Service Charge And Tax At Coffee Shop.

siam-i-am

The service at Black Canyon at Thapae Gate is excellent and one of the servers is so fine she could be a model. The ladyboy is pretty cute too, although I don't swing that way. :o

But how is the food ?

I met some old friends (young, really good looking Thai friends) at Tha Pae Gate and we went in Black Canyon for a meal. There was so much eye candy at our table and among the waitstaff that I have no memory of the food or the price. However, when they bring the check-in and it's 117% of the price I saw on the menu, I'm inclined to leave no tip even if the waitstaff were Leonardo diCaprio and Madonna. I don't return to high priced places where the food is easily forgotten.

However, when they bring the check-in and it's 117% of the price I saw on the menu, I'm inclined to leave no tip even if the waitstaff were Leonardo diCaprio and Madonna. I don't return to high priced places where the food is easily forgotten.

Your post is a little confusing. If I am correct, Black Canyon is not expensive and there is no tax or service charge even though some of the waitresses are most hot.

I think that you were expressing negative feeling about other businesses that are overpriced and that scam the public with add on costs! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

This is all wrong. There is no point at which a business has to add on tax and service charge and seeing as you brought up McDonalds, there is your proof. They sell more than anyone else and have added neither.

Adding tax and service charge to prices was a scam thought up by greedy hotel owners and now a lot of other businesses are copying it! :o

Hi UG, since it's a scam I wonder have you (or anyone else) ever actually refused to pay the tax and service charge in swanky restaurants here, and if so what was the outcome?

Do McDonald's definitely not charge it - or is it added in the price?

Just curious :D

This is all wrong. There is no point at which a business has to add on tax and service charge and seeing as you brought up McDonalds, there is your proof. They sell more than anyone else and have added neither.

Adding tax and service charge to prices was a scam thought up by greedy hotel owners and now a lot of other businesses are copying it! :D

Hi UG, since it's a scam I wonder have you (or anyone else) ever actually refused to pay the tax and service charge in swanky restaurants here, and if so what was the outcome?

you could always pay it and ask for a VAT refund receipt :o

However, when they bring the check-in and it's 117% of the price I saw on the menu, I'm inclined to leave no tip even if the waitstaff were Leonardo diCaprio and Madonna. I don't return to high priced places where the food is easily forgotten.

Your post is a little confusing. If I am correct, Black Canyon is not expensive and there is no tax or service charge even though some of the waitresses are most hot.

I think that you were expressing negative feeling about other businesses that are overpriced and that scam the public with add on costs! :o

Right, as usual. I was distracted thinking about the distractors. Mea culpa.

Adding tax and service charge to prices was a scam thought up by greedy hotel owners and now a lot of other businesses are copying it! :o

The "scam" is adding taxes and service charges on top of the price. If it is part of the advertised price, I have no problem with it.

The "scam" is adding taxes and service charges on top of the price. If it is part of the advertised price, I have no problem with it.

Yep,I get your drift - but if it's a scam does it really make much difference if its part of the advertised price or not. One's a low class scam and the other a high class scam, but they're both scams...aren't they? :D

quoted....."since it's a scam I wonder have you (or anyone else) ever actually refused to pay the tax and service charge in swanky restaurants here, and if so what was the outcome? "

If the restaurant put the fine print ' 17% will be automatic added to the tab' I would be happy to oblige.

But hate to be taken by a surprise. In the past, it happened as we paid double tips.

I once made a complain to the manager at one of the fine eating establishment about lousy service from our waiter. The whole time we were taken care by our busperson becouse our waiter was pre-occupied with the patrons from other tables, ignoring us (may be he saw that busperson doing a good job taking care our table).

We only got to see his face when he came to our table to presented the tab to us. Upon seeing the 17% automatic added, which worked out to be in several hundred bahts. I wasn't happy with his service plus the tipping policy. So, I got up and went straight to see the manager, I said since I got absolute no service from my waiter, I want my whole tips go to the busperson for he was the only one who took care of us, he deserved every stang.

The manager was smart, well educated and had excellent sense on how to do business.

She took the tips charged out, gave me new total (after minus the 17% charged). I paid the balance. What I did next, I handed out the tips in cash to our busperson infront of the manager, I deliberated doing right infront of her so she won't get the wrong idea - another cheap charlie tring to save a buck. That's not in my nature.