Decided To Buy My First Exercise Treadmill

ThaiLife

Well Ive decided to buy my first exercise treadmill so can any one please tell me what to look for , I don’t really need any thing too technical just some thing to use a couple time a week any buying tips out there Please..

TL

Well Ive decided to buy my first exercise treadmill so can any one please tell me what to look for , I don't really need any thing too technical just some thing to use a couple time a week any buying tips out there Please..

TL

I made the decision to buy one recently too but decided to go with the Cross/elliptical trainer instead on advice in the shop and am very happy with it - delivered last Saturday 998 SGD fro Aibi

It does your upper body and well and is less stressful on joins such as knee's

Used it a lot and can even do 10 minutes now :o

If I keep it up I might go for a rowing machine too

There is a gym in my condo but I fnd it easier to do it in front of the telly for now - I might swim some more though and use the gym when I am fitter

Well Ive decided to buy my first exercise treadmill so can any one please tell me what to look for , I don't really need any thing too technical just some thing to use a couple time a week any buying tips out there Please..

TL

I made the decision to buy one recently too but decided to go with the Cross/elliptical trainer instead on advice in the shop and am very happy with it - delivered last Saturday 998 SGD fro Aibi

There is a gym in my condo but I fnd it easier to do it in front of the telly for now - I might swim some more though and use the gym when I am fitter

whaaa??? you gots to have at least 30 mins of elevated heart rate to get the aerobic benefits of exercise or are you havin' a 'funny' at the expense of us poor ole fat folks?...mods: persecute this poster...( :D )

I'm thinkin' of gettin' one of those tread mills meself as I'm gettin' ready to demobilise from my present assignment (no booze in Saudi and daily exercise routine) and shall end up back at the ranch in Thailand in an unhealthy environment to face packs of howling soi dogs and teenagers on motorbikes with the usual 'falang!, <deleted> you!' greeting when attempting to exercise on the streets.

Since I've been away the principal living area has moved to a 1st floor terrace recently built across the rear of three houses so the ground floor of our shophouse is now unused and available for these purposes.

Can't wait to see the reaction of the family and neighbors who are all hard working laboring types to an exercise contraption...'mah oh mah; dem falangs sho' is clazy...'

any treadmill recommendations?

Have a York Maximum 70626. Bought it in Oz about 5 years ago. The wife used it 5 or 6 times a week for 90 minutes.Kept her pretty trim. She jogged most of the 90 minutes, I used it to walk for the length of a movie. If you watch a movie while you go time passes pretty easy. Without the movie it is a drag. A couple of weeks ago it gave a big clunk and sparks from the motor windings. Checked the brushes and they look OK. Now we have the challenge of finding someone to repair it in Cha Am.

They do what they are suppose to if you get a good one. The automatic incline and programs are good but not truly necessary. If I remember correctly it cost about $3500 Oz 5 years ago that was pretty much top of the line back then.

So where can you find a rowing machine and do they do much good? How expensive are they?

TL

whaaa??? you gots to have at least 30 mins of elevated heart rate to get the aerobic benefits of exercise or are you havin' a 'funny' at the expense of us poor ole fat folks?...mods: persecute this poster...( :D )

I'm thinkin' of gettin' one of those tread mills meself as I'm gettin' ready to demobilise from my present assignment (no booze in Saudi and daily exercise routine) and shall end up back at the ranch in Thailand in an unhealthy environment to face packs of howling soi dogs and teenagers on motorbikes with the usual 'falang!, <deleted> you!' greeting when attempting to exercise on the streets.

Since I've been away the principal living area has moved to a 1st floor terrace recently built across the rear of three houses so the ground floor of our shophouse is now unused and available for these purposes.

Can't wait to see the reaction of the family and neighbors who are all hard working laboring types to an exercise contraption...'mah oh mah; dem falangs sho' is clazy...'

any treadmill recommendations?

Hey - I am up to 12 minutes morning and night now - I could only do 8 last Saturday when it was delivered :D

I even do 2 minutes at its most resistant setting

I do not know which ones are for sale in Thailand but mine seems fine for what I need - it will probably end up as a clothes horse in the spare bedroom :D

Its right in front of the telly - makes the main room lokk daft but its only me anyway. I could only do it with a distraction as my boredom threshold is very very low with anything

TL

we bought one and its great, ( the exercise carrying it in was enought for me ! ) my wife is right into it and my 5 year old runs backwards on it !, i have done a max of 15 mins and it works,i watch fawlty towers episode while on it or id be bored we bought secondhand for 9500 baht, bargain , unless it kills me ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Have a York Maximum 70626. Bought it in Oz about 5 years ago. The wife used it 5 or 6 times a week for 90 minutes.Kept her pretty trim. She jogged most of the 90 minutes, I used it to walk for the length of a movie. If you watch a movie while you go time passes pretty easy. Without the movie it is a drag. A couple of weeks ago it gave a big clunk and sparks from the motor windings. Checked the brushes and they look OK. Now we have the challenge of finding someone to repair it in Cha Am.

They do what they are suppose to if you get a good one. The automatic incline and programs are good but not truly necessary. If I remember correctly it cost about $3500 Oz 5 years ago that was pretty much top of the line back then.

So where can you find a rowing machine and do they do much good? How expensive are they?

I do not know abvout Thailand but i have found rowing machines pretty rare in Singapore - the Aibi shop i bought the cross trainer in only had two while it had dozens of treadmills and cross trainers.

My pal back in the UK swears by his rowing maching for a total body workout plus cardio and they seem to be a lot popular back there and reasonable priced.

TL

we bought one and its great, ( the exercise carrying it in was enought for me ! ) my wife is right into it and my 5 year old runs backwards on it !, i have done a max of 15 mins and it works,i watch fawlty towers episode while on it or id be bored we bought secondhand for 9500 baht, bargain , unless it kills me ! :D

Kelly Osbourne in Japan was using one to exercise dogs :o

TL

we bought one and its great, ( the exercise carrying it in was enought for me ! ) my wife is right into it and my 5 year old runs backwards on it !, i have done a max of 15 mins and it works,i watch fawlty towers episode while on it or id be bored we bought secondhand for 9500 baht, bargain , unless it kills me ! :D

Kelly Osbourne in Japan was using one to exercise dogs :o

FANTASTIC IDEA, MY DAUGHTERS ALWAYS WANTED A DOG !

• 2 months later...

TL

I know you're trying to be helpful but you sound terribly demotivating, and what you say it's not true - actually excercising for even a short time DOES give aerobic benefits. It depends on how fit you are and on the intensity of the exercise. For a beginner 10 minutes is fine, and trying to do a lot more than you can can be dangerous.

TL

I know you're trying to be helpful but you sound terribly demotivating, and what you say it's not true - actually excercising for even a short time DOES give aerobic benefits. It depends on how fit you are and on the intensity of the exercise. For a beginner 10 minutes is fine, and trying to do a lot more than you can can be dangerous.

dunno...I learned all I know about aerobics about 35 years ago when it was popular, maybe there's been sum recent developments since then regarding the benefits derived therefrom...

of course, one wouldn't recommend prolonged vigorous exercise to someone who's out of shape and otherwise unused to the associated exertion under any circumstances. However it is reasonable to recommend a suitable activity such as walking and progressing toward a more vigorous activity as the results allow...that is, of course, if one is ambulatory...

if elevated heart rate for 30 minutes 3 times per week is no longer required to obtain benefit from regular aerobic exercise and the associated cardiovascular system performance improvement please enlighten with further discussion...

......go for it ,....although I don't do much these days I reckon if your gonna buy a treadmill its worth spending on quality,I also have been told its not so punishing on you joints compared to pavement jogging,..."keep on running" :o

Edited by dee123

Guest Bellini

I bought my treadmill in Switzerland, can't advise where to buy it in Thailand. Central, perhaps?

Mine has a motor. I alternate 3 minutes at 5.5 km/h with 2 minutes at 7.5 km/h, do this for 20 minutes, then 10 minutes rest, then repeat the sequence, for about 1.5 hours.

post-59279-1206524579_thumb.png

I'm off for a session on the treadmill now, then only fish and salad for lunch :o

Edited by Bellini

I and one other guy bought some equipment from City Sport Thailand

I got a Horizon Paragon for 49500Bht markdown from 87500Bht.

Here the model:

http://www.jjbsports.com/treadmills/horizo...rod_130223.aspx

I was no impress with the staff knowledge / price in central or similar department store

One machine they have, I could get from an other sport shop with a 35% reduction.

Sport shops in department sport are where I find the best bargain.

Sure if you ask around, some will be for second hand.

I put my dog on it one time , he vomit !

post-3046-1206528345_thumb.jpg

tutsiwarrior: no it's not really required to do 30 minutes. Like I said, depends on your current fitness level, for a beginner 10 minutes will give visible results.

Even if you are very fit though, you can try HIIT (high-intensity interval training) which, according to the latest research, improves your cardio fitness dramatically. Basically it means alternating light with intense (for example, if you run, you would jog at ease for half a minute, then sprint for half, and so on, starting from 4 minutes and building up to 12 or so). You can find lots of info on this on the internet, if you google HIIT.

Prakanong: how is the eliptical going? I'm thinking on buying one myself, my knees are bad and the doctor said no more running. :o I saw some in Tesco and they seem very cheap.

• 2 months later...

I got an epilectial trainer. It has different settings and programs you can even make your own program if you want. I must say it works great. I had a cheaper version when i lived in Holland. I prefer them above treadmills because they dont strain your knees that much. I still dont like going on it because i hate aerobic excercises but i do it after my weight training.

I would go for an epilectical trainer, they sell them everywhere.

[

dunno...I learned all I know about aerobics about 35 years ago when it was popular, maybe there's been sum recent developments since then regarding the benefits derived therefrom...

of course, one wouldn't recommend prolonged vigorous exercise to someone who's out of shape and otherwise unused to the associated exertion under any circumstances. However it is reasonable to recommend a suitable activity such as walking and progressing toward a more vigorous activity as the results allow...that is, of course, if one is ambulatory...

if elevated heart rate for 30 minutes 3 times per week is no longer required to obtain benefit from regular aerobic exercise and the associated cardiovascular system performance improvement please enlighten with further discussion...

Try Googling "tabata intervals" for a start.

Try Googling "tabata intervals" for a start.

Tabata can be fun but is real intensive. Its one of the few programs that would promote anaerobic and arobic benefits at the same time. I wanted to try it with front squats but my technique isnt good enough yet. Might do it with deadlift. But i would not recomend tabata for ppl who are really out of shape.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?art...04-046-training

I would also recommend the elliptical trainer and would add that instead of clocking up interminable times per session, try what is called High Intensity Interval Training. You can have much greater gains in shorter times. It means you do (and this is the ideal - a goal to work up to): 4 minutes warmup, then 15 seconds at 100% exertion (as fast as you can go), then 2 minutes at an easy "walking" pace, then 15 seconds again and so on doing eight 15 second sprints ending with a 4 minute cool down. Alternate that with sessions of 4 minutes then 30 second sprints at 80% of your maximum speed, etc. I am 60 and did it for several months with very noticeable gains in ease, recovery times etc. and that was never getting up to the above numbers. I was still only doing 6 sprints at the end but my resting heart rate had dropped considerably and my body fat down to a little over 12%.

Tabata can be fun but is real intensive. Its one of the few programs that would promote anaerobic and arobic benefits at the same time. I wanted to try it with front squats but my technique isnt good enough yet. Might do it with deadlift. But i would not recomend tabata for ppl who are really out of shape.

I think anyone can benefit from doing interval training of some sort--you just have to scale it if you're starting from a really untrained status. I certainly wouldn't recommend a novice doing it with a technical exercise like front squats. A treadmill, bike, or just doing some burpees would be a better option. The main reason I threw that out is that if someone searches on that, they will eventually find a LOT of links that attest to effectiveness of doing some kind of interval work.

My favorite form of torture is to do Tabata on the Concept2 rower--barf bucket optional! :o

• 1 month later...

... with the usual 'falang!, <deleted> you!' greeting...

[\quote]

Please remind me where you live in LoS so I can avoid it like the plague!

When I exercise in the street, everyone smiles at me, says hallo, compliments me on my exercise, asks me how old I am and if I have a girlfriend or a brother who is looking for a new wife etc!!

No, I won't tell you where I live - don't want the area spoilt:)

Good luck with your exercise anyway

Simon

• 2 months later...