New Restaurant Meals

billaaa777

I went to the new shopping center with the McDonalds and Shenigan’s and walked around for the first time yesterday.

The Bigboy Dinner has a Philly Cheese steak on the menu; I did not try it but will go again and give it a go. It is the only restaurant that I have found here that has a Philly Cheese steak on the menu. I did not eat there because they don’t have a restroom. How somebody can build a beautiful new restaurant with relatively expensive food and not put in a restroom is beyond me.

I tried the hamburger at Shenigan’s and it was you typical Thai beef, just no good crap. Which was surprising since I had previous eaten the imported Australian Rib Eye which was one of the best steaks I have ever had. Great steak at only 585, a real bargain.

The Villa Market has a lunch counter and to my great surprise they have a turkey dinner on the menu for only 245. So that is a must try, again this is the only restaurant that I have found that has a turkey dinner on the regular menu. I hope it is a real turkey and not some turkey roll junk.

I went to the new shopping center with the McDonalds and Shenigan’s and walked around for the first time yesterday.

The Bigboy Dinner has a Philly Cheese steak on the menu; I did not try it but will go again and give it a go. It is the only restaurant that I have found here that has a Philly Cheese steak on the menu. I did not eat there because they don’t have a restroom. How somebody can build a beautiful new restaurant with relatively expensive food and not put in a restroom is beyond me.

I tried the hamburger at Shenigan’s and it was you typical Thai beef, just no good crap. Which was surprising since I had previous eaten the imported Australian Rib Eye which was one of the best steaks I have ever had. Great steak at only 585, a real bargain.

The Villa Market has a lunch counter and to my great surprise they have a turkey dinner on the menu for only 245. So that is a must try, again this is the only restaurant that I have found that has a turkey dinner on the regular menu. I hope it is a real turkey and not some turkey roll junk.

Someone told me that the cheese used on the Philly cheese steak was crap and made for a terrible sandwich.

Most of the restos don't have RRs in them...however, the center itself has plenty scattered around and they are kept very clean .

I have found the food at Shenigan's to me mediocre at best (and high priced). The only days I go there are on weekends for the carvery on occasion.

I too noticed the Turkey plate at Ville lunch counter...can't imagine it being real roast turkey as not enough demand for it and most would go to waste if cooked a real turkey just for this meal. Must be some type of turkey roll type thing. Also, price is kinda high...for B 245 you can get many good buffets or 2-3 corse meals around town.

I tried the hamburger at Shenigan's and it was you typical Thai beef, just no good crap.

This has always confused me with you Yanks. Why do you call a beefburger a hamburger? I thought a hamburger was made of pork, but obviously not so. Do you have a slice of ham on top of it?

I am taking the p1ss slightly, but am genuinely interested.

If I ordered a chicken burger in the US, what would I get? Ham, beef, fish?

Anyway, Shennanigans, food any good - apart from the ham(beef)burger?

I was so excited about the Turkey Dinner at the Villa Market I went back the very next day and tried it for lunch. It was FANTASTIC! It came with real roasted turkey and a large portion at that, mashed potatoes and gravy and an iceberg salad. The lettuce was the freshest I have EVER had in Thailand, not like the month old stuff you can get at Care Four. The grade for the meal was A+. I hope a lot or readers go by and give it a try so they can keep on the menu.

While I was there I notice their signs for hamburgers that stated they were made with REAL beef, so I will give it a try and report back in a few days. I so hope to find a great hamburger here, up to know the Whopper was the best I have been able to find, which is not bad, but not like a real homemade burger.

I was not going to buy anything in the market, but decided to walk around the store anyway to check out what they had. And to my great surprise, they carry CLAUSSEN pickles, the best pickle ever made. So I got a cart and went shopping. They also carry JONES breakfast sausage; finally a real sausage is available in Thailand. No Jimmy Dean, but Jones is not bad. They also had real DORITOS, the first time I have been able to find that. Now if they start stocking Wise BBQ potato chips and Fritos I would really be in hog’s heaven.

The store was not that busy and I am sure they are paying an arm and a leg for rent, so I truly wish them the best of luck and hope it takes off. The store is well laid out with plenty of space between the isles; also it is clean and bright. Hopefully with View Talay 6 finished now they will start getting a regular client base.

I was so excited about the Turkey Dinner at the Villa Market I went back the very next day and tried it for lunch. It was FANTASTIC! It came with real roasted turkey and a large portion at that, mashed potatoes and gravy and an iceberg salad. The lettuce was the freshest I have EVER had in Thailand, not like the month old stuff you can get at Care Four. The grade for the meal was A+. I hope a lot or readers go by and give it a try so they can keep on the menu.

While I was there I notice their signs for hamburgers that stated they were made with REAL beef, so I will give it a try and report back in a few days. I so hope to find a great hamburger here, up to know the Whopper was the best I have been able to find, which is not bad, but not like a real homemade burger.

I was not going to buy anything in the market, but decided to walk around the store anyway to check out what they had. And to my great surprise, they carry CLAUSSEN pickles, the best pickle ever made. So I got a cart and went shopping. They also carry JONES breakfast sausage; finally a real sausage is available in Thailand. No Jimmy Dean, but Jones is not bad. They also had real DORITOS, the first time I have been able to find that. Now if they start stocking Wise BBQ potato chips and Fritos I would really be in hog's heaven.

The store was not that busy and I am sure they are paying an arm and a leg for rent, so I truly wish them the best of luck and hope it takes off. The store is well laid out with plenty of space between the isles; also it is clean and bright. Hopefully with View Talay 6 finished now they will start getting a regular client base.

i had the burger there, it was as described and was a pretty good effort.

my missis had the ribs and needed a doggy bag the rack was so big.

This has always confused me with you Yanks. Why do you call a beefburger a hamburger?

Because the concept of the hamburger was invented in Hamburg, Germany and brought over to the U.S. where it was improved with a bun and pickles and cheese and so on, just like the concept of the pizza originally came from Italy. :o

This has always confused me with you Yanks. Why do you call a beefburger a hamburger?

Because the concept of the hamburger was invented in Hamburg, Germany and brought over to the U.S. where it was improved with a bun and pickles and cheese and so on, just like the concept of the pizza originally came from Italy. :o

Well I didn't know that. A genuine thankyou, always confused me that one.

Glad to have my assumption on the turkey plate proven wrong. Though I prefer a nice side of chicken to turkey (turkey meat tends to be dry) it's nice to see they are doing some good food at Villa. I had some Thai plates there and they were good (though portions more fit for a bird or Thai girl).

And both Frankfurters and Berliners are sausages - also named after the cities of origin. Dresden has a fancy loaf of bread also.

(Remeber JFK in Berlin - famous speech "Ich bien ein Berliner" (I am a sausage)?? If he'd said "Ich bien Berliner" it might have been considered a politeness, rather than a joke.)

(By the way - that was Frankfurt am Main, not Frankfurt an der Oder)

Glad to have my assumption on the turkey plate proven wrong. Though I prefer a nice side of chicken to turkey (turkey meat tends to be dry) it's nice to see they are doing some good food at Villa. I had some Thai plates there and they were good (though portions more fit for a bird or Thai girl).

Yeah, tell me about it. The chicken with cashews probably wouldn't even feed a bird. What a joke!

And both Frankfurters and Berliners are sausages - also named after the cities of origin. Dresden has a fancy loaf of bread also.

(Remeber JFK in Berlin - famous speech "Ich bien ein Berliner" (I am a sausage)?? If he'd said "Ich bien Berliner" it might have been considered a politeness, rather than a joke.)

I am aware there are many products associated with these towns, I was just not aware that a hamburger was (we call them beefburgers in the UK, so I assumed hamburger was a burger made of ham). The urban myth about JFK's speech is that he said 'I am a donut', not a sausage, but apparantly it is just a myth.

From about.com:

Did President Kennedy Say He Was a Jelly Doughnut? There is a persistent claim that JFK's famous German phrase, "Ich bin ein Berliner," was a gaffe that translates as "I am a jelly doughnut." But when Kennedy made that statement in a West Berlin speech in 1963, his German audience understood exactly what his words meant: "I am a citizen of Berlin." They also understood that he was saying that he stood by them in their Cold War battle against the Berlin Wall and a divided Germany.

No one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words spoken in German. In fact, he had been provided help from translators who knew the language well. He wrote out the key phrase phonetically and practiced it before his speech in front of the Schöneberger Rathaus (town hall) in Berlin, and his words were warmly received. Yet this German myth has been perpetuated by teachers of German and other people who should know better. Although a "Berliner" is also a type of jelly doughnut, in the context used by JFK it could not have been misunderstood any more than if I told you "I am a danish" in English. You might think I was crazy, but you wouldn't think I was claiming to be a citizen of Denmark (Dänemark).

Part of the problem here stems from the fact that in statements of nationality or citizenship, German often leaves off the "ein." But in Kennedy's statement, the "ein" was correct and expressed that he was "one" of them.

Yeah, tell me about it. The chicken with cashews probably wouldn't even feed a bird. What a joke!

But mine was tasty...I think slightly better than Foodlands version (though Foodland's is good too).

Also, I have noticed a bunch of new restos opening up in the new LK townshouses that were build on the 3rd road extension before the flyover to Bali Hai on the right. There is a place called "Goodlands," an obvious knock-off of Foodland (maybe a visit from Foodland's trademark lawyers is in order here :o ), and also a couple Indian places and a Mexican place. Anyone tried any of these yet?

Edited by jonniebkk

For sure, there are alot of Germanic influences in mainstream American culture fascism ...

Hey! Don't we get enough of this garbage from the Europeans? :D

I just wanted to thank Jingthing for helping out on the yankee bashing..... :o

I am aware there are many products associated with these towns, I was just not aware that a hamburger was (we call them beefburgers in the UK, so I assumed hamburger was a burger made of ham). The urban myth about JFK's speech is that he said 'I am a donut', not a sausage, but apparantly it is just a myth.

From about.com:

Did President Kennedy Say He Was a Jelly Doughnut? There is a persistent claim that JFK's famous German phrase, "Ich bin ein Berliner," was a gaffe that translates as "I am a jelly doughnut." But when Kennedy made that statement in a West Berlin speech in 1963, his German audience understood exactly what his words meant: "I am a citizen of Berlin." They also understood that he was saying that he stood by them in their Cold War battle against the Berlin Wall and a divided Germany.

No one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words spoken in German. In fact, he had been provided help from translators who knew the language well. He wrote out the key phrase phonetically and practiced it before his speech in front of the Schöneberger Rathaus (town hall) in Berlin, and his words were warmly received. Yet this German myth has been perpetuated by teachers of German and other people who should know better. Although a "Berliner" is also a type of jelly doughnut, in the context used by JFK it could not have been misunderstood any more than if I told you "I am a danish" in English. You might think I was crazy, but you wouldn't think I was claiming to be a citizen of Denmark (Dänemark).

Part of the problem here stems from the fact that in statements of nationality or citizenship, German often leaves off the "ein." But in Kennedy's statement, the "ein" was correct and expressed that he was "one" of them.

Just shows you - how ignorant some of these "informative" web-sites are.

Kennedy made a complete ass of himself there and the German papers hooted for a week.

Well I am impressed. Seen a few double posts before, but never quintuple.

I wasn't around at the time, but have heard Humphrey b's version. After checking, wiki says the same, so if you are saying they are ignorant, I would love to know your sources of knowledge on this matter.

Apologies - completely off topic. Here is the extract from Wikipedia:

Jelly doughnut urban legend180px-Berliner-Pfannkuchen.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Berliner-Pfannkuchen.jpgA Berliner.According to an urban legend that has no basis in fact and is practically unknown in Germany,[2] Kennedy made a slightly embarrassing grammatical error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner," referring to himself not as a citizen of Berlin, but as a common pastry:

Kennedy should have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin." By adding the
ein
, his statement implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jelly doughnut".

The legend stems from a play on words with Berliner, the name of a doughnut variant filled with jam or plum sauce that is thought to have originated in Berlin.

In fact, the statement is both grammatically correct[3] and perfectly idiomatic, and cannot be misunderstood in context. The urban legend is prevalent only in English-speaking countries but largely unknown in Germany, where Kennedy's speech is considered a landmark in the country's postwar history.[4] The indefinite article ein can be and often is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence but is necessary when speaking in a figurative sense as Kennedy did. Since the president was not literally from Berlin but only declaring his solidarity with its citizens, "Ich bin Berliner" would not have been correct.[5] Similarly, after 9-11 many politicians said "today we are all New Yorkers" and nobody thought they meant "we are all glossy magazines" or "we are all cars."

The origins of the legend are obscure. One prominent instance of its re-telling was in 1988 when William J. Miller erroneously wrote in an April 30 New York Times article:

What they did not know, but could easily have found out, was that such citizens never refer to themselves as "Berliners." They reserve that term for a favorite confection often munched at breakfast. So, while they understood and appreciated the sentiments behind the President's impassioned declaration, the residents tittered among themselves when he exclaimed, literally, "I am a jelly-filled doughnut."

In fact, the opposite is true: The citizens of Berlin do refer to themselves as Berliner; what they do not refer to as Berliner are jelly doughnuts. While these are known as "Berliner" in other areas of Germany, they are simply called Pfannkuchen (pancakes) in and around Berlin.[6] Thus the merely theoretical ambiguity went entirely unnoticed by Kennedy's overwhelmingly local audience, as it did in Germany at large. In sum, "Ich bin ein Berliner" was both grammatically and idiomatically the appropriate way to express in German what Kennedy meant to say, which is exactly how Germans have understood and celebrated it since the day it was uttered.[7]

Although it has no basis in fact, the legend has since been repeated by reputable media, such as the BBC[8], The Guardian[9], MSNBC[10], CNN[11], Time magazine[12], and in several books about Germany written by English-speaking authors, including Norman Davies[13].

As for the creation of the speech, it had been reviewed by journalist Robert Lochner, who was educated in Germany, and had been practiced several times in front of numerous Germans, including Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt. The many video and audio recordings of the event show only enthusiastic applause following the statement. During the speech Kennedy used the phrase twice, ending his speech on it. However, Kennedy did pronounce the sentence with his Boston accent, reading from his note "ish bin ein Bearleener," which he had written out in English phonetics.

Try this link for the sausage:

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?...;event_id=99829

I was still working in London at the time, but had a German girlfriend (when the World Cup was on we were both working - phoned each other every time a goal was scored - but that was a few years later)

She was a great fan of JFK - but was upset at the ineptness of that remark, although the rest of the speech was popular.

"She was a great fan of JFK - but was upset at the ineptness of that remark, although the rest of the speech was popular".

Jing-jing ???

She was upset, poor little dear... But still a "great fan" of JFK...? Did she have ANY IDEA about the underlying politics...?

Here is a history-making situation, and people have to nitpick about the man's grammar, even after several sources give him the all clear?

Now I know I need to find a better hobby than lurching on TV, because this is getting to become a low point. Sorry to nag, but please, can we start to look on the bright side of life for a change?