Buy a condo-good idea?

I´m thinking of buying a condo in Jomtien.

Is there someone outthere who has good or bad experience from a condo ownership?

If so, please, share what you know with me.

I also want to know about The View Talay Condo.

anyone whos got a apartment there or knows about the standard, contract etc.

:o

Jomitian a few years ago saw a boom in Hotels and Apartment/Condo's being built, some say it was because they expected the Chinese would emigrate there in Thousands when Hong Kong was handed back to China, but this just did not happen so hence the many,many empty buildings down beach road.

I believe it will come back when Pattaya has reached it's bursting point ( maybe sooner than later) so yes Jomtian is a good investment, as for Veiw Talay I think there are better condo's near to the beach area.

A good tip would be find the one you want to buy and rent it for 6 MONTHS to see what the local atmosphere is like, and if you like it then get your 6 months rental knocked off the asking price.

Good Luck

Sev

sevinnow-

Thanks a lot for the information.

To rent it for a while before buying it sounds like a good idea.

i also think its important to contact a good law office to have a proper look at the contrakt.

anyone who can recomend one?

Alain, I was also looking at buying a condo in Bangkok...until I realised what % return you'd get in rent (very low), the potential selling price (Thais prefer new condos), and the fact that I'd have to pay out 4 million to get somewhere decent.

There are always pitfalls and confusions with the language difference and answers can even be distorted innocently in translations.  If buying second hand I'd be very wary of the seller's history..meaning...is it theirs to sell? Do they have outstanding costs that could be passed on to you?  And these are basics.  For a new place, research the developer and ask existing tenants (if any) how it's managed.  Snapping up a cheaper price off-plan is tempting, but you need to be sure the developer will provide the goods as you see in the contract.  If not, what will you do?  Will the details/standards even be listed in the contract? Is a deposit returnable if you pull out?

Just a few things I had to think about :-)

Hi alian,

I know a friend who had made downpayment, etc etc for a yet-to-be built condo unit in Chiangmai many years back.

Up to date, there is no condo and my friend can't even get a satang back.

It is advisable to check very very carefully..Good luck..   :o

PedSuam, chuang.

Thanks fore sharing what you know.

Just for the risk you both mentiond with new developers, i am looking at the View Talay in Jomtien.

They are now building their second condo in that area, and i havent yet heard anything bad about the first one.

(Havent heard much AT ALL to be honest...)

The best would be to have contact with a View Talay condoowner, and ask him/her direct.  

:D   B)  :o  B)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the latest news it looks like a bad idea to invest money in a condo.

Who knows what Mr Thaksin will be up to next?

Maybe it´s time for us to leave Thailand and spend our money somewhere else.

:o

it´s sad...

• 5 weeks later...

I've been contelplating buying a condo at Condotel soi 19 jomtien, then renting it out. about 57sqm, lovely view, great pool, tennis squash...but there is just something about that place that puts me off...1.3 selling price not a bad deal...

Anyone know it? Experience?

I am a Condo owner at Jomtien, View Talay.

I have owned for 1 year and have visited regularly. I am looking to sell now as it is a bit impractical for me because I will visit less regularly in the future than I expected when I purchased, due to work commitments in UK.

The staff, security and maintainance is good and I have had no problems at all.

If you have any specific questions that I can assist with or interest in my Condo you can email me at [email protected]

Martin

Forget the condo, I have a bar to sell  :o

Much better investment  :laugh:

Not pulling up anchor already i hope 'fly? Still a bit fo breathing space to go, i would have thought? Or are just getting business in order first? Looks like 'toul has really copped out on the other thread, huh?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Condo in viewtalay 2.

The developer is very honest and the condo is reasonably good quality and well located.  It did cost a bit more than I expected, because of needing a kitchen, aircon, hotwater, furniture, tiles, etc.

But I think the price has risen since I bought it, and it is a good investment. The financing terms are also attractive.  But remeber, you can't use it till you paid for it.

If I bought again, I would spend more money and buy a bigger condo.  But at the time, I did not have more money to invest.

I look forward to moving up to a larger unit in the future.

Just commenting on my own experiences.  

Frankly, View Taly is not a bad choice of condo for a starter.  And at least if you buy a condo in thai, even if you loose all your money on the wrong stock, you can still live in the condo when you retire.

If you buy right, you can get a sunset view.