Samui

N47HAN

Samui got bigger.

Compared to 4/5 years ago, the options are incredibly more vast and ranged. More hotels, more bars and places to eat, more things to do. The place is bigger. I believe (and this is just a guess) that the number of people coming to Samui have not really changed over the last few years. To that end.... Samui is no more quieter than it was say 5 years ago. Simmilar amounts of money are being spent now, as they were 5 years ago. Its just that now, these revenues are being shared by more bar owners, restaurants, hotels etc.

And so the bar owner in Chaweng who complains that 'Samui is dead now' is possibly wrong. Simply put, not so many people go to his bar now as they have far greater options and distractions.

One thing is for sure. The place sure 'looks' quieter. On my last trip, sitting outside magic light bar watching the world go by at 5pm in the afternoon.... Chaweng beach road looked more like Ban Rak beach road 10 years ago. You could litteraly drink half of your beer before a car, taxi or bike drove past. It looked kinda strange seeing the place so quiet.

Lamai now is as crowded as it gets.

Good!

Tell me something.... Does lamai still have the beer bar complex, surrounding the boxing? Does it still have a couple of decent late night clubs? (Bahaus or whatever).

Im back in Chaweng shortly and may have a giggle or two over in lamai for one night, if it is busy and lively at nights?

I only ask as i have read so much talk of bars/buildings being knocked down. I hope the beer bar area survived. Had many a good laugh over there.

Lamai now is as crowded as it gets.

Good!

Tell me something.... Does lamai still have the beer bar complex, surrounding the boxing? Does it still have a couple of decent late night clubs? (Bahaus or whatever).

Im back in Chaweng shortly and may have a giggle or two over in lamai for one night, if it is busy and lively at nights?

I only ask as i have read so much talk of bars/buildings being knocked down. I hope the beer bar area survived. Had many a good laugh over there.

I've not been in lamai since july but AFAIK bars around the boxing ring are still there.

late night venues in lamai are across the road from the boxing ring bars - fusion is open 'til 4am iirc, lek bar and seed (round the back of fusion, next to supersub) close at 6am.

soho bar used to be another late night spot - right next to the boxing ring bars - but I think it's closed down now.

I don't know what the story is with supersub at the moment - it was closed for refurb the last time I was in lamai.

There are 10 new bars off the fairly new "Walking Street" in the center of Lamai. One of these is vacant and for rent (suckers need apply).

A couple are offshoots of other bars -- Mailing, Lovely and Scooter.

There are a few bars that seem to do better than the others; Retro and Red Chilli do well and Retro just got some chicks from other bars who are lookers, and fun too.

Right around the corner is a row of new bars set to open as soon as they are fully rented. Looks like two of them are almost ready. The Lady Thai boxing area is still vibrant and the one behind the MacDonalds does some business. I am not sure about the dark end of the strip, just below the Thai boxing training area (which is being redone, demolition crews were there yesterday).

Of course the two short lanes and around the corner from there down from the Outback is still hopping, although a couple of places are empty -- Boom, Boom bar is for sale, and there is another one that has two or three girls who, bless their hearts, try very hard to get people in without being caustic about it.

As I mentioned elsewhere, aside from right now when it's cheek to jowl with "customers," Lamai is really slowing down in general as far as tourists. I have spoken to at least a couple of folks with kids who said that they didn't realize just how much sleaze was in Lamai and wondered about the wisdom of staying here with impressionable children. (Not a problem with the locals -- met my second mother/daughter bargirl team last night).

As for the question of, "Is it fun?" I'd have to say that the women are more engaging in Bangkok, but as in many situations, things are what you make of them.

Well you can also make the best out of the situation, so if you are bringing your children on a holiday to Lamai, they can have fun in bar areas aswell. You can have them play by dancing the poles with the bargirls or throw ice from buckets both at customers and the girls. I saw this more than once when I was in Lamai earlier this year.

The girls didnt mind, it was a little fun for them, the bars seemed to be mostly empty for three months and they had gotten a bit tired of sitting around playing domino every night.

Edited by Hex

Drove to Chaweng beach rd around 7.30 PM tonight, busy as in one of the "good old days" (traffic halts) and you got to remember that there are lot more offerings than just the road (Tesco, movies, Bic C, surrounding nice restaurants around island...). It is actually better that not everyone go marching there at the same time. Pick a number...

this argument will go on forever. half say it is ful the other say it is empty. people beleive what they see. i came on the ferry i was the only forang. yet all flights were full.

maybe samui is attracting different customers than before. i don't know. but as an island i would have to say the quality of service compared to the rest of thailand is pretty poor. i will go through a list of plus side and bad side.

bangkok airways airport. very beautiful very expensive.

the roads. as soon as u leave the new pier in natong you go straight into an island of pot holes.

can many people afford the taxis. i can't cheaper to rent a motor bike and get killed or nearly killed.

business wise. from my experience. i can find harly and compaies that want to give me vat receipts. even if i pay there tax for them. FUSTRATING cause i get the blame when the auditors come and have to pay a fine.

electric lines are a mess.

alot of traffic. too much for these small roads.

i get less reception of people that before. Just smile money then back turned.

I feel myself drifting away from samui. just me peronally becuase i have travelled round these last few months and i have found better places for me.

yet samui has alot to offer but i feel greedy will be its down fall and everyone will lose. yet again the economy round the world is not so good with the house prices in America so and the elections. might just be going through a bad patch. maybe things will pick up in a few months.

these things happen every so while. i suggest that business and govment officals learn from this bad patch and make it 10 times better.\

Khrap Khrun Khrap

Every person I know has only been to Samui Once including Thais. Its the been there done that thing but never again. There is much better value just about anywhere else in Thailand. Having said that when Im back in Australia on Biz trips the very first question from would be travellers is "Can wait to go to Samui whats it like?" There will always be enough 1st timers to keep most hotel and bar owners very happy for a long time to come.

Have just got back from 2 lovely weeks in Lamai Beach. Yes there have been some changes and not all of them have been good.

The introduction of the Night Plaza (Walking Street) appears a good idea and looks good. But the 10 New Bars at the end of the road are struggling from what i saw. I know Mailing very well so popped in to support her new bar there on a couple of evenings. I would say that these bars will eventually do well but with another dozen or so bars opening up down the side street, it may not be to long before each party of farangs can have their own personal bar.

My holiday was from the 10th to the 23rd and the first week did appear to be quiet (the drinking ban at the weekend not helping at all). Saying that a lot of bars that have been going for a while were doing a good trade. Winner Bar, Happy Bar, Smooth Pub, The Irish pub with live entertainment. All appeared busy most evenings. The 2nd week of my visit things picked up a lot more and by the time I was leaving most places appeared to be doing well.

SuperSub has closed - a real shame and that only leaves Fusion and Seed as places to party the night away (oh and that little bar opposite the entrance to Seed forget name)

The Mushroom bars around the lady boxing ring are still a good place to go. But sadly the mushroom bars behind McDonalds were all quiet except for Winner Bar and I have heard that these will be knocked down in March next year.

Billaboong Surf Bar has gone next to McDonalds previously my favourite place to sit for a drink in the afternoon and watch the world go by. Some disagreement between the Farang and his good lady, it happens.

Anyway I am sure that Lamai has looked quieter than before and there are many reasons

- Thai elections drinking ban

- inclement weather (it wasn't that long ago the place was classified as a disaster area, this will put people off booking)

- more bars over a wider area

- less clubs

But when I left the place was certainly starting to look much like its old self and I for one certainly enjoyed partying there still

The introduction of the Night Plaza (Walking Street) appears a good idea and looks good. But the 10 New Bars at the end of the road are struggling from what i saw. I know Mailing very well so popped in to support her new bar there on a couple of evenings. I would say that these bars will eventually do well but with another dozen or so bars opening up down the side street, it may not be to long before each party of farangs can have their own personal bar.

:o not surprised tbh - lamai had it's fair share of empty bars before the introduction of these new bars.

SuperSub has closed - a real shame and that only leaves Fusion and Seed as places to party the night away (oh and that little bar opposite the entrance to Seed forget name)

'lek bar' iirc.

Billaboong Surf Bar has gone next to McDonalds previously my favourite place to sit for a drink in the afternoon and watch the world go by. Some disagreement between the Farang and his good lady, it happens.

me too - RIP billabong. :D

Well you can also make the best out of the situation, so if you are bringing your children on a holiday to Lamai, they can have fun in bar areas aswell. You can have them play by dancing the poles with the bargirls or throw ice from buckets both at customers and the girls. I saw this more than once when I was in Lamai earlier this year.

The girls didnt mind, it was a little fun for them, the bars seemed to be mostly empty for three months and they had gotten a bit tired of sitting around playing domino every night.

Sounds charming :o:D

RAZZ

It is quite busy now, the busiest it will get all year in Lamai.

The decent-looking bar girls I have spoken with told me they are going out with two men short time each night (one after the other, not at the same time.... :o ), and even the the "ridden hard and put away wet"-looking and the old and ugly are getting some action (alcohol and poor lighting -- what a combination!).

Everything is pretty full and this made me think today just what a contrast this is with almost all of the rest of the year here.

If this is full, then most of the rest of the time I'd say that Lamai is probably at 40 to 20 percent of this.

I certainly like the relative quiet of the off-peak times, but I can tell that the girls and the business owners (and non-bargirls, should you spot one) are happy as clams for the boom time. If only the girls could actually save some of this quick wealth.....haha...

Yes Samui is quieter than it has been for many years and will stay that way until greedy people stop over charging and discriminating against visitors. The Bubble has burst and many business owners are feeling the pinch and would sell up in a heartbeat if they could.

Very true it's a few greedy people that are destroying the place . I have been coming here for over ten years and have had enough .

I have been coming here for over ten years and have had enough .

Let's face reality, where on earth is there a tourist island that has no development?

Indeed. I have been going to Lamai for the last 2 years and even in that short time I have seen many bars come and go..or at least change hands.

I don't know if I have 'had enough' yet, but the place does get old just like any other place does I suppose. Lamai at least always has a certain low grade charm and, dare I say, intimacy, that neither Phuket nor Chaweng will ever have.