Skateboard

Bill97

I would like to find a good skateboard for a Christmas present for a 13 year old. Price about 2500-3500 baht. Other than Kaad Suan Kaew and Central Airport Plaza, are there any shops that might have one?

Kaad Suan Kaew is the only place i have seen them for sale, top floor in the area with the market type stalls but i think most seperate decks and trucks so mite stuggle with 3500b.

More to the point where to skate.

You should decide if you want to focus on a street deck or a halfpipe/quarterpipe deck.

If you are going for a street deck, and have to go budget, at least make sure the actual wooden board is a reputable brand. I'd also get reasonably good trucks as the cheaper ones will break easily when ollieing onto things and grinding rails and kerbs.

It's ok to spend less on the wheels and bearings, but if he's serious about skateboarding he will need to upgrade them as well later on.

For a halfpipe board, you'll really need decent wheels to start with.

As a guideline, the cheapest deck I could put together without compromising quality and using a Swedish online shop just a few minutes ago, was 7500 baht.

Not sure if this is of much help but j west of canal road on Huay Kaew there is a shop that I saw skate Boards for sale. It is on the North side of the road.

When I say west of canal rd it has been a few days since I walked that area but way before you get to CMU entrance for sure

Not sure if this is of much help but j west of canal road on Huay Kaew there is a shop that I saw skate Boards for sale. It is on the North side of the road.

When I say west of canal rd it has been a few days since I walked that area but way before you get to CMU entrance for sure

That's the shop right out my apartment building. Sorry, I don't know the name, and have no idea about the quality and types of boards and truck/wheel combos sold....but it is a shophouse store, 100% dedicated to skateboards. See a few locals doing maintainance/replacement work on their boards in front quite often. They also sell a lot of apparel, etc.

Headed west on Huay Kaew Rd. (towards mountain), just after crossing Canal Rd. (major intersection) you will see on the north (right) side of the street a 7-Eleven, a Fuji film shop, a series of small bars/eating shops/spa. Just before the Lanna 3 apartment building, the next to last shophouse store is the skateboard shop.

Hope this helps.

McG

The shop on Huay Kaew has a larger selection than the Kaad Suan Kaew stall and was being managed by the father of the owner who said that his son had 4 more skateboard shops in Bangkok malls. In CM they have 7 of the top 10 deck brands and some good brands in other components. I got components assembled there for 6000 baht. Could have done it for about 4000 with less quality.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate your prompt informative replies. I never would have found the shop without your help and MS's info on quality was right on.

It's been a few days and maybe you already know where you wanna go..... but you could also ask all the tricksters that are out practicing their moves every night in front of the Three Kings Monument in the middle of the city. I'm sure they know where to get all the hottest equipment for what you wanna do. Might be cross cultural fun showing your Western moves and picking up some of their Thai techniques.

Thanks RTD, I was not aware of the Three Kings Monument nightly practice. The board I bought is for boy I know and I will take him to the Three Kings Monument some evening. It would take some serious work before I could get out there with any moves because mine 40+ years ago were limited to downhill runs on a 2x4 with some old metal roller skate wheels nailed on to it.

Thanks RTD, I was not aware of the Three Kings Monument nightly practice. The board I bought is for boy I know and I will take him to the Three Kings Monument some evening. It would take some serious work before I could get out there with any moves because mine 40+ years ago were limited to downhill runs on a 2x4 with some old metal roller skate wheels nailed on to it.

:D I was right there with you- jacked off my sister's roller skates, ripped them apart, nailed to 2X4. Terrorized the neighborhood; down steep driveways into the path of oncoming cars, circa 1964..... :o

McG: Couldn't get the board in the water some days so had to get one on the road. I have not been to Doi Suthep for a few years but have been wondering, is the road surface good enough or are there too many pot holes for a good downhill run? Might it require an offroad skate board?

McG: Couldn't get the board in the water some days so had to get one on the road. I have not been to Doi Suthep for a few years but have been wondering, is the road surface good enough or are there too many pot holes for a good downhill run? Might it require an offroad skate board?

Ermmmm. Doi Suthep road surface quality is quite good. I ride it regularly on my pocket rice rocket.

However, I truly think it would be like the movie "Death Wish" to actually attempt on a skateboard. Too many mega-sized buses going both up and down, the usual songthiew-in-wrong-lane syndrome, and some quite steep sections.

Suggest you take a ride up and down a few times on a Wave 100 to see what I'm referring to..... :o

Yes, you are right. I do need to go again to refresh my memories of pedaling up and coasting down. It would require a clear road to allow for all the zigzags needed to slow down and I don't think there is such a thing as a clear road here. Not even early morning or full moon night.

:o

Bill Check out Esplanade G floor. There's a whole load of skateboard shops and an indoor skateboard park.

Prices from 2000+

Also on the 1st or 2nd floor of Esplanade there's another skateboard shop = Yeah!

They also have a shop in MBK (Maboonkrong)

• 3 months later...

In respect to shoes, I bought a pair of "Vans"last January. They looked like Vans, the felt like Vans, but the gigantic L appeared on my forhead 1 month later when they started to go soggy. I been a vans kid ever since the original checker boards came out (I still got 1 set to put on whenever I get sad.) I think you are best off ordering what you want from a clearing house in Singapore or stateside. I have seen alot of Duffs and Airwalk stuff, but they have all been copies. Now you might say whats the diff, I say it's in the sole grip and support. Different polymers is my guess. Choose carefully and don't be a sap like me. Last thing you want is your grip melting when you curb :o otherwise you will take my longstanding crown of Mr. Spazz Faceplant.

The Bearing on the wheel and also the Steel or iron Socket is importance also , notthing is cheap . when it come to fun nowaday , back in singapore some can cost as high as 20,000baht ,

you can try second hand Board .. offen gavien up by people who think stakeboarding is fun and after one or two fall . find that their ass is not worth the breaking .. there offen selling at much much chepaer price ,, and usually very pricy and good board for one small reason the better skateboarder are one that fall more .

also wear good protection :o and learn how to fall .

In respect to shoes, I bought a pair of "Vans"last January. They looked like Vans, the felt like Vans, but the gigantic L appeared on my forhead 1 month later when they started to go soggy. I been a vans kid ever since the original checker boards came out (I still got 1 set to put on whenever I get sad.) I think you are best off ordering what you want from a clearing house in Singapore or stateside. I have seen alot of Duffs and Airwalk stuff, but they have all been copies. Now you might say whats the diff, I say it's in the sole grip and support. Different polymers is my guess. Choose carefully and don't be a sap like me. Last thing you want is your grip melting when you curb :o otherwise you will take my longstanding crown of Mr. Spazz Faceplant.

" Off the Wall"

:D Still own several pair...

post-46099-1208400179.jpg

I would suggest "Outdoor" skateshop near CMU, it has been mentioned before.

Avoid the mall shops because those boards are a couple of seasons/years old (so they get them cheaper), but skateboards are not made to age well.

They get dried/brittle and are more prone to breakage, plus skateboarders are a fickle group and

they won't be "cool" anymore anyways.

I have skateboarded all around CM, its super dangerous, but it can be done. It not much different than riding a bicycle but you can get killed pretty easy by bad road conditions.

The road to CMU is super smooth and the trip from near Doi Suthep back to Central is lovely and downhill. Try it late at night if you want the whole road to yourself.

• 1 year later...
It's been a few days and maybe you already know where you wanna go..... but you could also ask all the tricksters that are out practicing their moves every night in front of the Three Kings Monument in the middle of the city. I'm sure they know where to get all the hottest equipment for what you wanna do. Might be cross cultural fun showing your Western moves and picking up some of their Thai techniques.

Skateboard tricks are the same the workld over. There arent tricks or techniques limited to certain countries. You will see every one all round the world doing the same moves. But yeah nice point about getting a bit of cross cultural mingaling going on.