOS they were very impressed.

Thanks for all your input, I will keep you updated on our further experiences.

Do fat people know more or less about tasty food? I don't know.

Fair enough- time to move ahead

Montien has decent Seafood and BBQ buffet on Fridays. It is not cheap at 650 baht, but it is a nice selection of Asian and Western. Also has good deserts. Nice atmosphere for a buffet.

Lek Hotel and Apex Hotel buffets. (Seem to be the same mgmt) Cheap at 110 baht breakfast and 185 dinner, many items to select but of fairly low quality, high calorie and high carbs, nothing very tasty

White Night-low price at 220 baht, western and thai items, ok selections, some items are very good while some are only ok, fair salad selection, nothing is spicy or highly seasoned (could be ramped up a little), desserts are just ok

Big C Sukhumvit Food Court- The worst. Your better off finding a street vendor selling fried bugs.

Fuki Japanese- Big C Sukhumvit-it is good and not too expensive

Royal Garden Rooftop Food Court- B O R I N G and a little expensive for what they serve. Many Asian and some western items available, but prepared by people that never tasted the real thing and don't know how to make it authentic. You will probably leave with thought of "that could have been better".

Specchio in Carrefour- Many Italian items available, but prepared by people that never tasted the real thing. Rather dry and tasteless offerings. If you desperate for pizza or Italian, go here. They also serve something they call lasgne. Well maybe by a stretch of the definition, it's lasgne. Pizza Company make a better tasting pizza and it isn't that good.

Slices Slices Pizza on Soi Diana-only a little better pizza than Specchio. All you can eat from 5-8 for 99 baht. It is ok if you eat a lot. Calzone is better than the pizza. Both are 45 baht each. Ketchup is available.

Sizzler-YUUUUUCCCKKKK! These has to be a better choice. Never been good anywhere! Salad bar is ok for Thailand, but not all that interesting.

Au Bon Pain- cute sandwiches and snacks, but not tasty. Not the best coffee.

BeniHana Japanese- better off going to Fuji. Over priced and not very tasty. The presentation cooking show is ok, but you a lot for it.

Hot Stone Oven in Jomtien Complex shops. It is quite ok and includes a reasonable salad/soup bar. Not very expensive. Decor is plesant.

Papa Davids and Googies - the same menus, many items, but not interesting- both are just ok, reasonable portions, not expensive.

Subway at three locations-just what Pattaya needs-three more crappy places to eat. Lots of veggies on bread and maybe you will find the little piece of meat. Expensive for mostly veggies.

Anyone been to the All Seasons Hotel buffet? Comments?

Edited by Pattaya_Fox
Flaming comments deleted.

Ha ha - every single time!!

I have just been looking in the forums and decided to add my 10 bahts worth of culinery knowledge of western food, I couldn't be bothered to read all 4 pages worth so I clicked to come to the end page and low and behold theres an argument - every single time!!

My recommendation is Symphony on 2nd road between 7 and 8, awesome restaurant with the best dessert for a chocoholic like me!!

Jimmy

Already recommended!

Nice kick-off!!

Great food!

I don't know why I am defending Mulligan's as I have never eaten there, but own brief experiences are that the service was OK, and there were people eating at the bar who didn't seem to have any problems in ordering.

The food looked nice. :o

Your experience sounds bad, and there is no real excuse. However, they have just opened, and clearly haven't got their act together yet.

I will give them a chance to get up to speed before I write them off.

As already posted, I agree whole heartedly about Manneke Pis, and Phillip and Jun are excellent hosts. (They know the right way to run a pub /restaurant - always be there to control the staff and keep the customers happy)

I was really looking forward to having a nice dinner at Mulligans.. But it was a bit of an dissapointment.

But i will definitly give them another try. But not soon.

Maybe in a month or 2-3 when they probably will have there act together.

Manneke pis is indeed a nice place to go.

I allways find it very funny when Jun gets angry on Philip.

She's working her butt off sometimes and he just sits there at the corner off the bar, smoking.

I like the beef stew.. As well as the steak with red-wine sauce!!

Good stuff!