Shredded Coconut

kyb789

Ha anyone seen that shredded sweetened coconut used for baking? Just another one of those great baking ingredients I cannot find in Thailand. Funny that Thailand wouldn't have something like shredded coconut in the stores. I've looked at Big C, many Villa markets, Foodland. No where to be found.

Edited by kyb789

Sorry not to be sarcastic, but go over to the fresh food section and get a fresh coconut and shred it. Want it toasted, just spread the shredded out on a cookie sheet and pop in an oven till golden, then you can freeze it for later use. We do about 5 at a time toast, then toss in a sealed container,freeze and measure out for recipes.

• 2 months later...
Ha anyone seen that shredded sweetened coconut used for baking? Just another one of those great baking ingredients I cannot find in Thailand. Funny that Thailand wouldn't have something like shredded coconut in the stores. I've looked at Big C, many Villa markets, Foodland. No where to be found.

We have also had a very hard time finding this stuff here in BKK, and have always brought back supplies from other countries we've visited. However, for the very first time yesterday I spotted some in Villa supermarket near Ploen Chit. It was quite small packages, I guess only a cup or so. In the same area as nuts/seeds/lentils etc.

Good luck!

The Thai kitchen tool to shread coconuts at home is I believe called a rabbit. I was reading an article about "riding the rabbit" (as the sharp blade although semi circular I think is compared to rabbit's teeth) some years ago. This process of home shreaded coconut was becoming quite rare as more and more people were buying ready shreaded coconut in packets from the markets. This link shows a lady sitting on her rabbit. Just go to the market and look for the pile of empty coconut shells.

In the same way I have not seen (not looked) small pre flavoured packets of ready to eat rice not sold here, the small boxes of dried sweetened coconut is not sold because you have the real thing availible for 10 Baht. Why not use fresh when you can?

Because fresh shredded coconut will not work in many baking recipes :o

agree with the poster who suggested you buy some and dry it yourself, far cheaper and less stressful than driving around trying to find a small bag of it.

The Thai kitchen tool to shread coconuts at home is I believe called a rabbit. I was reading an article about "riding the rabbit" (as the sharp blade although semi circular I think is compared to rabbit's teeth) some years ago. This process of home shreaded coconut was becoming quite rare as more and more people were buying ready shreaded coconut in packets from the markets. This link shows a lady sitting on her rabbit. Just go to the market and look for the pile of empty coconut shells.

I have a similar Indian shreader called a 'chirava'. A must for some Asian cooking.

I needed some to use in some biscuits I was making. and ended up buying about a kilo of the fresh stuff in the local market for 10 baht.

Got it home spread it out on a couple of baking trays in the oven on a low temp. and presto. Put what I didn't use in an air tight jar and it kept for ages.

Edited by gusG

Is dessicated the same as shredded? If so then they have it at the main Villa on Sukhumvit 33, I saw it 2 days ago when I was hunting for something else. I think it was in the same section as the sultanas and preserved orange peel. In a plain bag with a Villa label on it.