Thailand Warming

Upcountry

Okay, I was glad to see a more intelligent attempt to discuss global warming today, and in general I think it is a hopeful thing that it is a controversial topic that brings out the extremes in most of us. I understand the concerns of our mods that things can get out of control - can't understand why the first "global warming" thread went on so long - but this is an attempt to generate discussion of how global warming will affect folks in Thailand.

I'm thinking about khon Thai (rich and poor alike) and farang as well.

I fully believe that the biggest upside to the global warming scare/debate is that human society will finally move beyond an oil-based economy, if nothing else. I agree that poor countries have a legitimate beef (pardon the term) when rich countries tell them they should cut down on forest burning, etc., but that is definitely part of the puzzle. Another part is the fact that more methane comes out of the front of cows as they chew their cud than comes out the back (google this). Rice farmers could be convinced to reduce methane in their fields, and Three-Gorges proponents should consider the the methane coming out of the decomposing organic matter submerged by the dam. And of course developed countries need to start putting a cost on their carbon emissions.

Bottom line, in the early 21st century we are finally getting the impetus we need to move past the old paradigms and find a new way to co-exist with nature. Al Gore, and others, are creating a political will to fight Big Oil - again, a good thing.

As far as Thailand is concerned, I talk about my Thai better half now about current weather trends. We talk about how we need to take nature's current course into account as we consider our future. I fear that Thailand will be among the casualties as global warming continues. The Three gorges dam and forest destruction (which seems unstoppable) is likely to create a sad draught/flood cycle that will make water shortages a chronic problem here and contribute to political and economic problems. Call us Thai-ladesh. :o

How, as farangs, mostly, can we play a positive role in helping Thailand contribute positively to the effort to reduce our 'carbon footprint'? Many of us consider ourselves somehow superior. If so, how can farangs set a good example?

As for myself, I try to turn off things I don't need, and I'm working toward a setup where I can get by with less air-con. Despite some disadvantages, I'm considering converting my car to LPG. And so on. I'm keeping an eye on ways to generate my own electricity as it becomes more affordable.

Isn't it worth considering how we can play a positive role in Thailand's inevitable move toward a more 'green' agricultural and modern industrial economy?

UC

Edited by Upcountry

How, as farangs, mostly, can we play a positive role in helping Thailand contribute positively to the effort to reduce our 'carbon footprint'?

I'm going to delay the purchase of a 3 litre pick-up to replace my 2.5 litre pick-up.

I think these issues are viewed differently in the developing world to in the West.

Many of my well-paid professional friends in London cycle to work. There is a certain respect for people who do this. I was told if I were to cycle around Bangkok people would look down on me for obviously being of low educational status and therefore unable to afford a car.

Here in Phuket we both get around the island on scooters. For me it’s a groovy, fun and kind to the environment. For my gf, she has to endure shame and gossip from her co-workers. She is a senior manager but doesn’t have a car and worse still, her “farang” boyfriend doesn’t buy her a car. Clearly this chap must be hideously poor or else he doesn’t love her.

However there are some positive signs in Thailand. I was told that one of HM’s projects was to get all BKK taxis converted from petrol to more environmentally friendly LPG.