Probability To Find A Job !?

Again and again, the OP totally ignores the work permit issue. It's almost as if he believes the laws don't apply to him because he's white.

Oh well . . he can get his 20k a month job and live the way he wants to live, and then see what happens in a year or two's time.

I wish him well, but let's face it - we all know the end of the story, don't we?

Why do you say that he ignores the work permit issue? There are no monthly salary requirements for a work permit.

฿6,000 - 1 Bedroom Condo Rent

฿1,000 - Electricity/Water Bill

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿1,500 - Health Insurance (Thai coverage)

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

Total: ฿20,000 Per month

It's tight, but definitely doable. Long term? To each his own I guess :o

And you are naked. Yep, no clothing budget!

In more ways than one. This above isn't realistic at all. Gotta include the computer, the restaurants, the TV, the furnishings, the girlfriend, the transportation (esp. car and/or motorbike), the splurges, the health bill that the little Thai insurance policy doesn't cover, immigration costs . . . just a million things that Misc can't include.

Not realistic? Ah phleeaase :D

- Clothing budget? I got here 2 years ago and I'm still doing fine with what I had when I got here. I bought a few little things that do not even account for ฿5,000 in 2 years. The OP is just coming here for 11 months.

- Condo comes fully furnished most of the time, if not you can buy the cutlery and/or other little kitchen things at BigC very cheap. Anyways, it's irrelevant because the OP said he was gonna live with a friend - so I suppose that it is already furnished.

- Immigration costs? He's coming here for 11 months and he is most likely to get a Multi Non-Imm "B" which will be good for 15 months in Thailand. He will need a budget for a bus to go to the border every 3 months. (Misc category covers that plenty)

- Transportation is dirt-cheap, baht bus cost 20 baht. (Misc category covers that plenty)

- Health Insurance with Bupa International for ฿1,500 is full cover and includes out-patient charges.

Again and again, the OP totally ignores the work permit issue. It's almost as if he believes the laws don't apply to him because he's white.

Oh well . . he can get his 20k a month job and live the way he wants to live, and then see what happens in a year or two's time.

I wish him well, but let's face it - we all know the end of the story, don't we?

Why do you say that he ignores the work permit issue? There are no monthly salary requirements for a work permit.

to the best of my knowledge there are. correct me if i'm wrong.

to the best of my knowledge there are. correct me if i'm wrong.

There are no monthly salary requirements to obtain a work permit with the labour office. The monthly requirements are with the immigration in order to get a one year extension of stay based on employment. You only need a one year extension if you wish to report to the immigration office every 90 days instead of doing a border run. There are some advantages for doing an extension of stay, but it's irrelevant in the OP's case.

Edited by kudroz

I survived on barely more than 20K at a similar budget for one year (doing visa runs, too) and it was not unpleasant but still stressful- and I was lucky that it was a very healthy year, and one with very little alcohol. Since that time I have considerably improved my situation (not by increasing my salary, but by reducing my expenses- you can easily save 4-6,000B on rent by living in a cardboard box).

"S"

฿6,000 - 1 Bedroom Condo Rent

฿1,000 - Electricity/Water Bill

฿6,000 - Food

฿500 - Internet

฿1,500 - Health Insurance (Thai coverage)

฿5,000 - Misc Expenses

Total: ฿20,000 Per month

I think it's possible to find an unfurnished bungalow for less than 2000/month and fishing to eat (not tourism places of course).

Have you ever seen campings in Thailand? with a tent you could save more, a simple piece of earth near the beach (inside a property) can be rent for 1000/month i think (or less).

Without internet, electricity/water (you can wash yourself in the sea), you can survive with 5000 baht/month and there is money for 2-3 hookers/month..

I know that some people in Phuket survive 6 months with 1000 euro, they go to public parties, openings, etc.. to eat and they live in 5000baht/month room in three-four people to save money.. it's amazing what people can do to avoid their previous western life.

Some of you make it sound like paying ฿6,000 gets you a small unhappy place. I have lived in Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya. I doubt that you can find a nice place in Phuket for ฿6,000 - but I know you can find decent condos in Chiang Mai for that price. I've seen some nice small houses in Tak and Mae Sot for less than that (i wouldn't live there though).

I have found that the best deals are not advertised in english online, I find these deals either on Thai languages websites or by driving around. I get food from Thai restaurants around here (not food stalls) and it doesn't cost me more than ฿45 for a fried chicken rice with a thai omelette. Soft drinks are ฿10-15 and water even cheaper. When I go to a "western" restaurant like Duke's in Chiang Mai, it rarely cost me more than ฿150-200 per meal.

Someone can definitely live with ฿20,000 per month and be comfortable enough. He might have to budget a little and no extravagance allowed, but it's not as bad as you guys try to portray it.

This thread again.... Well, everyone is different. My Dad lives here happily and simply for less than 20,000 a month. I'm completely stressed when I make under 70,000 Baht a month.

My expenses:

Rent Condo: 8,500

Elec- 2,000

Car- 10,500

Petrol- 4,000

Food- 20,000

UBC- 2,000

Internet- 200

Clothes- 3,000

Phone- 1,000

Girlfriend- 5,000

Misc. Something always comes up- 10,000

---66,200---

I could move to a 4,000 Baht a month room. I could never turn on the aircon. I could sell the car. I could eat at Thai food stands only. But that's not really my style. Like I said, my Dad gets by just fine on less than 20,000. So it all depends. You need to be honest about what kind of person you are before you decide on a budget.

My mom lives in Thailand as well and she's also spending less or about ฿20,000 per month. My living expenses are a lot more, when I was in Phuket they were as high as ฿210,000 per month (rent was ฿95,000 in Laguna). Now my living expenses are around ฿70,000 but we are 3 living off that.

There are no monthly salary requirements to obtain a work permit with the labour office. The monthly requirements are with the immigration in order to get a one year extension of stay based on employment. You only need a one year extension if you wish to report to the immigration office every 90 days instead of doing a border run. There are some advantages for doing an extension of stay, but it's irrelevant in the OP's case.

Hi Kudroz,

In order to maintain a work permit, I understood the Labour Department required work permit holders to pay personal income tax of Bt18,000 per year. This is entirely separate from Immigration's requirements for one year extensions, and works out to be a monthly salary of a little more than Bt30,000.

Is this no longer required?--would be good to know if so.

Cheers, Misty

As an example, there are very decent condo in Changklan Residence in Chiang Mai for ฿6,000 per month. You can eat rice, noodles at the food stalls or stuff at the 7/11 that will cost you around ฿50 per meal with a soft drink.

Don't forget condoms for all the lovely Thai ladies... oh sorry, all your money will be spent on rice and noodles.

It's ok, you would need any.

As an example, there are very decent condo in Changklan Residence in Chiang Mai for ฿6,000 per month. You can eat rice, noodles at the food stalls or stuff at the 7/11 that will cost you around ฿50 per meal with a soft drink.

Don't forget condoms for all the lovely Thai ladies... oh sorry, all your money will be spent on rice and noodles.

It's ok, you would need any.

Lovely.

Hi Kudroz,

In order to maintain a work permit, I understood the Labour Department required work permit holders to pay personal income tax of Bt18,000 per year. This is entirely separate from Immigration's requirements for one year extensions, and works out to be a monthly salary of a little more than Bt30,000.

Is this no longer required?--would be good to know if so.

Cheers, Misty

It is at the discretion of the particular labour office you deal with. In Chiang Mai you do not have this ฿18,000 tax per year requirement, but they ask that you show the full paid-up capital - in cash - deposited in the bank account. This is a particular requirement of the Chiang Mai office and doesn't not apply in Bangkok.

It's about 4,500 baht per month at the condo I'm in CM.

Practically within 30 Ft of the place are places that serve thai food at 20-25 baht a pop incl. drink.

70,000 baht per month in CM??!! That's living the high life :o

Like I said, just depends on your style. I don't usually eat at the cheap places and I'm not real happy in a one room condo. And I've got the car. Plus, like to play golf. Anyway, like I said, you've got to know yourself in order to set an accurate budget. If you're happy in a 4,500 baht room and 30 baht meals, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd say go for it, if it doesn't work out go home and rethink your strategy and maybe take some advice from previous posters :o Chances of finding work I'd say were pretty slim, most westerners working here are either teaching English, run there own business's or skilled contracted workers.

• 2 months later...

So many Thai people earn less than 20,000 and they can survive.

Why should it be impossible for Farangs to survive with 20,000 or 25,000 ??

I think the problem is that most Farangs can not change their life; they are trying to live the same life as they do at "home" ...

:o I agree, it's possible.

It never seizes to amaze me how much some people are willing to compromise just to live in Thailand. And it's usually people who should be making the transition into the prime of their careers and building a nestegg for the future. This idea about the happy life with an easy job & cupnoodle survival belongs in fairytales.

Truth be told, I can't even see why english teachers want to be here for 30k per month (No offense, just wondering) What will the teachers do when retirement age comes around?

And this is not because I want a life with "Western Luxury" as you put it. I just want to be able to do the things I want, without counting every baht that leaves my pocket and still be able to put money aside for my future. I have also lived in Indonesia and China and I am very fond of Asia as well and I wish to live here too but not at all costs. If this was an application for a job or you acted this overzealous at an interview, you will quickly lose any bargaining power you may have had.... why settle for less, when you can get more with just a little extra effort.

OP, it is obvious that this is the lazy approach to getting here. People that really want to relocate to Thailand, should try to contain their excitement & stop itching to hop on the next plane out here.

Try to find better ways to get out here, where your quality of living will level up. Trust me, living paycheck-to-paycheck will get very old, very fast.

Find a specialized field that interests you and there at the same time is a shortage of in Thailand and go back to school and earn your credentials. Or find out which German companies are based/have divisions in Thailand and try to apply there, work hard in Germany first and earn your right to get expatriated. But this doesn't mean that the hard working stops, if anything it increases.

I am in my mid-twenties as well, so it is possible to get a well paid job, even without 20 years experience & an Master Degree. You just have to find you entry-point & not sell yourself short.

Anyways, good luck, hope you take everyones comments into consideration... They (we) are the people that are living here and though you might have been on long vacations here, ultimately relocation very different.

Edited by DB84

A very sensible post.

I know a guy here who is literally penniless. He has been here for 4-5 years. He's 46 years old. When he arrived here, he was a teacher. Then he got a job managing a good quality bar and earned 70k. Because he couldnt resist the temptations of that life (nuff said) he was fired and since then has steadily gone from bad job to worse. At the moment, he has just come back penniless from Cambodia and his life is now complicated by the fact that he has to find something quick or he will have to leave the country at the end of the month.

He is currently being supported by his GF who has a 15,000 a month job. They live in a one room 5000 baht a month apartment.

I asked him why he doesnt head back to Europe and earn some cash and then come back. He doesnt want to. I couldnt get him to explain why.

I look at him and I despair. I just can't fathom why a guy born with the advantages of being a westerner wants to be here so much that he will live the way he does. He's a decent bloke, but what sort of future does he have?

OP hasn't posted (to this thread at least) since Dec 07 so far as I can see - perhaps he's thinking again - perhaps he's already here and can't afford internet access, who knows?

I know one thing - there is not a cat's chance in hel_l that I'd mortgage my future just for the "privilege" of living in Thailand - much as I like the place, I'll enjoy it much much more with enough $$$ in the bank to do what I want, cover any future medical needs, AND not have to worry about meeting the financial requirements for visas ...

So if I have to put in a few years elsewhere to achieve that, it's a small price to pay...

Anyway, good luck to the OP - hope it works out for him (but I fear the worst)

CC

Hi all !!

I am visiting this forum very often, but now I decided to join your community because I really want to ask a question:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ... IS THERE A HIGH PROBABILITY TO FIND A JOB IN THAILAND WITHIN 6 MONTHS?

I am a 25-year-old German man, no university, but commercial education ...

And I am prepared to work for 20,000 Baht per month.

Looking forward to receiving your replies.

Take a quick culinary course and come here as a cook. If you can, get a job in a kitchen in Germany for a little bit before coming over.

Restaurants, hotels, resorts, all looking for cooks. You land in a nice resort and you'll make more than 20,000thb, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

dudes doom sayers & the others :D

are we jealous of a guy who ain't afraid to take chance at this early stage in life - did most of you perhaps never make it backpacking thru asia when you were young?

backpackers usually make it from 20usd/day & they sure need more money traveling around than one who can base himself in bkk, CM or samui :o

I tried making a living here for some 3months a few times in between jobs in bkk & my budget for sure was lower than 20k (fresh out of uni) e.g. rent 3k, gf working etc. However I didn't find decent work within the time frame I had set, so I moved back to europe once I secured a job there (was open for global options) - then I came back with a secure good job 10years later instead :D

People have to try out the dream & should it not work out I'm sure they'll realize & hopefully have a place to return to - being told to 'pissoff' is not gonna discourage them - quite to opposite :D

Cheers!

I just can't fathom why a guy born with the advantages of being a westerner wants to be here so much that he will live the way he does. He's a decent bloke, but what sort of future does he have?

But not all westerners were born with or have the advantages of being a westerner. Not everyone has the means or aptitude to go to uni get a degree. As for your friend he probalby ha nothing to come back to which is a frightening thought at 40 odd.

The OP should get on a plane try his best in LOS if he fails get on the next flight back to Germany and work on a better plan.

I just can't fathom why a guy born with the advantages of being a westerner wants to be here so much that he will live the way he does. He's a decent bloke, but what sort of future does he have?

But not all westerners were born with or have the advantages of being a westerner. Not everyone has the means or aptitude to go to uni get a degree. As for your friend he probalby ha nothing to come back to which is a frightening thought at 40 odd.

The OP should get on a plane try his best in LOS if he fails get on the next flight back to Germany and work on a better plan.

Done it many time over and survived. Enjoy life and deal with the consequences of your decisions. The worst, which will probably happen, is he returns to his home country and resumes a a normal life.